iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 09, 2018, 09:53:14 PM
A lot of work running a sawmill full-time 4x4, and there's always something to do or get. I'm going to look at a 2013, 35k dies genset in the morning. ::)
You ain't just a kiddin!  Good deal!  I'm too far in it now but eventually I'll prolly make the switch over to electric and power with a genset.  Be nice to have fewer PM's to do.
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

In NH with the electric so high $$$$. I will save a lot of $$ with the Genset.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bandmill Bandit

some pics from a couple of good sawing days.

A couple of real good days.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Peter Drouin

Nice setup, Nice big yard to move around. smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.

paul case

Nice logs you are sawing there too. 

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WDH

Very nice, very straight logs.  Ice cream logs.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bandmill Bandit

The interesting part is that the cut list was

2 quarter by what ever the log would give for width for siding, with a couple 12 quarter by what ever quarter sawn no pith so it was a pretty easy cut list.

The 2/4 stuff has been laided out on 4X4s to "weather"  so it will look like old barn wood by august. The 3 inch stuff is for the wrap around veranda floor that was 8 feet wide.  Its all for a rustic timber frame replica "restoration". The only thing original is the old stone foundation but it will be a pretty spectacular house when done.

Based on its location I think it may have been an old stage route stopping house. The barn foundation is still in good shape and some of the oak beams from that have been salvaged. The barn and black smith lean-to rebuild is next summers rebuild project.  

Was a 2 story 7 bed room with servants quarters in attic  1890s vintage build. This cutting session was the first. More larger size pine logs are coming when the road bans are off. Thats what the big timber will get cut out of.

Also need some large fir or hemlock for the main beams and joist which will be coming this summer as well.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Peter Drouin

I like the old houses, I have customers/ builders,  come for timbers all the time.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bandmill Bandit

This one is done! 10 hours of cutting All spruce. 60, 2"X6"X8' and 320, 1" X what ever X 8' wind slabs Average was about 8" to 10". 

Put on Turbo 7* carbide when i set up the mill and its still on there and cutting very well. Id say cutting rate is 15 to 20% faster but will have to do a few jobs to get an accurate estimate for that. I did finish about 3 hours faster than I had thought. Excellent cut quality as well. I am impressed!   

Peter Drouin

Nice setup. Do you cut with carbide a lot? 
A&P saw Mill LLC.

47sawdust

Bandmill,
What do you call that type of wagon you are stacking on?I have two sets of wagon running gear that I use in a similar fashion ,much smaller though.I wouldn't be able to turn yours around here in Vermont.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

I wonder if that trailer was used for round bales of hay.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bandmill Bandit

You nailed it CFarm! It was and still is used to move round bales. He has 2 of them To haul his hay and straw home for just over 200 moma cows.

All the lumber I cut this trip out to his place is for rebuilding wind slab fences for his wintering corrals and paddocks. He has a few loads of logs ordered (3 I think) to cut more slabs and lumber for 3 new lean-too type cattle shelters in his calving paddocks as well as 2x6 and 2x8 to renew his corrals in general.

Ill be back out at his place as soon as the crop is in the bin this fall.

DPatton

Quote from: paul case on May 17, 2018, 01:33:40 PM
Nice logs you are sawing there too.

PC
;) Your right on that one Paul, Never seen a log that straight. Look's like they should have been power poles. :D
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Lawg Dawg

Walnut slabs, cedar cookies, and now some red oak slabs...trying to stay away from the pine during these summer months  :(

I didn't own them walnut slabs even 24 hours 8)...on the hunt for more :D

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Peter Drouin

Nice lumber Lawg Dawg,

Getting the addition done.

Finish up some winter cut 16' Pine.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Decent load from today...I heard that in the south they don't haul lumber like this   :'(

Boy, back in my day..

Darrel

They don't haul it like that in the West either.  We don't need stakes to hold lumber on the truck here. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

PAmizerman

Slow down 4x4 you're making me look bad :laugh: :D
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

4x4American

Quote from: Darrel on June 28, 2018, 10:39:41 PM
They don't haul it like that in the West either.  We don't need stakes to hold lumber on the truck here.
Smart aleck lol  I was talking footage wise..the stakes are there for logs not for lumber
Boy, back in my day..

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

PAmizerman

Spent today sawing some 4x17x12 and 4x14x12 for a timber frame

I used the old scrap piece over the clamp trick so I could flip the cant without boogering it up.
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

4x4American

That's some big stuff.  Pretty cool.  You have power there?
Boy, back in my day..

PAmizerman

I run a 100 foot extension cord from my dad's building you can see in the background.

I just bought 17 acres that is 9 miles from my current location. It's right along a busy state route. I have the choice of single or three phase there. I'm not gonna now how to react to all that room once I get moved there.
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

4x4American

Quote from: PAmizerman on July 16, 2018, 08:35:20 PM
I run a 100 foot extension cord from my dad's building you can see in the background.

I just bought 17 acres that is 9 miles from my current location. It's right along a busy state route. I have the choice of single or three phase there. I'm not gonna now how to react to all that room once I get moved there.
That's awesome man great to hear.  You might think it's alot of room, but just wait lol . I thought that the first driveway I put in was gonna be enough, but it wasn't even close to enough after a short while lol
Soon as you can put a sawdust blower in.  SOOOO much better.  Woodmaster sells one for a very reasonable price and it's very simple to install.  My youtube channel has a video of it.  Click on the youtube icon by my avatar and it'll bring you to my channel.
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!