iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hourly Rate - Small Skidder

Started by Kodiakmac, January 11, 2016, 08:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmac

My thinking exactly. If I am helping a friend, I may do it for free, or at cost. If I use a piece of equipment I figure to make money, and not just for the day, for the life of the equipment.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

HiTech

The way I look at it is....if small skidders aren't worth much an hour then everyone should own one and do all the maintenance on them and buy the fuel, transport them and so on. Tried to rent a small dozer once...D3 Cat was what they had. Daily rate, plus transport, plus proof of million dollar liability ins., plus pay for any broken parts on machine. It got expensive real quick. I am not sure I would even do it. After you get there it may turn into a nightmare real quick.

Kodiakmac

Thanks for all the input and suggestions, lads.  I'm going to tell him $85 CDN.  He may choke on that, but that's okay.  I've got other things to do with my machine anyways.
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

jocco

Better to be high bid and lose job than low bid and lose posterior!!! ;D

Quote from: Kodiakmac on January 12, 2016, 07:17:36 AM
Thanks for all the input and suggestions, lads.  I'm going to tell him $85 CDN.  He may choke on that, but that's okay.  I've got other things to do with my machine anyways.
You may check out but you will never leave

jocco

Coxy one thing I see rates vary a lot depending on location for any machine or service. Also stuff like this guy with very little work, old old skidder, no insurance, not reinvesting in it and so on. Equals one of these doing $3000 job for $1000 take care.

Quote from: coxy on January 11, 2016, 06:40:28 PM
Quote from: Jamie_C on January 11, 2016, 05:21:29 PM
Cable skidders with less than 100hp are rated at between $50 and $55/hr by most mills here in Nova Scotia.
again not trying to be a wise guy   but how do you guys pay bills at 55 an hour that's 440 a day 2200 a week if your paying fuel, repairs ,insurance  maybe truck or skidder payment    house or rent payment food clothing saws and parts oil and if you have to pay a helper  maybe im missing something   maybe im doing something wrong  please help me out
You may check out but you will never leave

lopet

I am looking at it as a landowner too, because  at the end it has to make sense for him also.
Wood is only worth so much.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

mad murdock

I would much rather work on a per cord or per mbf basis rather than a strict hourly rate.  There is a better potential to make more money by getting the job done in less time that way. I have always made out better getting paid by the piece vs by the hour. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

WV Sawmiller

Kodiac,

I'm not a logger. While it may be interesting to compare what others charge for similar jobs the bottom line is what would it cost you to do the job and how much do you require for your labor/time/effort? That is what you need to quote and if you get the job, great. If not, no loss as I suspect you are in business for a profit, not as a community service.

I run a mobile sawmill service and everyone I know of around me charges more than me but I keep getting more and more work. They know what they are worth and I know what I am worth. I did my biggest job back in November/December and when I did my site visit and quoted on the job the guy said he had others quoting about 2/3 to 3/4 what I did. I told him no hard feelings if he used them then he told me go ahead and do the work. Not sure if he was BS'ing me or just happier with my work.

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

Quote from: mad murdock on January 12, 2016, 06:27:23 PM
I would much rather work on a per cord or per mbf basis rather than a strict hourly rate.  There is a better potential to make more money by getting the job done in less time that way. I have always made out better getting paid by the piece vs by the hour.

But according to the OP
QuoteHe wants an hourly rate for me and my machine.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dgdrls

Kodiac,

Build the profit in first, not at the end. 
Someone smarter than I uttered those words well before this post.

best luck,

if you get the project take some photos
since we here on the FF know... if there are no photo's it didn't happen!!

Dan

starmac

Haveing older paid for equipment means different things to different folks I guess.
To me it means it isn't hurting anything sitting right where it is at, nor is it wearing out or breaking down.  If it isn't profitable, as in better than wages, then it doesn't move. I do not buy equipment to make wages period, why would anyone buy a job, when folks everywhere will pay you to have one??

