iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to the forum

Started by Flyingpig, December 05, 2017, 05:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyingpig

My first post here. A buddy and I bought a Belsaw M14 with a 2L Datsun on it recently and are in the works of getting going for the first time. I'm sure I'll have a hundred questions for you guys here as neither of us has any sawmill experience, he is a ticketed millwright and heavy duty and I'm a ticketed heavy duty with ten years equipment operating experience so we have a good background and aren't totally guessing at everything. Ha ha. I think he'll be chiming in shortly as well...

My first question is: does anyone know a saw doc in northern Alberta or BC? We are in Northwestern Alberta. Thanks a ton!

Once I figure out how to post pictures I'll throw some of our iron up.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Flyingpig.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tule peak timber

Welcome aboard. This site is a great place for knowledgeable friendly people. Cheers  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Flyingpig!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

reride82

Lyle Niemi would be a good resource since I think he's up in your neck of the woods and has fairly extensive knowledge of circle mills. @LyleNiemi

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

wesdor

Welcome Flyingpig.  I think you will find this place to be a wealth of information from a lot of friendly people.  In my opinion, one of the best places on the internet.

Grizzly

Welcome! How far north and west? Grande Prairie area? Or High Level?
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

lyle niemi

Im in Valleyview if you know where that is

Flyingpig

Wow, this site is a lot busier than I thought it would be (which is a really good thing!).

Yes I'm west of Grande Prairie, in Beaverlodge.

Lyle, I was just in Valleyview on Monday.

Looking forward to being active here for a long time.

petefrom bearswamp

Welcome to the forum mr. pig
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

samandothers

Welcome! A lot of knowledgeable folk here.

dustyhat

Welcome as well,  you say busy on here , your just here on a slow day, wait to the nuts get on here and give you the yopper treatment. it gets busyer.

Grizzly

Beaverlodge?? Whose your saw shop man? I logged out of Hythe for a few winters.

SmartAlec

I'm the other dummy working on this set up.
We used to have a saw shop in Grande Prairie (Prinston Carbide) but they are no longer, so we're looking for a new one. My dad used to take blades in to them for repair.
Seems like a lot of knowledge on here. Thanks

BigZ La

Welcome to you both. Good knowledge here to learn from.

I missed out on a mill the other day so I'm back to acquiring what I need to build one.

Flyingpig

BigZ, that's where we started too. Now we've got a pile of garbage AND a complete mill. Ha ha.

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, FlyingPig.  We look forward to your post and photos.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Flyingpig

Grizzly, you may have worked with my dad or one of my uncles, or even my wife's dad.

Grizzly

I don't think Hermit Hauling exists anymore though. I did most of a year with them hauling from north of Hythe into Weyerhauser and then a winter with Minhas hauling into Weyerhauser, Canfor, and the OSB mill (can't remember name). The next 2 winters were hauling private wood into BC. Those were good times.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, SmartAlec!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Flyingpig

Well, we got the mill up and running on the weekend. Ran out first few sticks through it. It cuts dead straight, it's a little underpowered to give it full feed speed but that's ok.

Now the real work is going to begin. We need to build an infeed, set up a roller system on the green end, set up the coffee shack/storage building and start looking for wood/logging/getting after it. Also need to get our tractor/loader running and bring it home.

dustyhat

Most defiantly do the coffee shack first, then fix the tractor and then log :D

lyle niemi

Quote from: Flyingpig on December 14, 2017, 12:54:57 PM
Well, we got the mill up and running on the weekend. Ran out first few sticks through it. It cuts dead straight, it's a little underpowered to give it full feed speed but that's ok.

Now the real work is going to begin. We need to build an infeed, set up a roller system on the green end, set up the coffee shack/storage building and start looking for wood/logging/getting after it. Also need to get our tractor/loader running and bring it home.
Im gonna try to come and see your operation one of these days

Thank You Sponsors!