iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Method for clamping small pieces and cookies.

Started by firefighter ontheside, September 22, 2019, 12:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Recently I've had a young man bringing me short slabs that he's gotten and some cookies that he wanted cut thinner.  I had to figure out a better way to do it than I've done in the past.  I came up with two 2x6 about 4 feet long.  One of the 2x6 I put up against the stops on the side of the mill.  Then I drive two sixteen penny nails in just the right spot to act as stops for the piece.  I leave about 3/4" of the nail sticking up.  The other side of the piece rests on the other 2x6.  I position the piece so that one clamp lands right in the middle.  Clamp and cut.  Of course it's easy to pull the nails and move to where I need them.  Works great.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Sixacresand

Sometimes we have to get creative to get a piece clamped.  Thanks for the tip.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Pabene

I have fasten the customers blanks to a thick (two Inch) board, long enough to rest on two bunks, by wood screws. I can than clamp the board in the mill and place it so the backstops supports on the back side. From that I can cut it as the customer want it.

barbender

I've made a quick and dirty clamp for making cookies by setting a 4x4 next to my backstops, and then a board (thickness isn't overly important, as long as the 4x4 stands well proud of it) that's not as wide as the logs I'm sawing the cookies out of. Then I stand the logs up, with the clamp equally centered between them. Another 4x4 on the outside, and then clamp. The clamp squeezes the 4x4 into the 2 logs, with the force automatically equally distributed between them. So this way, you get to saw 2 cookies each time👍
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!