iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What sawmill to buy

Started by Dirtymaxx, January 30, 2018, 09:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

The double frame on the Thomas is built like a tank with real steel
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

staker

There is a small mill made in Canada with a few options gas or electric. With the dollar exchange it might be cheaper.  Here's a link.

http://www.smgchampion.com/en/Company.shtml

Downstream

ez boardwalk jr was the way to go for me.  blows away lt10 specs at the entry level price point.  In fact it is much closer to lt15 specs/performance than it's price would suggest.  If I had more budget at the time probably would have gone for woodmizer brand but only had so much money to spend so went with the jr.  It has over performed from day one.  Simple, sturdy, and paid for itself in less than a year.  I can pick the whole unit up with my pallet jack and move around my paved driveway by hand.  Full width of cut(important for us that do live edge work) bigger than most if not all units in this price point.  Also great people do deal with on purchase/pick-up.  I drove over there day after christmas and was trained/loaded/on the road home quickly.  Sawed my first log at home later that day and havent stopped yet.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Dirtymaxx

The Thomas mills looks like a really good solid mill. I emailed them they said they were redesigning the 2411 model and there would be a slight price change  and they would be ready in 2 months looks like I will be waiting to check that mill out I have time any way since I won't be cutting in this -30 below weather brrrr.

Tin Horse

I also had the Woodland mill a few years ago. I added the trailer and made a log turner. Had a few issues at first. No vent on gas cap;clutch burn out fast. Tough on belts. They were great and sent replacement parts. Ok for a basic entry level but I out grew it fast. I by chance came across an older Enercraft 30 HTL. No comparison. Was able to easily sell the Woodland mill. I needed the hydraulics for the amount I now mill. If I had to do it again I would also try and test machines that your interested in.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

cgchuck

I have the Woodmaxx . Very well thought out mill and great value . Sure there are mills with more frills , but at a higher cost . I went right to the home of this company where they make this saw . Very nice people and very nice buildings and organized and neat . By the way , this manufacturer is located right in upstate NY , home of the infamous Adolf Cuomo .

ButchC

Quote from: SawyerTed on January 31, 2018, 09:13:54 AM
Go lay your eyes and hands on the machines you want to compare.  Go to the farm/machinery shows, dealers location or find owners near you and get a demo.  Purchases like a sawmill deserve the time and effort no matter what your budget.

I just went through the purchase process. My fear was that I would buy an economy model and find it lacked capacity, durability or production rate.  Then I would lose interest.  That would be bad.
I couldn't agree more. There are many entry level manual mills doing nothing rusting due to the work Involved with running them. I am 60 years old and not as tough as I once was but was bent upon an entry level band  mill.  But after watching all types work at a logging show  I changed my entire outlook and ended up with a JR Peterson swing mill. It's a LOT less work than a manual band mill (and more money) but lots less money than a hydraulic band mill. Travelling to a show is well worth  the time and effort, you will see  minuses that are never shown on YouTube or factory promo materials.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

staker

Another Canadian mill and with the American dollar worth about $1.30 Canadian , it could be a good buy. Thae have a few different models.

http://www.portablebandsawmills.ca/

firefighter

I have a Peterson WPF  model very good mill.

jaygtree

dirtymaxx, if you are near duluth mn i have a  ez boardwalk jr you can check out. once the snow and cold go i'll wake her up. so it would be in april.   jg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

waynorthmountie

Recently found smg champion from quebec. If you live in thay area may be worth looking into. Have messaged some owners who are extremely pleased with their purchase. Also good value for the money.

Bosco

Quote from: Dirtymaxx on January 31, 2018, 02:40:01 AM
If I was to get a wood mizer it would have to be the lt 15 and that starts out at 7 grand which I don't have that much to spend on a mill. Does anyone here have the frontier os-27?
I got a new LT15 on Black Friday deal, with extra blades ,gloves, canthook for around $5500.

starmac

With a little luck, you will get 5495 back for it in 5 or more years too.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

dboyt

If the idea of an imported mill doesn't appeal to you, Norwood has some small mills made with U.S. & Canadian components.  Yes, some assembly is required, but it isn't too hard, if you follow the instructions.  The MN26 and larger LM29 might be worth looking at, and you'll find a lot of info on those.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

jbjbuild

I'm another very satisfied Woodland Mills HM126 owner. It is extremely well built and easy to use. A great value for the price.
Woodmizer LT35HD, John Deere 790, Logrite Cant Hook

Southside

Quote from: starmac on February 08, 2018, 09:26:27 PM
With a little luck, you will get 5495 back for it in 5 or more years too.

Starmac - why do you think he will take that big of a loss on it?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

moodnacreek

You got 250 acres? Put up a hand set circle mill used. Put it on concrete and have a new mandrel made. get a roof over it and your set for life.

Thank You Sponsors!