iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Please help identify

Started by ET, August 21, 2014, 09:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET

I was out showing the woods today with a friend that has not been back in the woods for years. While on one of the further most trails we came across this most beautiful yellow wildflower. It was 4 to 5' tall with slender elongated leaves. Only one we saw over our 70 acre trip. Any suggestions?

Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

WmFritz

I've wondered too what their called Ernie.  ???

In fact, I came across so many scattered about, that I took pictures to post last summer and then never did ask.

I'll bet its an easy one for @OneWithWood   ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

giant splinter

roll with it

LeeB

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on August 21, 2014, 11:55:12 PM
DYC ;D

We call it DYF, but I think it says about the same thing.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Looks like the genus Coreopsis from the Composite (sunflower) family.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OneWithWood

Could be some type of Rudabeckia from the sunflower family, according to Linnea.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

doctorb

Had to look up DYC.  Botanists with a sense of humor.  Who knew?  :D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

curdog

Does look like something in the sunflower family. Try Jerusalem artichoke. I always have trouble getting all the yellow sunflower type flowers to species.

WmFritz

Quote from: doctorb on August 22, 2014, 01:39:12 PM
Had to look up DYC.  Botanists with a sense of humor.  Who knew?  :D

I got no help with Google, Doc.

My DYC search came up with Detroit Yacht Club!  smiley_headscratch
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

mesquite buckeye

Dumb Yellow Comp. :snowball:

Keying out Comps has a high PITA factor. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

WDH

I have keyed out a whack of them Dang composites.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

None of them make very good lumber. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

SwampDonkey

Probably woodland sunflower Helianthus divaricatus. Adubon's book has a poor picture of it.

This might help.

http://plantsamazeme.blogspot.ca/2013/08/allegan-forest-allegan-county-michigan.html

5th photo down.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on August 22, 2014, 11:31:14 PM
None of them make very good lumber. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

There is only one arborescent composite  :)

mesquite buckeye

So, like, edumacate us.... ;D

Enquiring minds want to know. 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

WDH

Baccharis halimifolia

Commom name is sea myrtle. 

mesquite buckeye

Now that you mention it, we have desert broom,  Baccharis sarothroides out here. If you found a really old one, you might be able to get a 3X3 maybe a foot or foot and a half long. ;D

They make me sneeze. >:(

ET

SwampDonkey, thats it for sure. Thanks and now I know another flower to show to people when I take them out back into the scary woods.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

mesquite buckeye

Don't forget to take along bread crumbs so that you can find your way back home. ;D :snowball:

Thank You Sponsors!