iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does pitch matter when replacing a Chainsaw bar?

Started by LilRobert1367, January 15, 2019, 10:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilRobert1367

I was wondering if the pitch matters when it comes down to replacing a chainsaw bar?

I've been rebuilding my grandfather old Mcculloch PM610 with a 20 inch bar (3/8 pitch sprocket/70DL/.050 gauge). When looking for a replacement 20 inch bar I see more chainsaw bar that say works with a pitch of .325 especially when it comes down to replacing it with a vintage new old stock 20" Mcculloch bar. So does pitch matter when it comes down to replacing the bar?

sawguy21

Welcome!!! Yes, pitch does matter. If you change to .325 chain you will also need to change the drive sprocket. If the saw has a floating rim then just change that, otherwise it is a new drum which may not be available. If the new bar has a replaceable tip change it to 3/8 and you are golden.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

LilRobert1367

Yeah the sprocket that is on the drum is a floating rim so I can replace it with a .325 if I have to but I would really like to keep it at 3/8. I been looking at the replaceable tip bar and I found one that I might go with if I can't find a Mcculloch brand one. I didn't realize that a 20 inch mcculloch brand bar would be hard to find at a 3/8 pitch. If I have to I will keep the old bar and just do some maintenance on it since its really not in that bad of shape until I find what I'm looking for. Thanks for your reply.

Air Lad

Quote from: LilRobert1367 on January 15, 2019, 10:12:53 PM
I was wondering if the pitch matters when it comes down to replacing a chainsaw bar?

I've been rebuilding my grandfather old Mcculloch PM610 with a 20 inch bar (3/8 pitch sprocket/70DL/.050 gauge). When looking for a replacement 20 inch bar I see more chainsaw bar that say works with a pitch of .325 especially when it comes down to replacing it with a vintage new old stock 20" Mcculloch bar. So does pitch matter when it comes down to replacing the bar?
Definitely pitch matters
Also gauge
I had a eronious chain that was .005 mm thinner and the whole dynamic of that caused unworkable hot result

Al_Smith

A 20" 10 series Mac bar should not be hard to find .Fact they are or were one of the most common used on a 610 .

ButchC

I would assume the bar you found is roller nose or it would not state it is for .325 chain. Pitch only matters for roller nose bars. As Al said the correct roller nose bar for your saw with 3/8 pitch is available and cheap. Check ebay.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Al_Smith

Ahh yes Fredricktown Ohio my birth home of record some over 70 years ago .I also scanned e-bay , there are several.some used some new .They certainly have became rather proud of them in the last several years . 10-15 bucks used to buy a used one .

ButchC

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 16, 2019, 04:14:58 PM
Ahh yes Fredricktown Ohio my birth home of record some over 70 years ago .
Actually we are  closer to being citizens of Lucerne but only Fredericktown area people know where that is, LOL
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

sawguy21

The Oregon bar you want is p/n 200RNDD176, it is a 3/8 pitch, 20" with the replaceable tip. Somebody likely has a few gathering dust.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!