iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydro Ax shear question about mulching attachment

Started by H.Watts, August 08, 2014, 08:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H.Watts

I have come across a early 80's 311 Hydro Ax with a shear head.  I haven't seen it yet and am wondering if someone can tell me if a mulcher(brush hog) deck attachment can be used on this machine in place of the shear?  I don't have any experience with these machines but assumed the shear or saw head or mulcher units were all attachments.
Any info would be helpful.  Early 80's, maybe 1982.

redprospector

Hydro Ax used 2 shears on these machines. One was a "high speed" 16" shear, if you have that one then theoretically it should run a mower just fine. I ordered a set of books for my 311C and they had the specs. When I get near them I'll look up the flow and pressure again.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

MesquiteSawyer

I don't know that particular series, but have seen a bunch of old Hydro Axes that all ran mulchers.  A good friend used to buy old wore out fellers and swap out the felling head with a mulcher, sometimes needing to swap pumps as well.  He always said it was no big deal, and I don't think he ever spent more than $20k on a tractor.  He would run them for a year or two and usually sell them for double that amount.  I would say it is certainly possible if you are handy with that sort of thing.  Also depends on what you intend to mulch.  If you are just cutting brush, you should do fine.  If you are wanting 6" and larger stuff, I would start thinking drum style mulcher instead of rotary. 

Thank You Sponsors!