iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small home made wood stove

Started by osage outlaw, January 18, 2018, 10:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

osage outlaw

I have an insulated 8'x24' work shop inside my garage.  I was using small electric heaters for the first several years.  I have a lot of scrap wood from cutting longbow staves.  It made sense to use that as a free heat source.  I took 2 propane tanks and made a small stove.  I tried to use some old tools where I could in the build.  The door handle and damper handle are made from wrenches.  The door handle catch is a hammer head.  The base is made from push mower bagger frames.  I did not want to run the chimney through the roof.  I got a piece of stainless steel and cut it to fit the window opening.  I run the 3" car exhaust chimney out through it.  I take it down during the summer.  This little stove does a great job keeping my workshop warm.  I can heat it for 2 days with a tightly packed 5 gallon bucket of wood.  This is the 3rd winter using it. 

This wood stove kind of saved my life last winter.  Right outside of my work shop door I keep 2 50 gallon drums of firewood.  I was in my work shop when I heard my teenage daughter pull into the garage.  I went to open the door to say hi to her when I heard the engine rev and tires squeal.  She had hit the gas instead of the brake pedal.  The car crashed into the drums of fire wood and then into the wall of my work shop.  I was standing directly on the other side.  The wall flew in and knocked me into my workbench.  Luckily I wasn't hurt.  Those 2 drums of wood absorbed a lot of the impact and slowed her down before she hit the wall .  If they hadn't of been there the car would have sped up instead.  I would have been crushed between the car and my work bench.  It was a very scary situation for both of us. 

The two tanks welded together

This was a temporary chimney mount the first winter.  Since then I have made sturdier aluminum mounting brackets for it.

I lined the bottom with fire brick

Woodcutter_Mo

Nice work, I like the wrench handles! What type of chimney pipe are you using?
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

osage outlaw

Thanks.  I'm using 3" car exhaust.

Kwill

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

crazy4saws

Sweet wood stove, I also like the wrench handle. The upright design saves space,"scrape" bager frames utilizing free material, then the added fire bricks. While Im not a skilled fabricator, Ive done enough projects to know you invested some time in this.

Added a LP, furnace to dads shop, stuck the 2"pvc flue out an open window, cut plywood board out to fit in the window with a 2" hole. You can disconnect it after heating season, keeps things looking nice, plus prevents possible roof leaks.

Its interesting to see how other utilize what they have to build what they need instead of going out and buying the item. Glad your ok after that freak accident. Look forward to seeing your future builds.

tree-farmer

Nice. I have a 20 gal. Pressure tank I have been eyeing for a shop wood heater, this gives me some good ideas. Now all I need is time to tinker.  Really like the air control /damper.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

thecfarm

Got it up in the air so you don't have to bend over to feed it. I like it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

TKehl

Very cool.

Is that a receiver hitch for the damper?
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Hilltop366

Cool...well..um...Hot!

My Dad and I made a workshop stove once with a 40 gallon electric water heater and old metal toilet seat hinges, not as refined as yours as we used a jigsaw to cut out the main door and the clean out door and screwed the hinges to the cutouts then cut a hole in the top for the stove pipe and done. It worked pretty good.

osage outlaw

Quote from: TKehl on January 19, 2018, 11:44:21 AM
Very cool.

Is that a receiver hitch for the damper?

No.  It was just a piece of 2" square tubing.

Crusarius

that looks freaking awesome! I have been thinking how nice something like that would be in my shop. be alot nicer than the salamander and maybe then I could paint out there and not get the toxic fumes.

So is you shop actually 8 feet long 24 inches wide?

TKehl

Waste not want not.  It's the perfect size for working on bow staves!   ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

osage outlaw

Crusarius

that sounds more like it. I was thinking you were really skinny :)

osage outlaw

Quote from: Crusarius on January 19, 2018, 03:25:09 PM
that sounds more like it. I was thinking you were really skinny :)

Nope.  I'm the opposite of really skinny.

Crusarius

osage outlaw

Not even close.  I'ved been told I'm built like a fire hydrant.  I took that as a compliment.

LeeB

Do you have any problems with dogs?  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

fishpharmer

Well done on the stove build.  8) I like the vent and relatively large door size.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

GRANITEstateMP

I also like the fact that your not bent over to fill up the stove, good build!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

jaygtree

i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

bodagocreek2

Thank You Sponsors!