iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

About got gutted!

Started by CCC4, December 09, 2015, 07:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

Everyone should know the dangers of logging, take those dangers and complicate them with pushed over/hung up timber and you really need to be aware. I have been on a long grind lately and being pushed to my limits. Today, towards the end of the day after being in a strip pushed over with the Hydro Ax, I got tired and careless and almost caught a big one! Two lengthy pine were pushed over together, I cut both off at the stump, cut one top out then on the next one...well I was fuzzy and didn't watch my pressure. Upon releasing the 2nd top at WOT, the tree swatted me compressing my 661 chassis into my stomach and throwing me 6 ft through the air backwards!! Think about that for a sec...the bottom of the saw hit me in the stomach with the chain speed wide open! Man that was close!

Just remember to always be aware of your surroundings, I was exhausted and it almost cost me a major major injury! Be safe out there!

Jeff

Glad you are here to tell us about it. NOW DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ken

Very glad to hear this did not turn out bad.  All of us who have worked in a
production logging environment have had close calls or have been injured.  Might be time to take a break and refocus.
Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

CCC4

I need to take a break, I plan on taking my Son fishing this weekend and resting for a couple days.

Jeff, I will certainly try to not let that happen again!  :)

North River Energy

^
Given the circumstances, you might consider taking him fishing tomorrow.
Glad you're more or less Ok.

Ed_K

End of day is what gets you. I limbed out a b/oak this afternoon and released a hemlock branch onto my nose, wow cuts on your nose sure do bleed. Hit so hard it knocked off my helmet and dropped me to the ground. Not sure how I got the saw away from me.
Glad we're both ok, but don't do it anymore I cant take wacks like that.
Ed K

thecfarm

I betcha when you wake up in the morning you will be looking for that truck that hit ya.  :(    Not trying to be funny,glad you are OK.
We bought back 11 acres of The Farm. It had grown up to white maple,2-3 to a clump. I was cutting them clumps all day long and they was hanging together until they hit the ground. I was cutting a 2 clump right next to a shed that was built on the land. This time they did not stay together. One split off and hit the roof and skidded back and set the saw flying and set me just about as far too!! Saw was fine,but man,my arm was some skinned up. I hurt for a few weeks after that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BargeMonkey

Wow and ouch.   :o I read your posts and you cut ALOT more wood by hand than most of us do, shows that it can happen to anyone of us. Hope you feel better.

isawlogs

Glad to hear you came out of that ok and are taking a day off.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

treeslayer2003

bro, we were just talking about this........take off a few days.....please. they will live if you don't show up to the woods a couple three days.

beenthere

Thanks for posting.
In either case, did the chain brake activate and stop the chain?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

customdave

Man that was a close call, or wake-up call, either one glad your ok. Play safe out there....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

timberlinetree

Yikes! Glad you, and Edk are all right. Work safe out there!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Peter Drouin

Over the years, I have learned to stop cutting when I get that tired.
Good that you're ok.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

In my case,I can't remember. BUT I do remember checking for body parts and making sure all parts was moving and not seeing any red coming out of them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CCC4

beenthere, the chain break did not activate. Not really sure why, the saw is in good shape and fully functioning. The only thing I can think is the angle, I mean it happened lightening fast and I cant figure out why the break didn't pop off.

2 more days and I'm taking 2 off. Have a great day everyone, stay safe!

samandothers

CCC4
As beenthere stated thank you for sharing the near miss.  These things help keep in the forefront the dangers we need to be on guard for.

grassfed

Glad you are ok.

More and more I am trying to teach myself to quit for the day or at least stop and take a break when I notice myself getting tired and careless. When I think that I will just cut one more tree or skid one more hitch I try to pause and tell myself that it is time to quit now and that the tree will wait until tomorrow.
Mike

Corley5

Everyone BE CAREFUL out there.  Glad you're alright CCC4.  I don't like hand cutting at all anymore.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ST Ranch

CCC4 -Glad to hear you are OK - IMO close calls are usually a good time to rethink our work plan.
As Peter and others have said above, it is hard to quit when we feel ourselves getting tired, especiaaly when we have production goals to meet.
As I get older, I too find it hard after about 6 hours to keep going and find I start to loose my sense of balance and mental focus. 
If I have to keep working [working with a crew], I usually slow down, think things through and do everything by the book [use my wedges, clr the escape route, good footing, etc] and try to avoid the high risk work till next day.
Sounds like some R&R with family is timely and please "stay safe".
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

SineWave

Whoa. Sounds like you could have been cut in half in the blink of an eye.  Glad to hear you're OK.

Be careful out there!

bushmechanic

Glad to hear it was a near miss. When I worked with a paticular logging company in 1999 I witnessed such an injury. A 60 + manual faller had the same type of injury only he split his stomach open. The forman had to hold it all in until he got to the medics. It sure could have been worse for you!

Autocar

Anymore I try to work till 2:00 then I am pretty well beat. I cut till noon today then skidded everything I had on the ground. I wanted to cut five more but two trees later I knew enough to throw the towel in. Tomarrows another day, work safe everyone.
Bill

mills

Nothing beats falling trees... unless it's cold beer, barbeque, or messing with the missus.

But too much of any good thing can get you in trouble. :D

Man, watch out for yourself. I really enjoy reading post from friends, and through the years I've made several friends on this site.

Ed_K

Beenthere, my chain brake activated and staled out. Good thing cause when I went back today and looked over the area, the saw was only 3' from where I knelt down to catch my senses.
CCC4 it's good there wern't any trees behind you.I've seen trees swing like that and mow other trees over.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!