iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Comments on a 1968 International dump truck

Started by Ljohnsaw, November 12, 2018, 11:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

I found this on my local CL: 

I asked the basic questions (miles, GVWR, engine size) and I got back that it has a V8 gas engine.  It has "Spicer" mud flaps so I'm assuming a spicer rear end - a good thing?  I have a need to haul some material and thought this would be good purchase at $2,500.  So, what load can a "6-wheeler" haul?  2 ton? 6 ton?  More? At what point do I need to get a different drivers license?  Being gas powered, do you measure mileage in MPG or GPM? ;) Could this be a candidate for a snow plow?

The ad mentioned either a trailer or a moving permit to haul it off so I believe it is in running condition.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Dave Shepard

I have a '68 Loadstar 1800. 24,000 gvw, weighs 10,500 with a 12' platform dump. When the carb was well tuned, it would get 6 mpg with 7.10 rear gearing and a 392 engine.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ljohnsaw

Dave, thanks for the info! 
Not familiar with the lingo - Platform dump?  So your truck has a load capacity of 13,500 lbs?  That's about a 4 to 5 yard capacity (of gravel)?  This one has a 2 speed rear end - does yours?  What kind of driver's license is necessary to operate it?
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Resonator

If the truck weighs less than 26,001 lbs, and does not have air brakes, you probably do not need a CDL. But, you will want to check with your state DMV to be sure. You will want to research how expensive annual registration and insurance would be, and if it needs tires or repairs to be roadworthy. Keep in mind trucks that old are loud and slow compared to new equipment, (also may not have power steering). As far as using it as a snowplow truck, yes. Many counties and townships use single axle dumps for there snowplowing. After that they get sold, and they finish there lives with snowplow contractors, usually with a block of concrete in the bed for weight, or sand if they also sand/ salt parking lots.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Dave Shepard

Platform dump is just a flat deck. I have wooden sides that drop into stake pockets. Mine was a firetruck, so no two speed. Anything 26,000 pounds or less is under cdl. Put a trailer on, and you will be over.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bodagocreek2

Just wondering why you would need a trailer to haul it off it is in running condition.

Logger RK

I have a little older IH dump truck. I believe around the same category. I think in Wis if it under 26,000 gvw you don't need a CDL or annual inspection. But not sure,so you should look it up to know what's required. Last I had mine on the road a DOT happen to stop me. It's been my fuel barrel stand since. But I do plan on getting it road worthy again.

mike_belben

Get the vin, call your insurance company and see if they will even write a noncommercial policy for it.  Geico and most all the others refused me with an 86 international mini tractor for moving.  Progressive commercial has been good to me for 2 years.  

Next take vin to your registry or clerk or wherever you go and find out if youll need a special plate or if itll be forced into commercial.  mass for example says all duallies are commercial.  $129 fmcsa inspection on truck and every trailer it tows.  No homemade trailers can be hooked behind a commercial plate.  It was a fortune to drive big old junk trucks, i never passed insp.  Cheaper to move far far away.  Also ask if its by a 12month registration or a calendar date.  In mass youd pay say $240 plate fee in september then all over again jan 1st.  If you sold truck in february, no rebate.  Big money racket. 

Farm plates is the only escape from that stuff in a lot of places. You may also need DOT numbers and medical card.  Theres no standardized answer, everywhere is different. 
Praise The Lord

SawyerTed

How much hauling can you hire for the same money?  That would be what I would use to guage whether it's worth the headache of maintaining it.  As others have said $2,500 is the starting cost.  You could easily be at $3,500 with taxes, inspection, insurance, registration.  That's before hauling the first load of anything and before any repairs necessary.  

If you have a good pickup truck, a dump trailer might be a better alternative.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Ljohnsaw

Thank you for all the input.  

I'll see if I can get the VIN for insurance and registration info.

