iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What type of finish for outside?

Started by rbhunter, May 07, 2009, 10:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbhunter

I am in the process of making a porch swing out of cedar for my wife for Mother's Day. I was wondering what I should put on it to protect it.

I thought about boiled lineseed oil but was afraid it might stain clothes. I have also heard of mixing lineseed oil 50/50 with turpinetine I believe.

What would you people suggest using?

Randy
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

beenthere

Don't think I would put anything on it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logwalker

Cetol SRD. I swear by it. At least 2 coats. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Lud

A good article is in the newest Fine Woodworking.  Best stuff real expensive but fights the UV the best.

Cetol SRD, Joe?   Oil or Poly?   Where do you find it?
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

rbhunter

By googling the name I came up with the company website. It looks like it is found in the smaller lumber yards, paint stores, and hardware stores. I did not find any of the chain store names listed. The nearest place from me is about 35 miles. I may have to make a trip to get it. I will watch and see if anything else is recommended.

I picked up a copy of Fine Woodworking a couple of months ago. As a beginner I really enjoyed the articles. It was actually one for beginners. I built a nice oak desk with the help of a friend who does cabinets on the side. I worked in his shop with his tools. It kind of spoiled me working with my tools. The magazine showed how to do things without all of the fancy stuff.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

logwalker

Small to large lumber yards and paint stores are carrying it. It used to be a lot harder to find but not so bad now. Cetol is a division of Azko Nobel, a European company that has been making paint and finishes for over 300 years. A/N paints most of the fine automobiles in Europe. I have used it on my boat for nearly 15 years and it is the Good Stuff.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Thank You Sponsors!