iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Project

Started by williamgriffin, June 28, 2017, 08:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williamgriffin

I'm currently an intern at a vertically integrated REIT in Alabama. For the next 5 weeks I'll be working out of the procurement office, and I have to complete some type of project before the end of my time.

Inititally I was just going to cruise a tract and report my results, but I felt that with all of the parts of the company I have access to (sawmill, company land, etc.) that I could do a bit better than that.

I know it is probably hard to come up with something without knowing the exact situation, but any general thoughts on a project that'd be useful?

Thanks!

TKehl

Looking for a place to lower costs or increase revenue is a great way to move from intern to employee. 

Increase efficiency in ____.  Identify a market for waste or a way to profitably add value to existing products. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

ChugiakTinkerer

Can't go wrong with TKehl's advice.  (Happy birthday by the way, have a cookie!)

Another thing might be to identify opportunities that are waiting on some change in market/technology/whatever to become profitable.  If, for example, the POTUS is able to reduce the regulatory burden on mills, how might that free up the mill to expand into new processes or markets?  Or the softwoods issue with Canada, etc.

I'm not suggesting you get too abstract.  Just postulate an "If A then B" sort of scenario, and determine if it would be profitable to be the first one to be harvesting or selling B.
Woodland Mills HM130

sandyo

How are you coming along with your project ?

Thank You Sponsors!