iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a timberframed woodworking shop

Started by timberframe, August 20, 2019, 05:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberframe

Hi all, I think this might be one of the more active timberframing forums, so I thought I'd mention that I'm doing a video series on building my shop.  I'm no pro videographer but I'm getting better all the time!

Here's the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc600ItBX0DtmPMsVPDU028-ocLyhbrsb

B

timberframe

timberframe

Once I decided on the basic design of the shop, I could start cutting some logs for the basic framing members. Here are a few pics of trees we chose to cut.

Below is my wife hugging the first tree we cut.

The below was quite a nice tree I got a 24' tie beam out of. Not very big necessarily but nice and straight with only a little backwards lean.

Since the snow would melt before we could get them out, we put small logs underneath the timbers so they would be up off the ground when the snow disappeared. Makes it much easier to get a choker around the log when it comes time to yard it out.

For my timbers (and the boards you inevitably get around the timbers in a log) I have had no blue sap stain at all. I also used the end sealer from Lee Valley on all timbers shortly after felling and the checking is certainly limited.

B

samandothers

Look forward to your journey!  When did you start?  This past winter?

timberframe

Sadly, no, I started this a few years ago. The timbers aged well but are very dry now and less nice to work with hand tools, but that's ok!  At least I only lost one to ants that I know of so far!

Cheers,

Brent

timberframe

There, I hope I've added the pictures properly.  I've never worked with a system like this....

B

timberframe

carhartted

Looking forward to following your progress. Cutting a frame takes a while but once it's up it makes it all with it.
Here's to making sawdust.

Don P

Nice looking tree, that should have made some good timber.
The pictures take a few seconds to load but this is the only place on the net, or on any of my computers where pics I put up 18 years ago are still there, Jeff does a good job of safekeeping them.

Ljohnsaw

Just watched all the videos in your channel on YouTube about this build.  Very informative!  Can't wait for the next installment.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

timberframe

Glad you enjoyed them, thank you for the kind words!  It's a lot of work and I have a lot to learn, but it's getting better.  

Brent

klpauba

I'm anxiously waiting for your reveal of your layout technique.  How long will I have to wait?   :D

timberframe

Ha ha!  Sorry, I hurt my back and was off my feet for months this winter so time is short.  I also haven't gotten much interest in the videos, so I haven't been terribly drawn to divert attention away from my efforts to get caught up.  I do plan on doing all the rest of the videos for the build but they take a lot of time and I've been working full time on the other building we're putting  up this fall instead of my workshop.

I am capturing video of the machine shed build, and I do quickly go over my layout but the whole series is going to be less nerdy talk and more flying sawdust and sped up progress videos.

I will tentatively say December for the next series of installments.

B

Thank You Sponsors!