iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cylinder Speed

Started by dean herring, October 20, 2018, 08:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dean herring

Was toying with the idea of building a firewood processor. Need some help figuring out the cylinder speed. 
If there are some pictures out there I would love to see them 
Need all info I can get 
Thanks to everyone 
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

hedgerow

Dean
Surplus Center Lincoln Ne has hyd cylinder calculator on there web site. Just plug in your numbers and you can get your speed of the cylinder. Your hyd cylinder speed will be limited to your budget. 

Gearbox

I have a 4 x 24 with a 16 gallon 2 stage running 3600 full cycle 10 seconds .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

dean herring

Thank y'all very much. I've got a lot more questions.
Gearbox is that 16 bpm 
What HP does that require?

dean herring

hedgerow

Dean 
Check out Surplus Center's web site lots of good hyd information. All the two stage pumps have the HP required listed. 

dean herring

Thanks all for the information 
Is a two stage pump a must?

blackfoot griz

Quote from: dean herring on October 23, 2018, 08:47:32 PM
Thanks all for the information
Is a two stage pump a must?

In my opinion, it's not a must, but unless you have a lot of HP to work with,  a two stage is the way to go.  Are you repurposing a powerplant or starting with new stuff?

mike_belben

If you want a little engine to move the cylinder quick and have good splitting power it is.  It does the exact same thing a 2speed rearend does for a truck.  

Praise The Lord

dean herring

Not new,my wife won't let me spend that much money 😏😏
I have a coworker that is into lawnmower racing.He is gonna see if he can find a good one. I probably won't get started on it till next spring.
Got too many irons in the fire. 
But I will be gathering up stuff.
How do you get hp required for the hydraulic chainsaw?

hedgerow

Dean
If you have a wife that doesn't like to spend money you better build a firewood processor that uses a chain saw to cut the wood. You will find hyd chains saws even if you build one your self take a lot of money. It takes a fair amount of GPM of oil to run them. Which in turn takes a fair amount of money to make that happen.  

mike_belben

Find a dead husky 61, 262, 266/68 etc etc for the large frame bar mount and typically .050 guage chain.  Thinner kerf takes less power makes less chips.

Remove the rear handle, handlebar, ignition, carb and muffler.  Make block off plates for the intake and exh ports.    Braze the flywheel nut to the end of the crank with flywheel still on.  Now weld a sacrifical socket to a lovejoy coupler.. It must be concentric.  This is your drive adapter.  Mount your hydraulic motor with another lovejoy, a spider and your drive adapter on a cradle with the saw chassis and bar all fixed to it.  Either remove the starter cover or for safety, gut it and bore a center hole for the drive adapter to engage the hex nut.    Plumb a gravity feed jug of oil to a hose barb threaded into the top of the oil tank.  

To prevent pumping losses youll want to remove rings and drill some holes in the piston dome.  You need to keep the engine from pumping, keep it from splashing oil out or ingesting trash, but still be vented so the seals dont puke out.. and keep it in balance so it doesnt vibrate your hyd coupler and the crank bearings to death.  Removing the rod and piston wont work because the crank throws are weighted to balance.  The flywheel is also part of balancing at those RPMs.

A hole could be drilled in the case with a vent line to the plug hole i guess but i think holes in the dome will do the job.  Id keep the block vented with atleast t-shirt filtration and probably drill and tap the bottom for an NPT oil drain hole.

There is your cheap barsaw with automatic oiler, clutch, brake, plentiful bar and chain combos and variable rim sprockets for fine tuning cutter speed.   You should be able to run it off a cylinder spool since there isnt a lot of mass and it does have a clutch.  You could also probably run a small sawdust blower or baby belt conveyor off the drive coupler between the hydraulic motor and crank adapter if you set it up with double bearing support and the takeoff power (belt or chain) in between them.  Every time you ran the saw it would convey the chips and not waste power or use up component service life by running when you arent making chips.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!