iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: The weather 2019

Started by SwampDonkey, January 01, 2019, 04:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, we have that. It's mostly stone with a tiny bit of dirt dispersed in it. None the less, I have been waiting to see it again for weeks. Yesterday it was all snow with ice underneath. The transformation was dramatic today. 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

lxskllr

52° and windy. Had to pick my laundry up a bunch of times when it blew off the line. Got my bench cut into the oak, That didn't go the way I thought it would *at all*. I imagined about 4 cuts, with perhaps a bit of futzing with it to get it right. The square I made which would have worked perfectly on a cylinder, was useless on the reality of a tree. I ended up eyeballing it, and my top-bottom cuts were much longer than my 25" bar, so I had to remove the sections in chunks using my 362cm and cs400. It was real slog ripping through the black oak, especially with the cs400, and when I resharpened the 362, I decided to take the rakers down a hair. Big mistake. That made it more chattery, and it jerked me around more than I'd have liked.

Got it in, but I don't think I'm finished. I'm thinking of laying the backrest back, and maybe adding armrests. Not sure yet. I've got to consider whether the risk of ruining everything is worth it. I also have some deep cuts that were left in the finished product. I'd like to take care of those too. It would have been nice having my 20" bar for the Stihl, but that's at work on my other 362.

All in all, it's been a good day. Got to play with my saws on a cool and pretty day. Can't ask for much more than that  :^)

thecfarm

Another cold windy day here. Yes,40°,with the wind chill 10°. :D  Well it feels like 10°. >:(  But the wind will help dry things up too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Weird spring day. Temp only low 40's, 20 degrees lower than yesterday. Had some wind gusts over 15 mph today here and there. Snow flurries through the day, still a nice working day, some sunshine here and there. Just wish this *Dang cold would let go of my head.
 Temp is 32° F, dew point is 21, wind is 5 mph, gusting to 15 out of the WNW, Pressure is 29.65 and rising. Temp won't be going over 40 until Wednesday, but spring is coming. I have given up on my fear of a blizzard before the end of the month, but it is still winter.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

sandhills

Floods, floods, and more floods :-\.  Only time I've seen Weather Nation mention Nebraska much but they had videos of the town 10 miles south of us early yesterday morning, I decided I don't care much to make the news.

thecfarm

I am out in the woods and the snow is deep. I made some trails before we got all the snow. I was just wondering if I would make. I do have a big red oak that fell over that I could get and use for firewood. It must be 3 feet across. Not a straight log in. ;D  There is a clump of 3,the 3 foot one and 2 smaller ones.All that went well. Than I tried to make some new ones. That did not go well. I started to drag and that was it. So there is at least 18 inches of snow and I know there was still snow under my tires,maybe 2 feet?? But all that will start to melt and settle down. No big rush to see it melt. Don't need a flood like '87.
Sun out today with a slight breeze. Mid 30's now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

12° this morning and only got to 34°. Tried to get into the woods but still 3.5+ feet of snow with the consistancy of wet cement by afternoon. Proceded to get the tractor stuck finially after a few hours got it free only to tear a valve stem off feeding cows. One of them days it didn't pay to get out of bed.

thecfarm

The temps that chevy have have been the same here for the last 3 days. I have 10° now.  No idea if that is normal. I can remember doing sap a few years ago and I had a garden hose out to wet the leaves so I would not catch the woods on fire. I was not draining the hose at night either.

Al_Smith

Typical March in Ohio .Cold,warm ,dry ,rain ,wind .The roots failed on some of the dead ash and the wind laid them down better than I could have done with a chainsaw .Some have good logs ,some are just firewood .I'm still in hibernation mode ,I'll get them cut up some time .My enthusiasm for cold weather waned years ago .

Old Greenhorn

We have hit 'my happy place" in the weather cycle. The daytime temps are averaging in the forties, that days are getting longer, the sun is getting noticeably higher in the sky each day, and most important to me, I stayed out working until after dark without thinking about it. I needed the work lights on the Mule to see what I was doing and find my chains and tools in the duff. Unless it's raining, that will pretty much be my routine from here on out. I came in soaked in sweat.  Muscles are starting to ache again from months of light use and recovering from a back injury. We have some snow, then rain forecast for tomorrow and through the night, but i don't care. Spring is here, hang in guys, if you haven't seen it yet, it IS coming.

thecfarm

Yes,it is coming,has never let me down yet. Seem like the cold started early,yes was warm for a day,but not warm for 3-4 days in a row. My driveway was ice and snow all winter. I think only 2 times,I saw some dirt,and that was only a few feet. Lived here through 18 winters and never seen it like this. Saw most snow storm turn to rain. Very odd in my area.

lxskllr

Temps here have moderated on a yearly basis. Winters start later. and are warmer, but they linger longer than they used to, with coolish temps. Summers aren't ZOMG HOT!!! either. Not any more than typical humid mid Atlantic anyway. They may be slightly warmer, with a couple more days of maximum heat, but not noticeably different.

