iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any advice on WM LT 28 vs. WM LT 40?????

Started by bikedude73, September 16, 2009, 04:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikedude73

I am new to this and looking to buy a mill and do some cutting for others two make a few hundred dollars a week.  Any input would be great........ 
Buy the way this site is awesome and Thank you so much for all the help!!!!!!!

LeeB

Bigger is better and all the hydraulics you can afford.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

bikedude73

Lee B thanks for the advice but I just was wondering on bigger is better vs. the amount of capital I have to put out.  I am very fit and only 36 so I thought I could always trade up if business goes good any thoughts?????

LeeB

I started out with a smaller manual mill myself, a Timberkind 1200, and used it for 6 years. Did quite well with it and made enough to pay for it and then some as well as my own use. Still have it, although I don't use it any more. When I moved to Arkansas from central Texas I decided I needed a bigger mill if I was gonna compete with all the mills in the area. One on every corner. Big increase in production and the old bod sure does apreciate it. Nothing at all wrong with the LT28. I'm just saying to go for as much as you can afford if you are gonna try to make money witrh it. You might also consider a used mill to be able to get bigger for the same money or maybe even less.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

bikedude73

Lee B thanks so much for the advice!!!!!!!  This site is so great thanks to all!!!!

Bibbyman

I wouldn't think there wouldn't be too much advantage of an LT40 manual vs. and LT28. 

The LT28 has the newer head design – much like a mix of the LT70 single post and LT15 head. 

The LT40 manual would have power up/down and back and forth standard where I think it's an option on the LT28.

How if you're comparing the LT28 to an LT40 HD (hydraulic) mill,  then there is a lot of difference in performance and price.   If you don't have support equipment like a loader of some kind,  and you want to custom mobile saw,  then the LT40 HD gets you a pretty efficient contained package that would be a lot more productive than the LT28 or LT40 manual.

Then there are the LT40 Super mill that gets you faster hydraulics and more power and speed.  Then..  the LT70 and then the LT300..

We stared out with the LT40 manual mill in 1994.  We sawed with it for seven years.   Then we went to the LT40 Super HD, and then yet a faster, newer LT40 Super with 3ph electric motor.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jasperfield

I saw a 19hp air-cooled diesel LT-28 in GA this past Saturday. That is a really neat mill.

ladylake

Don't forget to check out other brands, you'll get more hydraulics for less money. Or a good used one.  Loader, toe boards, power feed and head lift, chain turner, power clamp, hydraulic log stops are all nice features along with a computer setworks.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

Also, there are used mills on SawmillExchange.com.  My experience is that if you buy a used mill, the factories will still treat you like family.  They want all of their mills running.....even old ones.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!