iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rotten Pine

Started by jwilly3879, August 23, 2014, 05:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwilly3879

TJ240 cut probably what should have been 8000bf of nice looking pine today but 1/2 of them had red rot for the first 2 16' logs. Tough to make money when 1/2 the work is for basically nothing.

Breaks my heart to turn them in to pulp. They should have been cut 25 years ago. They look beautiful on the outside.

Sure am glad we didn't buy the stumpage, we are cutting on a percentage.

Pictures tomorrow.

thecfarm

That is too bad. I had to bring a logger in,kinda for that reason. I could not cut it all myself. Mine was still all good,but one never knows.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jwilly3879

Here's the pictures of the last two days of work.

Good example of the red rot.

Pulp pile - about 15 cord (10' high x 24' long)

About 8000bf fairly nice logs

The tree on the right already had 8' off the butt, 70+ ft and 13"

Now to get it all hauled and get ready for next weekend.

jwilly3879

Here's a picture of the second load of logs headed to the mill. Missed getting a photo of the first.

Two loads = 7500 bf with about 1500 left over. There was closer to 9000 feet in the pile, my estimate was 8000, they scaled up well.

chester_tree _farmah

What u going to do with the 1500?
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

jwilly3879

Add 6000 more tomorrow!

jwilly3879

We topped of the pile this weekend.

Pine Logs about 7500 bf - everything on the right of the pine tree is 16's

To the left is 10's and 12's and a few 16's about 2500bf

Added to the pulp pile, trucker had a breakdown so now there is close to 30 cord with a pile on the old header.

And some firewood that was cut to clear a lay for the pines.

Not too bad for 6 hours Saturday, 4 hours and rainout Sunday and 5 hours today. Big jib cylinder started leaking today, could be a spendy repair. 7" bore, 30" stroke and a 3" rod. The rod is so pitted I don't think it can be saved.

Dave Shepard

That sucks. Do you have a shop that can make you a new rod? That place in Castleton can do it, but it might take some time. ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

BargeMonkey

Morradian hydraulic has done 20+ cylinders for me, thats your best bet. Chase down a used cylinder off a salvage machine ?

Dave Shepard

How do you get them to do it quickly? Bring them doughnuts?  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

jwilly3879

I had New Hampshire Hydraulics rebuild one of my swing motors Mooradian has made some hoses for us when TJ240 was working near Albany. They also have a shop in Castleton on Hudson I believe.

jwilly3879

Just got the scale slip for the two loads that went out on Tuesday. 1st load 36 logs = 4045bf and the 2nd was 33 logs = 4585 bf.

it's nice when the add up like that and as a bonus there is about 2500 bf for a head start on tomorrow.

Wish I had some pictures but I was off doing my Building Inspector job that day.

tj240

i have used moordian before they are good gonna call tomorrow
if they can fix it it cant be fixed but the price??????
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

bill m

I have most all of my hydraulic repairs done at Mooradian. They treat me very well. Most repairs they do for me while I wait. You may not need a new rod. They can tig and polish it so you can hardly see where it was gouged.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

tj240

the rod is in bad shape ALOT of pits i think it needs a new rod my last post i spelled cant as can if mooridian CANT fix it it cant be fixed is what i meant to say, good day oday not to much rot
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

jwilly3879

Here's an attempt at a video. Hitch with two nice pine, (4) 16's in each one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GScScGQgKNU&feature=youtu.be

Every time I take a picture the pile looks the same.

BargeMonkey

Your landing looks nice, all sorted out. Are you peddling the firewood or just pulping it ?

jwilly3879

All the hardwood goes for firewood. Our trucker sells most of it but I have an old fellow (80) who has  firewood business and he comes with his pickup and dump trailer and hauls a cord a trip. He bought about 15 cord the year so far. He will take all the shorts along with 8'. keeps things cleaned up.

BargeMonkey

I have to basically beg for people to come get the block wood, last time home I gave my mechanic 8 small dump truck loads off the last job. We have been doing 12-15 cord a week keeping up with the orders, but soon it will start in. Got a jump on it this year and I dont think thats even going to cut it this year. All depends how generous the state is for heap this year.

luvmexfood

Quote from: jwilly3879 on September 07, 2014, 08:57:44 PM
All the hardwood goes for firewood. Our trucker sells most of it but I have an old fellow (80) who has  firewood business and he comes with his pickup and dump trailer and hauls a cord a trip. He bought about 15 cord the year so far. He will take all the shorts along with 8'. keeps things cleaned up.

At 80 years old and still working firewood my hats off too him.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

jwilly3879

He has a neat setup, no processor bit he use a bobcat to put the 8' on a table where he cuts it with a chainsaw and the table is the same height as his splitter. He slides the blocks down a trough where they roll onto the splitter table then up a short conveyor into a bin. He transfers the bin to his greenhouse style kiln. When it is time to deliver he dumps the bins into his dump trailer and off he and his wife go.

He also has a thriving roadside operation and that wood is sorted by species. The summer lake residents buy a bunch for campfires and fireplaces. He is coming this week to pick up year old pine pulp for his roadside racks.

He had a successful logging business for many years and as his wife says there is wood in his blood. He also filled in at a local concentration yard running loader sorting logs until the shut it down.

beenthere

I worked most of today trying to keep up with an 82 yr old cutting firewood. He makes and sells 20-22 full cord each year with a Farmi winch and with a hyd. splitter. Says he should raise his price higher than $150 a cord.  ;)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lopet

Hats off  smiley_clapping
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

jwilly3879

Well we pulled the big leaky cylinder off on 10/5 and dropped at the shop in Glens Falls on Monday 10/6, they called on Weds 10/8 with an estimate and ordered the parts on Thursday. I called on Weds 10/15 to see how the repairs were going and the rod stock was in the lathe being machined. It was ready Friday afternoon but I had a soccer game to go to and I picked it up yesterday morning. Bill was $300 under the estimate so we basically have a new cylinder for $900. That included honing the cylinder, fabricating a new rod, welding the eye on and a seal kit. New cylinder from Barko was $3200, new rod only $2500. I'm pretty happy with the results from this shop. We installed it this afternoon in about an hour, everything went well but boy is it heavy. Motive Power and Paint in Glens Falls, NY did the repairs.

BargeMonkey

Thats not bad money figuring what a new one cost.  :o   You guys staying busy up there ?

Thank You Sponsors!