iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ideal backstop height

Started by Rougespear, December 15, 2015, 01:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rougespear

Hi all, I'm deciding how high to make my backstops above the saw bunks.  Looks to me that WM's and Cook's are no more than 12-14" high... is this high enough to secure the larger 32+" logs, as well as turn them without climbing the backstops?  I ask, because my inclination would say make the backstops to be above the centerline of the largest log, so approximately 16" for a 32" log.  Any thoughts on design here?
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

sawguy21

Below the blade. ;D Sorry, couldn't resist that.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

york

Hi,

16 inch is too high-my old TH mill was about 16 in. and i cut them down to 12 in.
You need to angle the tops to about 30 deg. so log will not climb..
Albert

Chuck White

My blade will clear when set at 11¼" when the logstops are all the way up!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ga Mtn Man

Generally taller is better...if you can make them stout enough to handle the extra torque at the base and you have somewhere to put the extra length when lowered.  The backstops on the LT-40 are 11" which isn't tall enough for really large logs. 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Dave Shepard

I don't often have any issues with the standard WM height, but I do have the rollers on top. If they are not tall enough, you can keep a couple pieces of pipe just large enough to slip over the backstops when you find an ornery one.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

12" standard wmz back stops have managed fine for me on capacity size logs for the mill.   I guess there are many options a fellow can pursue,  I know the rollers on the tops helps in my opinion.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandsawmill14

on our timberking b20 they are about 16-17" i will try to remember to measure them tomorrow  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

kelLOGg

I have sleeves to slip over 2 of my backstops for large logs but I use them only is the log is irregular and is prone to catch on the top of the backstops. I don't have rollers on mine but I think that would help a lot.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

ladylake

It sure cant hurt to have high one so long as they're  sturdy enough and you have clearance.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

fishfighter

On my manual mill, I have two sets. The short ones are about 6" and the long ones are about 16". Some times logs will climb the long ones. Longer = better.

Ljohnsaw

For my mill, I made two sets - one set is about 18" and another around 30" - but about 4" is used below the bunks to mount/lock in place.  They are manual and sometimes raising them to roll a log or cant is annoying, so I'm thinking a slip-on set of roller is my next upgrade.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Brucer

Quote from: Chuck White on December 15, 2015, 02:26:11 PM
My blade will clear when set at 11¼" when the logstops are all the way up!

On my manual LT40 I could clear them at a height of 11-1/8". On my hydraulic LT40 I can comfortably clear them a 11". The message is, check the clearance on your own mill (with the blade not turning).

I've had 36" logs on my mill with 11" high stops -- no problem. I've had 44" logs that were split in two with a chainsaw -- no problem when standing on edge.

Sometimes lower stops are an advantage when you have a really big log on the mill. You can have the log overhanging the stops and gain a little clearance on the idle side blade guide. That lets you drop the blade down 1/2" to 1" lower.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Rougespear

Thanks all for the overwhelming responses... typical class act on the FF!  I think I'll make em 12" high as that seems to be the standard (there must be a reason WM does it so no need to reinvent the wheel.  I also like those folks' idea of slipping a pipe over the top to make them longer.  I am using 2x2 material for the squaring arms, and a piece of receiver hitch tube could nicely slide over!

Thanks and merry christmas all.

pineywoods

Just be sure to make them adjustable. They WILL get bent out of square with the bunks. I see them bent on woodmizers all the time, and they are 1X2 solid steel.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Rougespear

They are adjustable to be square with the bunks (modeled after Cooks' design).  Good point though piney... I was considering backing up the 2x2 backstop with some 1/4" x 2" flat bar on edge to help with the abuse, is that advisable?

Percy

Quote from: Rougespear on December 15, 2015, 01:00:06 PM
Hi all, I'm deciding how high to make my backstops above the saw bunks.  Looks to me that WM's and Cook's are no more than 12-14" high... is this high enough to secure the larger 32+" logs, as well as turn them without climbing the backstops?  I ask, because my inclination would say make the backstops to be above the centerline of the largest log, so approximately 16" for a 32" log.  Any thoughts on design here?
If you have a choice in your design, IMO Id make them go up and down vertically as opposed to the "lay down" style of the LT30-40. Having previously owned an LT40 and now an LT70, its been my experience that the vertical backstoips make life easer.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

beenthere

Quote from: Rougespear on December 17, 2015, 10:56:58 AM
They are adjustable to be square with the bunks (modeled after Cooks' design).  Good point though piney... I was considering backing up the 2x2 backstop with some 1/4" x 2" flat bar on edge to help with the abuse, is that advisable?

Sometimes, something has to bend or give.  So consider what your extra flat bar is fastened to, and give thought to it bending instead of the backstop. Always need a weak spot that is easy to fix.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

I would concider having them lower then 12", I like being able to cut down to 12's "with the mill with out having to worry about cutting the backstops... Just saying what I like  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Brucer

That was my thought, too, Marcel. It's nice to have a nice, round number that you know is safe to cut at, no matter where the stops are.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

sandsawmill14

look for a video on the timberking b20 and watch how the back stops work as percy said up straight up and down is MUCH better than the pivot i have 3 mills 1 lays down from from end to end(parallel)  to the mill (homemade), 1 from side to side perpendicular to the mill (s&w 125) and the tk b20 is straight up and down and is by far the best design they can be any height from 0" up to 16-17" and anywhere in between. this would probably be the most expensive to build but after running all 3 designs it is by far the best :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

xlogger

Why would you want low back stops? Unless you have the type that fold down and it makes it hard to do. On my TK they go straight up and down so its no problem lowering them to the height you need.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

John S

We all call them backstops but WM refers to them as "side supports", (just the retired teacher in me).
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

isawlogs

For one, I have had my mill since 93' and have had to use extentions on it , maybe three times, and only because the log was iregular in shape and it kept riding up the backstops. That being said, I do use my clamp and claw turner to turn bigger logs, I turn the log till it gets lifting some, bring the clamp under it and as I bring the turner down, back out the clamp. The log rolls some and then with the turner, I am usually good to bring it where needed.
  I like having the backstops under 12" to be able to take that cut and not worry about cutting them. Not having higher backstops to work with I don't see what I am missing. Also putting on extention pipes when needed, for little use of them that I do need, is an option that is available and works well too.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

Quote from: John S on December 18, 2015, 09:08:07 AMWe all call them backstops but WM refers to them as "side supports"
No, not everyone.  My sawmill has four sides; a front where the tongue/controls are, a back where the taillight is, and two sides. One is the loader side, and the other is the log support side which has the "side supports".

Marty Parsons and I had a PM discussion about this subject a couple of weeks ago and he promised and I quote,
QuoteSide supports. Side Supports. Side Supports.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!