iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band mill Router Plane

Started by Kbeitz, January 25, 2018, 01:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

It's a puzzle with the blades I have been finding. They come sharp and work great for a while. I don't sharpen them right like other people do but what I have been doing works for me. I still use a dremel and a hand set tool without ever taking the blade off the mill. Once I put a blade on the mill it does not ever come off until it snaps in two. I've sawed a lot of lumber like this and i know it saved me a ton of money.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

starmac

I understand what you are talking about, but I would be tempted to buy a band and resaw a slab or two and see if it doesn't save you a bunch ow time with your planer.

I know different species of wood saws different and I have only any experience with our spruce, but it cuts nice and flat, every now and then I will hit a knot that must be harder than others and cause the blade to rise a little, but mostly they are dead on from one end to the other.
you guys have a lot of nice hardwood to work with, so it may be all together different.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Kbeitz

Thanks. I have a box of new 4 degree blades that I use and I just finished up a box of 7 degree blades. Now I got around 40 junkies to play with . I have lots of time to do this and it's all just a hobby for me.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

21incher

Great job, looks like it works good. Infinity makes a 2 inch dado planer bit that is supposed to leave a very smooth finish when used on slabs. It has carbide on both the face and edge. I think it should be turning about 18000 rpm for the best cut. One thing I find on small slabs with my cnc router is the dryer the slab is the less fuzz you see from the cut. Thanks for sharing this journey. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Kbeitz

Well it's working great. The only problem I had so far is the one clamp I had a rubber foot glued on the end of it using contact cement. It would not hold.  It would just slide off. I fixed it with JB-weld. Now it's holding. I just wish it was a little faster. The slabs I'm working needs about 1/2" taken off each side to flatten them out. To take that much off takes around 10 minutes each side.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

Well, can you take less of a bite and move faster (more than twice the speed)?  Can you alter the pulley setup and boost your RPM?  Do both?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Crusarius

looks like you need a 6" cutter. That would speed it up alot. Course those are really expensive

Kbeitz

I did my fist hard wood today. I had some spalted Maple. It worked so much better than I hoped for. I was thinking that the hard wood would be so much harder to cut. I think it cut better than the White Pine.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

any tearout on the edges? looks great.

Magicman

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 17, 2018, 07:44:53 PMI just wish it was a little faster.  To take that much off takes around 10 minutes each side.
Considering what you are doing, I would think that 10 minutes per side is very acceptable.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Quote from: Crusarius on March 18, 2018, 02:25:53 PM
any tearout on the edges? looks great.
Very little where the wood was kinda rotten. Nothing where the wood was good.  I really want to buy a good index cutter for this machine.
  One thing that really surprised me is how quite this is. If I only cut 1/4" off the slab you cant here it. The motor is real quite. The spindle makes no sound and the cutting of the wood males no noise. The only thing I here is my cable rubbing the side of the pulley that moves my carriage. When I start cutting 1/2" or more then it makes some noise.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

That is sweet. that came out really nice. it makes me want to build one. I should probably finish the mill first.

Is it wrong I already started design V2 before finishing V1?

Kbeitz

Quote from: Crusarius on March 19, 2018, 07:35:48 AMIs it wrong I already started design V2 before finishing V1?

It will never end. You will keep thinking of changes to make. Especially if you hang around here and get more ideas.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

catalina

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 14, 2018, 12:22:42 PM
You'r not that far away. Stop in...
only about 240 miles, lol. Next time Im up that way Ill give you a shout! Gene

Kbeitz

Quote from: catalina on March 19, 2018, 01:50:15 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on March 14, 2018, 12:22:42 PM
You'r not that far away. Stop in...
only about 240 miles, lol. Next time Im up that way Ill give you a shout! Gene
Please do that....
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Larry

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 18, 2018, 08:20:25 PMI really want to buy a good index cutter for this machine.
I was looking at pictures of that cutter.  I think you could cut the insert seats on your Bridgeport with a dividing head.  Probably do it on a rotary table, just more setup time.
Toolstoday had some smaller (and cheaper) index cutters.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Larry on March 19, 2018, 09:27:22 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on March 18, 2018, 08:20:25 PMI really want to buy a good index cutter for this machine.
I was looking at pictures of that cutter.  I think you could cut the insert seats on your Bridgeport with a dividing head.  Probably do it on a rotary table, just more setup time.
Toolstoday had some smaller (and cheaper) index cutters.
I see they have a nice one for $252.68
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kwill

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 06, 2018, 10:09:21 AM
Putting the acme rods on today.

Hey kev is this 3/4 6 acme rod?  What holds the brass nut when you lower it? Where did you find the brass nuts?
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kwill

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kbeitz

Quote from: Kwill on March 29, 2018, 07:15:10 PM
Ok I need some 3/4
Lots of 3/4" on E-bay. Just make sure you get the same cut nut. Comes in 1-2 or 3 cut.
Slow medium or fast.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kwill

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 30, 2018, 10:14:17 AM
Quote from: Kwill on March 29, 2018, 07:15:10 PM
Ok I need some 3/4
Lots of 3/4" on E-bay. Just make sure you get the same cut nut. Comes in 1-2 or 3 cut.
Slow medium or fast.
I looked on there and couldn't find any brass 3\4 6 acme nuts
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Thank You Sponsors!