Re: hauling off vs. driving - This truck is way out from the highway so maybe it doesn't have enough gas in it to get back to a station with only getting 6 or 7 mpg? ;)

Uses:

I have a rock quarry about 35 miles from me (down the hill).  Trucking is $100 to $125/hr to haul.  They don't do it by the mile.  So one trip would cost me about and hour and a half.  That's a lot of gas to feed this little guy.  I need probably 50-75 yards to make a 120' driveway.  So, 10 to 15 trips with this truck or 5 to 7 with a transfer rig?

Picking up logs from the bottom of my property and haul to the top for my mill.

Possible snow plow truck.

Just want to have a dump truck...

John Sawicky

SawyerTed

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 13, 2018, 09:32:33 AM
Just want to have a dump truck...
I hear that!   That one statement makes the math irrelevant! :D  I own boats so I understand.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

maple flats

I used to have a retired school bus as a rolling workshop. With a gas engine under the hood. With a fresh tune-up it got 4.5 MPG, it went down from there and it was not loaded very heavy. I have a CDL but it was under the 26,000 so it was not required. It did not have air brakes, which now require CDL, but at that time it did not.
After that I got a 1984 24' International flat bed with a 9 liter diesel. It was 25990#, and this  had air brakes, it was at the end of the time when a CDL was required, so either my brother (no CDL) or I could drive it.
The beauty of that was the mileage, it got 14.5 MPG loaded or unloaded. I could never figure how, but we loaded it up with a boxy OWB or 2 totaling up to almost 8,000# and it still got the same as when empty. It never made sense to us but we liked it anyways. After that we got a roololback on a stretched 1 ton and the mileage fell to about 10-11. That one varied a lot and we lost 2-3 MPG when loaded, it was gas. At that time we did not need a CDL unless we were hauling for hire.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: maple flats on November 13, 2018, 10:21:18 AMI could never figure how, but we loaded it up with a boxy OWB or 2 totaling up to almost 8,000# and it still got the same as when empty.

I have a 4.7 gas Tundra 2wd.  If I baby it, I get 14-15 mpg.  Loaded I get 16 mpg.  Doesn't make sense.  If I tromp on it, my rpms at 80 mph is 30% lower than when I baby it.
John Sawicky

bodagocreek2

I always wanted one also. Bought a 1999 F350   V10 with 12 alum box. sold truck 2 years ago having had it for 7 years. Tires $1200, Complete brakes front and rear $2200, tags and ins. almost $600/yr. Wished I would have bought a dump trailer also, many on the road now.

mike_belben

A 2nd truck with one driver is much more expensive to insure than a single truck and many trailers.  The insurance company will assume 2 trucks means 2 drivers but with only one license number the other driver must be your pillhead hired hand so the risk and premium are very high.  Having 2 trucks and 2 good drivers listed dropped my whole policy like 40%

In my case, adding another old "farm" truck will cost say 700 a year for high coverages (nothing on my vehicles) but another trailer is only $30.  Your one towrig can only tow one trailer at a time.  2 trucks, twice the risk.

Id try to find a 1ton mason dump.  The under CDL/MDT slot is a bad place to be these days.. The book will say your exempt, the cop will say your out of service plus tow plus impound. the court will say sign your plea bargain here, and send $275 to this address. And you'll say why didnt i get a CDL or stay with a ton truck?  Atleast thats how its gone for me. My out of service cost right around $3000. Thats what i paid for the truck.

Oh and finding parts for a paystar...  Have fun.  My $3000 MDT has generated 17k in expenses and counting.  The present never tells you the whole future picture. Its always just one more expensive part away from being a good rig.  I am glad to say mine is a very reliable truck now and it does what i built it for.  But im trapped in MDT zone.  Cant get my money back, cant make a living with it.  Always at risk of another roadside colonoscopy.
Praise The Lord

maple flats

I don't think we ever had to 9 liter up to 70 MPH, let alone 80.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Gearbox

Take the vin to the IH dealer and get him to print a line set ticket . This is the print out that the factory used to build that truck . With that in your hand you can walk into any IH dealer parts man and get almost any part . DON"T LOOSE IT .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Thank You Sponsors!