iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this weed or plant?

Started by g_man, August 03, 2010, 04:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

I found this weed. The only other one I have ever noticed was growing in the same place last year which I pulled up. It was about 4 feet tall before I cut it up. Growing in some wood chips. The root was like a skinny brown carrot. In the picture the top is on the left and the stem cross section is in the center. It is hollow and white inside.
Since everybody in VT seems to be paranoid about invasives I thought it would be good to find out what this is. The closest I could come so far was some kind of wild parsnip.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

gg

[attachment deleted by admin]

g_man

I attached a file above called weed.doc which is a picture because I could not figure out how to do a JPG file. Sorry for the cumbersome method.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

If you can't figure out how to post the jpg, send it to me to jeff at forestryforum.com and I'll put it here for you.  I can't allow the pictures posted via the document uploader as the file size would displace at lease 20 future photos.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bro. Noble

Sounds like it could possibly be water hemlock.  If it is the root is extremely poison.  Better do a search on water hemlock and in the meanwhile,  be real cautious.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jeff

Good job on getting it into your gallery, I just posted the following code that appears under your photo in the gallery to have the picture appear here.

[IMG] https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/21065/2935/weed.JPG [/IMG]

WDH

Looks like it is in the Composite (Sunflower) family.  Do the flowering heads produce thistle like fruit that float in the air like little parachutes?

I am almost certain that it is a domestic plant, not an invasive.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bro. Noble

Well, It's not water hemlock.  Looks like a weed that was asked about recently by Doug in Utah if I remember right.  Wasn't it idintified as sowthistle?
milking and logging and sawing and milking

g_man

Thanks for the help with photo Jeff.
I dont know what the flower looks like. I must have missed them while I was away for a week.

Jeff

WDH

It is similar to sow thistle with the deeply cut leaves, but it is not sow thistle.  However, I bet that it has the same parachute-like-dandelion-like-float-in-the-wind type fruit as sow thistle and dandelion.  This is a hall mark of the Composite family of plants. 

The thistles have very sticky (in will stick in you) leaves that you would not want to crush in your hand unless you like to get stuck by sharp things, but the subject plant does not look similarly sticky. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Danny I agree withe the fruiting, and will add another genus to the mix. It looks a lot like Prenanthes of the wild lettuce family. The leaves of the genus are quite variable. They grow in wet places or dryer sites as well, but usually pretty fertile soil. We found some white lettuce up at Jeff's place in the UP. We also call one specimen here 3-leaf rattlesnake root (3 leaf forms on one plant), which is P. trifoliolata. White lettuce is P. alba
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!