iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4 Sided Planer

Started by ddcuning, June 09, 2014, 09:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddcuning

I have the opportunity to pick up a 4 sided Newman planer for $800. Is it worth it? I don't really need it but if it is in working order, it seems like a good deal. I am headed to go look at it on Friday. I saw pictures which looked good but need to lay my eyes on it to be sure.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

tule peak timber

What year , what power ?Newman is very good quality.....Good luck. 8)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

redbeard

If you get serious about it see if you can run some boards through it. See if the feed rollers are in good shape. Slightly Wavy boards are a good test board.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ddcuning

It is a belt driven unit from what I can tell. I was planning to run it off of my Cummins if I get it. Not sure what year or model. I will have to see it on Friday to find out. The guy says it weighs 10,000lb so it must be a large unit. Of course, I have went and looked at 42" oaks that were only 22" when I got there and measured so I will hold judgment until I see the unit. I have left him a message asking for the model number. Unfortunately, it is not connected to anything for me to test. The good news is, it has been under cover all of its life. He currently has it in a storage building.

Dave C

Gadrock

I know someone else that could be interested...unless it is 440/3 ph

Carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

lyle niemi

Alligator

Is it a 510 or 512? I should be worth $800 in scrap iron, if it is what I think it is. Although, I would never think od scraping it. We had a Newman 510. The major difference between the 510 and 512. is the in feed rollers. 510 = 10" and 512 = 12". Ours was in a fire, the building burned down around it. Newman rebuilt it and we used it another 20 years. Do you have any pictures?
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Seaman

DD, do you do anything SMALL ?
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

ddcuning

No pictures yet, he is supposed to get the model number for me today so I can figure out what he has. I will take pictures when I get there on Friday.

Frank, big heavy stuff just seems to find me!

Dave C

scsmith42

Dave, if it's in good shape I would suggest that you grab it.  Newman makes an outstanding production quality unit.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ddcuning

While I was in a meeting, I got a voicemail about the planer. It is a Newman 8D model. I found pictures of one on the internet and looks beefy. Not sure it is 10k lb that he indicated but still pretty heavy.

Dave C

ddcuning

Hmmm..after a search, I could not find anything on a Newman 8D planer, I wonder if he said 8B? Either way, I can't find anything on the web about either of those two model numbers. I am sure he said 8D.

Dave C

beenthere

Hmmm.  Because it is CL, I will PM the link to you.

A few years back, an 8-B was discussed in this FF thread.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=47290.0
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ddcuning

Drove 4.5 hrs yesterday up into VA to look at the planer. It is in fact a Newman No. 8-B, four sided planer. The unfortunate thing was that it was partially disassembled which makes it tough to get back together. Apparently, the gentleman had been working to rebuild it but has health issues and must sell. The good news is it does not look hard to put back together and he had all new sprockets, bearings, drive chain and knives still in the boxes that come with the planer. It also includes attachments for making tongue and groove flooring. The planer has no rust on it and appears to have been under cover it's entire life. I wasn't looking for another project but picked it up for $700 so I could not resist. I was so excited yesterday about getting up there that I forgot my camera and I have and old dumb phone that does not take good pictures so I will have to post pictures of it when I pick it up next Saturday. Did I mention what a very understanding and patient wife I have? She has to be a saint for putting up with me always dragging big heavy stuff home to fix! Oh yea, it appears to weigh about 6000-7000lb. I doubt that it is hitting the 10k mark. It is about 4' tall and 8' long.

Dave C

SPD748

That's awesome Dave! If you figure out a way to tie that beast to your Cummins, I think you'll have more than enough power to run it. Let me know if you need any parts machined.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

ddcuning

Thanks Lee, I will keep you in mind and may take you up on that. I know where I am going to set it, just have to figure out how to get the power from the Cummins to the planer. Also, I don't know what speed to run it. I have looked on the web but cannot find specs for it. I may have to contact Newman and see if the have any info. I think it will be a nice addition to the mill, I just have to figure out what to do with the edger that I just picked up. If anyone wants an edger to rebuild, come get it. I only have $100 in the gas it took to go get it. Send me a PM if interested. I would rather edge the boards on the mill and have the planer.

Dave C

lyle niemi

Quote from: ddcuning on June 14, 2014, 06:41:36 AM
Thanks Lee, I will keep you in mind and may take you up on that. I know where I am going to set it, just have to figure out how to get the power from the Cummins to the planer. Also, I don't know what speed to run it. I have looked on the web but cannot find specs for it. I may have to contact Newman and see if the have any info. I think it will be a nice addition to the mill, I just have to figure out what to do with the edger that I just picked up. If anyone wants an edger to rebuild, come get it. I only have $100 in the gas it took to go get it. Send me a PM if interested. I would rather edge the boards on the mill and have the planer.

Dave C
dont think I would get rid of the edger yet, I thought the same as you, just edge on the mill. The edger saves a lot of time and is safer to run when doing second cuts....

beenthere

Dave C.
Congrats on the new project.
Here is a link to an old, but quite good machining of wood pdf that covers a variety of different variables that can affect the quality of machining hardwoods.. one of them being planer head rpm and feed rates.

Thought it might be helpful to you in figuring out some of your setup questions.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/usda/tb1267.pdf

Appears to be typo errors but believe them to be from using a scanner to digitize the old pub and then not proof-reading the results. Similar errors in the Stan Lunstrum .pdf  of the circular sawmill pub.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Darrel

Back in the 70's and early 80's I operated a couple of Newman planers both were belt driven. One had an 8"x18" capacity and the other was 8"x24".  Both were fantastic machines and could do S4S on redwood at the feed rate of about 120' per minute as long as we kept the size no greater than a 4x8'. For larger timbers we had to slow down a bit.  You won't be disappointed.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

ozarkgem

Quote from: ddcuning on June 14, 2014, 06:41:36 AM

Dave C
PM sent concerning the edger  thanks   jim
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

ddcuning

Below is the planer I ended up buying last Friday. I emailed the folks at Newman and they sent me all of the alignment procedures, the speed required, hp required, parts list, etc. Lots and lots of good info. With all that they sent, I will be able to set up the planer no problem.

Dave C

Finn1903

great score on finding that old Newman!  I need to come down and see it run, I'll bring my own material  ;)
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

Texas Ranger

Great price as well

Craig's list ad deleted by Admin,  please review forum rules regarding such postings.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DanG.....what a find! Can't wait to see pics of it in action.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Darrel

Not quite what I used to operate, but still looks very familiar.  This is a very good find for the price!  Good luck with it!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!