iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a mill.. FIRST LOG WAS A SUCCESS!!

Started by jwh f-100, January 12, 2018, 01:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Not nearly as elegant but you could use a welded eye screw-eye, a cable thimble and cable clamps.  Making your own, you could go with a slightly lighter weight cable and then not have to worry about running out of room on the winch spool.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

jwh f-100

When I fastened my cable to the spool I went around it one extra time. Probably didn't need to. While it's not really an issue i will probably remove that extra cable..  With that little extra removed it won't double up..
Why buy it when you can build it.

jwh f-100

More done today.. Good progress on the guard. On the bad side my first blade is defective and the casters I bought won't work. Looking for suggestions on casters.. 

Not really related but I built this a couple weeks ago with spare junk. It works great!

jwh f-100

More progress today.. Nothing worthy of photos really. I was just cutting steel for my log bed... 

At this rate I'll be making boards after a few more days work!   8)

I'm trying to decide if I should mount it on a trailer or not..  smiley_whacko

Kwill

I mounted mine on a trailer so it would be portable and easier to move around. Eventually I may build a shed to put it in and pour a concrete slab to put it on. Although it is nice it being at knee level instead of down at foot level. Don't have to bend down to remove boards.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

jwh f-100

The big drawback for me is needing to lift the log up on the trailer..  

Kwill

Build a log arch big enough to set them on it.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

starmac

If I was going to mount one stationary, it would be above knee height too. The low ones just looks like they will make an old man out of a young man way too quick.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

jwh f-100

Good point on the height guys..  It has me contemplating a push bar on the saw head rather than the "chassis".. Hmmmm

jwh f-100

Wow. Been over a month since I've posted updates. 

I'm almost ready to saw logs. I need to fine tune the blade an put my front cover in place. Once it seems to be operating as it should I'll have to add many finishing touches..

jwh f-100

I milled my first log yesterday.. Everything went smooth and straight!!  

Cant wait to wrap up the minor thing and bang out some lumber!! 

btulloh

HM126

ssn vet

Just got through this entire thread.... lot's of good info.  Thanks to all that posted.

One question for the OP.

How come you put your pillow blocks on top of the cross rails?   Seems like most I've seen are on the bottom and that would give you some more clearance above the blade.

Inquiring minds want to know  :)

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jwh f-100

Quote from: ssn vet on August 23, 2019, 04:34:04 PM
Just got through this entire thread.... lot's of good info.  Thanks to all that posted.

One question for the OP.

How come you put your pillow blocks on top of the cross rails?   Seems like most I've seen are on the bottom and that would give you some more clearance above the blade.

Inquiring minds want to know  :)
Just a rookie mistake I guess. LOL  :)

Thank You Sponsors!