iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Having problems with snatch block

Started by iowaowb, October 21, 2014, 10:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iowaowb

Bought a three point skidding winch and I really like it, I am still learning a lot. I have pulled most of the easier stuff and am now getting to the harder pulls around other trees and etc. Did get a snatch block for it and I am not sure what I need to do different but it keeps self releasing before the cable is tight.

I have it setting pulley side up the lever is closed on the cable and pulley and as soon has I start pulling a lot of times it just releases as soon as the cable pulls tight. If it doesn't release right away it works fine. It is a wallenstein winch and snatch block.

Not sure what I am doing wrong. Seems to have a better chance to stay on if the cable is tight, It seems like the release lever is pretty easy to move not sure if that is right or not.

Stephen Alford

Hey there, welcome to the  " FF ". This is the side of my snatch block that faces the ground .  :)
logon

g_man

Sounds like Stephen is right - you are running it up-side-down so the release arm is resting on the cable as it tightens. The large diameter side of the pulley should rest on the cable to support the weight.

Stephen, I like that harness you have. Is that something you made? It looks like it is quick and easy to rig up. What is the strap made of ?
Thanks.

iowaowb

Thank you for your response, I am going to try that sometime this weekend.

Stephen Alford

Hey there g-man, it is just nylon strap  as in a ratchet strap.  Picked it up on the side of the road, since I took that pic it has returned to whence it came.   If your up this way keep an eye peeled.   :D   Been using a chain with a grab , gets a little hairy around sub divisions sometimes.  Pick a good stump in the middle of the lot, natch it , then attach the snatch block. Here is a pic of a maple in full flight.... past the point of no return.   :)

logon

Thank You Sponsors!