iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 4.5 powertec guestion

Started by timberlinetree, October 20, 2014, 05:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

The Franklin 132 forwarder we just made the last payment to the owner  8). It has the 4.5 liter engine in it. Was wondering what oil to use and do I just run it or is it like a Detroit and should run at full speed and advoid long idle? One thing is for shure she's not to loud. It does have a turbo.What should I be keeping an eye on?

Thanks so much and work safe!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

BargeMonkey

You scored big time. Im a fan of a 4bt-6bt but I will take a 4045-6068 every day of the week. Unfortunately the ones run in the woods dont make it as long as the marine engines, but ive seen 40k hrs on a 6068. The 2 gens in my boat are 4045 with 7k and 10k hrs and they are just getting broke in.
I have engine manuals if you want copys, hell I think if you sent me a picture of the filters we could do something with those too.  ;)  there is about 6 diff mounts. But let me know.
They arent a detroit, you can run them on the peg but unless you need it I wouldnt. Biggest thing with them is clean fuel, and check the valves every 1500-2000 hours. Parts are fairly cheap, I did 4 injectors on friday and I think they where 70-80 each. If you ever see the oil level grow, stop. They are known for an injector weeping by or the tip falling off. Check the coolant, the liners are known to pit and leak if the PH gets way off or the coolant goes bad. Simple easy engine to work on. Good 15/40 oil, 250 hr oil changes, she will run a long time.

timberlinetree

Thanks for the reply! This is the first JD motor we've owned. Is the filter systems OK on these motors? It does seem to have a small oil filter. I will take a pic of the filters next time. What about the turbo, should I try to drive without the turbo kicking in until it needs it or just drive this thing? Thanks

snowstorm

Quote from: timberlinetree on October 22, 2014, 05:26:36 AM
Thanks for the reply! This is the first JD motor we've owned. Is the filter systems OK on these motors? It does seem to have a small oil filter. I will take a pic of the filters next time. What about the turbo, should I try to drive without the turbo kicking in until it needs it or just drive this thing? Thanks
that oil filter will be fine. dont lug it below 1500rpm just like any other motor. the turbine in the turbo is spinning anytime the motor is running. they dont kick in but they do start to make more boast at certain rpm's depending on the engine

timberlinetree

Thanks for the replies! Sorry so many questions but was wondering about oil psi. Has 60@ idle and jumps to 80 reved up almost tacking out the gauge. Is that normal? This is the filter.

Is there a way to ck the pH in the antifreeze? I remember my brother checking the volts in antifreeze but can't remember how. Is this the same type of thing? Thanks

BargeMonkey

Thats good oil pressure, shes's fine. Napa might sell the test sticks, little swabs you dip in the coolant to check. It takes a long time with bad coolant, I would just run it a while and when you do a service do everything.

lopet

Looks like a solid machine and somebody did a nice job extending the bunks. Good rubber .  8)
Good luck with it and let us know how you like that roof mount loader.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

timberlinetree

Lined up to be shipped to job on Fri. 8) This thing will be a big help!

thecfarm

Good luck with it. Can you post some pictures with wood on it?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

timberlinetree

deastman

Deere engines are great, I used to have a bunch of Deere equipment and never had anything major with any of them. I ran synthetic oil in them in the winter up here and never had a problem starting them in the cold.
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

Thank You Sponsors!