Today was 52°, and mostly sunny. It got cloudy, and is supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow. Got some more cherry split and brought home. Only a couple more loads before my front porch is reasonably full(~1 cord). Not sure what I'll do after that. Quit I guess. I don't need the wood, but I hate seeing good wood go to waste. Maybe I'll start splitting/stacking it on site, and I can get it next year. Still haven't taken down the ash I want to drop. My spaz of a boss won't make the time to give me a hand. I want someone there to block the drive while I fall it, and call someone if I drop it on my head or something  :^D

chevytaHOE5674

Weather has been up and down. Some days it hits 40, others 30. Some nights its teens other nights its low 30s. Had a few inches of wet slush yesterday and maybe some more snow over the weekend.

Still a lot of snow on the ground tho slowly but surely its melting.

lxskllr

Hadn't had much rain in awhile, and I thought the bad juju was broken. It was just getting saved for today. 1.3", and still coming down. Yard's got the standing water back, and my side yard which had firmed up to simply soft by last weekend, I'm sure is back to pumping water. Hoping for a drought this summer. That'll be a nice change of pace.

goose63

We have a slow melt off here and that should help the guys up in Canada  8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

thecfarm

36° this morning. Much better than the low teens we had a few days ago. This was an easy night on the wood pile. Had some snow,an inch, than turn to rain yesterday. Lucky it was not a few days ago,or it would of been all snow. ;)  We can stll get snow.May is close,it won't last.

chevytaHOE5674

31° yesterday and 15° last night. Supposed to warm to the 40s today but back cold for Sunday. It's kind a roller coaster and hard to get used to anything, but the cold days and nights slow down the melting of the warm days. So far now real flooding or anything. 

doc henderson

a little rain overnight but up to mid 60s today, partly cloudy and windy this week so take a while to dry things out but up to 78 middle of the week
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

lxskllr

It was a pretty nice day; sunny and 52°. Got a bunch of sticks cleaned up in the yard, but still have a bunch more to do. Also need to figure out which small trees I'm gonna remove. I want to do it before it gets hot. Currently debating on a fire. It's 54° in the house, but supposed to go down to 28° tonight, and 58° tomorrow. I'm not cold, but it's only gonna get colder, and I'll be busy tomorrow morning, so a morning fire won't make sense before it warms up.

Chuck White

Cleaned up the mess from our last snowfall yesterday, we got 9 inches.

The ground is still very wet and soft so had to be very careful plowing!

The biggest snowfall we've gotten this season!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Old Greenhorn

We had a pretty nice weekend after some rain and snow on Friday. Friday night right into Saturday afternoon we had some wicked winds with gusts over 30. I saw a lot of new firewood on the ground as I drove around Saturday morning.Yesterday it was in the 40's and today in the 50's with less wind, but I never got into the woods. Other necessary chores and tasks took up my time. Hoping to get a couple of evening in this week at least. Not much is on the horizon in the next week and that is good, maybe the ground will start hardening up.

thecfarm

Close to 50°. A nice sunny day. Pussy willows are out. Looks like about 3 days of sun!!!! That will seem odd.

lxskllr

Cloudy all day, and rain now. It also cooled down a little. Not much, but the dampness made it feel colder I think. It was 54° in the house, and I almost didn't make a fire. If it were older years, I wouldn't have. For one, I probably wouldn't have had wood. Secondly, if I did have wood, I'd save it for a surprise cold snap, or the next year as a bonus. I still have ~4 cord of "domestic" wood, and I've imported another cord of cherry already, and will probably get more.

In other news, my last spruce is looking terrible. It already looked terrible, but I think it's really done. Very little green at the top. I kind of wish I knew what happened to them. Curiosity more than anything. Plus side, is it'll give me another climbing gig next fall. Twice as high as last time, and the threat of dropping the top on the neighbor's shed. That'll be fun. Just need to figure out what I'll replace it with. I may go for a clump of persimmon or something like that. I planted a couple pawpaw last fall. They looked like dead sticks when I put them in the ground. I'm hoping they green up this spring. It would be cool having two native fruits on the property, and my squirrel minions should help spread them around  :^)

chevytaHOE5674

10° this morning and the high temp was 33°. Where the sun hit thawed out a little but in the shade it stayed froze all day. Not too much melting going on UP here.

Ljohnsaw

Been getting lots of rain and showers the last week and will all this week.  Up on my cabin project, more snow.  Weather report for up there said "light snow - 6" - 12" overnight with the heavy stuff Wednesday..."
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!