iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying shed starting to come together

Started by WoodenHead, September 06, 2013, 11:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenHead

After planning it for more than a year, and piecing the steel together for the last few months, the drying shed is finally starting to look like something.  When completed it will be 28' x 64' (not big enough, but I have to draw the line somewhere) and will hopefully cover about 25,000 bdft of air drying  stacks.

My dad and I put up the steel structure together.  Now it's up to me to take it from here.  Since I'm by myself it will still take some time to be completed.  Since the steel was scrap leftovers from previous business activity, I have about $3500 invested (plus my time) which includes the gravel, welding and rafters.  Instead of plywood, I'm going with T&G pine.  I have about 3000 bdft that went moldy so I'm trying to recoup something from it.  The value of the shavings from running it through the planer will pay for my time making T&G.  Eventually I'll shingle the roof to match the rest of my buildings, but that will wait. 

I'm looking forward to complete the shed, so I can move on to my next project - getting the mill setup better.   ;)

hackberry jake

I sure could use something like that. You may look into running your t and g at a 45' angle. It would resist wind force better.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

drobertson

Thought about this all last night, I still need one,  you and your dad have kicked some serious butt on this one!  nice work, and I hear you on the size, but when do you draw the line, the three flooring mills around here still air stack right in mother nature, I know they recoop the waster differential, in their finish product, but you still have a nice one there for sure,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

drobertson

Quote from: drobertson on September 06, 2013, 11:56:13 AM
Thought about this all last night, I still need one,  you and your dad have kicked some serious butt on this one!  nice work, and I hear you on the size, but when do you draw the line, the three flooring mills around here still air stack right in mother nature, I know they recoop the waste differential, in their finish product, but you still have a nice one there for sure,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

red oaks lumber

nice looking building! the thing about air drying is air flow, you might be further ahead by putting less wood in your shed. better air flow will speed up drying, reduce the chance for moldy or blue stain wood.when i pile bundles for air drying i go 2 packs deep, each pack is 42"wide.
air is going to take the path of least resistance, so if your stacks are to deep most of the air will just go around or over. :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WoodenHead

Quote from: hackberry jake on September 06, 2013, 11:50:20 AM
I sure could use something like that. You may look into running your t and g at a 45' angle. It would resist wind force better.

That's a good idea.  Takes more time, but would be stronger.  I will be doing some cross bracing as well as criss-crossing cable (with turn-buckles) to stiffen things up a bit.

Quote from: red oaks lumber on September 06, 2013, 01:07:10 PM
nice looking building! the thing about air drying is air flow, you might be further ahead by putting less wood in your shed. better air flow will speed up drying, reduce the chance for moldy or blue stain wood.when i pile bundles for air drying i go 2 packs deep, each pack is 42"wide.
air is going to take the path of least resistance, so if your stacks are to deep most of the air will just go around or over. :)

Very true.  The prevailing wind here will hit my stacks at an angle.  I was planning on 48" wide stacks with almost 36" in between.  The idea is to stack new material on every other set of bunks to increase the distance between rows.  Ideally as one row becomes dry enough I can fill rows in between.  We'll see how things go.  Other than that, there is always the kiln.  :)

WoodenHead

I finished the shed! (At least for now)  Eventually I will shingle it, but I put plastic on the roof to carry me through the winter.

Here's a pic...

I used T&G pine for the south slope of the roof and plywood on the north.  I ended up selling some of the moldy pine for not too bad of a price (i.e. better than the cost of plywood).

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Philngruvy

LT 15 18G
Bobcat 751

Chuck White

That's a beautiful drying shed!

Really nice!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

flashhole

Very nice, how long are the roof rafters?
Remember - Always have your Democrats spayed or neutered - Anne Coulter

1woodguy

Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

WoodenHead

Thanks everyone for the compliments.  :)

Quote from: flashhole on October 18, 2013, 08:03:00 AM
Very nice, how long are the roof rafters?

The roof rafters are 16' (2" x 10" store bought).  The over hang is a bit smaller than I would have liked, but with all things there are some compromises to be made.

Thank You Sponsors!