BargeMonkey

My 75 an hr rate was a "down the road / friend rate", which was kind of what I thought the idea was. Bidding a job out to Joe blow, 125up. You guys would tar and feather me if I told you just how deep I stuck it in on these last couple clearings jobs I've done, but you've got to make money sometimes.
Around here I don't think I could make any money if I was skidding for volume for the average landowner, 99% of them have no concept of cordage, footage, or what stuff is really worth. I know wagner is paying 210 per MBFT right now to cut and skid, you keep the fw, if you had big payments to make your going to hustle to stay alive if fuel went back up.

timberlinetree

I would say the $125 dollar would be good, but working by the hour if things aren't going good you can drop it down a gear and still get paid.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

mog5858

well there ant much if any logging around hear but i would don't think i would run any of my iron for less then 100 per h. i got a 201 tj and fixing up a red ram j5.  don't sell you self short.  just ask him what he work for a hour.  i AL welding on the side at home in my shop and that's 100 cash per hour had not had any complainants. but logging is just a weekend think for me really just a reason to have more iron lol

rfm7fxfox

100-125 an hour. Depending on the job. I get no less than 75 an hour and that's just me and a saw. If it is me and the machine, no saw work I usually get a minimum of 125 an hour up to 200 an hour with no complaints. But mind you the 200 an hour is for complex work. (75% of the time I work per thousand board feet but almost every job the mill will also pay by the hour on top of by the bdft  for certain things. IE: road construction, water bars or site cleanups a previous "logger" left a mess) My time is extremely valuable so yours should be too, so I think you should get paid well for it.
Dolmar 7900, Ported Dolmar 7910, Ported Johnsered 2172, J-Red 2186, Ported Husky 385, Ported J-Red 2258,Tree Farmer C5D,Timberjack 460 D.A. Grapple, 2015 KMC 2500 Grapple Track Skidder and 2005 Peterbilt 379 Logtruck

timberlinetree

Sometimes when things go wrong I make $0 an hour!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Frickman

When I was working up to 2 years ago I started at $60/hour and went up from there. Of course it depended on the situation, are they a friend? Do I have a machine close by? Etc. I didn't care if it was just me, me and the skidder, saw, forwarder, whatever. I got paid the same whether I was marching or fighting.

Now in my neighborhood there is a logger on every corner which keeps our prices down. There is always some guy with junk equipment and no knowledge of his costs or what a profit margin is wanting to undercut you, but that's ok. The landowner usually gets what he pays for.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

redprospector

Quote from: timberlinetree on January 17, 2016, 07:14:33 AM
Sometimes when things go wrong I make $0 an hour!

Hahaha! Sometimes when things go wrong...I have to pay to work.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

starmac

If you run your own equipment there will be weeks, even months that you get the luxory of paying to work. lol

coxy

Quote from: starmac on January 17, 2016, 11:44:26 PM
If you run your own equipment there will be weeks, even months that you get the luxory of paying to work. lol
how true those words are  :D :) ;D 8) 8)

Kodiakmac

quote author=dgdrls link=topic=87938.msg1348923#msg1348923 date=1452646970]
Kodiac,
...if you get the project take some photos

Dan
[/quote]

Started on Friday.  Got 2 days in.  Mostly white ash, elm, Manitoba maple and silver maple from 10 to 18 inch diameter.   Couple of good big bruisers too. 

Working out well...I'm not doing much of the choking. :)

Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Ed_K

Looks like you have some good hard ground to work on too  8) .
Ed K

Kodiakmac

Quote from: Ed_K on February 03, 2016, 02:37:29 PM
Looks like you have some good hard ground to work on too  8) .

Yup.  It was okay up to last night...but it's 33 - 34F and raining right now, so things will have to get colder and stay there for a while or the trucker won't be able to get in.  Supposed to get colder tomorrow night and stay seasonal for a while...hope they're right.

coxy

glad everything worked out for you :)   stay safe

dgdrls

Quote from: Kodiakmac on February 03, 2016, 01:37:45 PM

quote author=dgdrls link=topic=87938.msg1348923#msg1348923 date=1452646970]
Kodiac,
...if you get the project take some photos

Dan

Started on Friday.  Got 2 days in.  Mostly white ash, elm, Manitoba maple and silver maple from 10 to 18 inch diameter.   Couple of good big bruisers too. 

Working out well...I'm not doing much of the choking. :)
[/quote]

Well done K'mac!!  looks like a nice level and solid landing.

Dan

Thank You Sponsors!