iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor tire chains

Started by mr T, October 25, 2010, 10:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr T

I just bought a kioti tractor Ds4110 Looking for ideas on ice type chains Any body use Aqualine ? Dont have a lot of clearance between tire and fender about 2inches All ideas appreciated

Chuck White

In this area, most people use the double-ring tire chains.

However, your fender-to-tire clearance might be an issue with that.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dsgsr

Can you dish your tires out to make more room? If so you will be able
too run Ice or Canadian chains, of course then you have to decide which one to run ::)

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

g_man

I use Norse chains which are exactly the same as Aqualine ( probably the same manufacturer) on my Kabota. They are great chains. For in the woods dont use the quick links use the links with drive pins. You will lose the quick links. They come with both types.

Ironwood

You may be able to have a set of special cables made, try   tirechains.com seems they have a ton of options, are very helpful and can make about anything you could come up w/. I have even bought "pieces parts" to get older chains in order. 

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

beenthere

I had very little clearance, so I built my own from parts. Lengthened the side chains to ride further out on the tire, and shortened the cross chains. They are ladder chains, but work fine on ice. Also work quite well in snow (along with front wheel chains).

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Are you really operating on hard ice, or is it more of a "general winter conditions" chain you are looking for?

Double ring chains are popular for operations in snow and mud. They tend to be self-cleaning, which is a nice feature. They are not as effective on hard ice, however. If they are double ring chains in the ladder style, the also don't have a good lateral (side-to-side) traction as some other options. This can be an issue if you are operating on side hills.

If you are running on ice and have the clearance for them, it's hard to beat the Norse, or Aqualine style chains. They're more of a web pattern than a ladder style, and the studs really get a grip.

Going to the non-studded "Duo-grip" style (a web pattern similar to the Norse chains) still gives good performance in snow and some ice, and improves on the lateral traction over ladder style chains.

Any of these web pattern chains generally work better on Ag style and Industrial (R4) tires than the ladder-style chains... the rungs of the ladder tend to drop down into the treads on the Ag and R4 tires.

If clearance is really limited, my New Holland / Kubota dealership sells some special low-profile chains. The links are much smaller, but made out of square cross-section wire, so it has some "edge" to give it more traction. These are also made by Aqualine (I believe sold by Wallingford at least in my part of the USA). My dealer refers to them as "low profile tractor tire chains". THey aren't cheap. They're made from a special (boron?) alloy.

Having said all that, I use v-bar (studded) ladder chains on my New Holland TC 33D with R4 tires. They don't make duo-grip or Norse style chains to fit my rear tire size. It's made a lot of difference getting up and down the icy hill in my driveway.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

bill m

These are the chains I run on my NH and I don't have a lot of clearance either. I got them from Labonville 6 years ago and they show very little wear.

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

g_man

Bill's chains look like Norse or Aqualine to me from what I can see in the picture

John Mc

Bill's chains are what I was trying to describe with the "web pattern" phrase (not the greatest description, I guess)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

mr T

Thanx for info   I would of liked to go with Talons or Norse but dont have enough clearance between tire and fender Dealer says 3inch  Have ordered a set of Aquiline mpc from Hammond tractor Same design as talon but low pro and less money There having a sale  I really need chains,, hills and freezing rain ,I may try a set of Talons on front  Anybody run these on front?  I have R4  tires

John Mc

I don't know about your tractor, but some tractors recommend not putting chains on both front and rear tires.

I believe this is because the front tires are usually geared a couple percent faster than the rears. Too much traction can put a strain on the drive train. It can cause more wear on the drive train. Probably not a huge issue if you are on ice or deep snow, but depending on the tractor, it might be a problem if you are driving on frozen ground with v-bar or studded chains.

John Mc

Thank You Sponsors!