iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

" Da grape bandit "

Started by Stephen Alford, November 20, 2011, 03:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Alford

One of the nice things of the fall is to pick fresh grapes off the deck for juice in the morning. However the grapes were disappearing faster than normal. I had words with the regular miscreants ie. crows, starlings etc. but still they keep disappearing. Set up a sting operation and meet the  "Da grape bandit" I was surprised to see his gang was foxie.  ;D

logon

shelbycharger400

SwampDonkey

Hey, that looks like tippy.  Was wonder'n where he was off to. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Nice pictures  !!

Did you plant the grapes or are they wild ? Concord grapes ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Stephen Alford

Hey shelby, I am afraid the hunt/trap option is off the table.  I have a daughter that would take issue with that and I would sooner tackle a bear in a briar patch than see the look on her face .  :D
   Well SD  there have been a few critters and one Forester  that  I know of cross the strait.  Odd how they would end up in the same place.  ;D
    Yes sprucebunny they are a concord grape and planted as well. Would like to try some seedless next.  Got lucky the bird bath ended up at the base of the plants and that has made all the difference.    ::)
logon

beenthere

Best ask the critters what they like best, before planting the wrong variety.

I had a grand daughter that picked up "issues" like that in school, so I invited her out when gutting a deer. Stood back in some disbelief, but then asked if she could take the heart to school for her science teacher.  She found out where the venison came from too. Now the other kids in schoo may get some badly needed education.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Stephen Alford

It's a tad different here Beenthere, I guess because the deer were hunted till they are all gone. Same for bears ,moose and others.  Have seen a bit of od beaver sign and a couple of Yotes in the past couple of years.  For me its very erie to be in woods all day so void of wildlife compared to where I grew up. She just has a heart as big as the whole outdoors to boot.   :)
logon

SwampDonkey

There never were deer on PEI and I doubt moose. Moose in Nfld were imported from NB. And deer in New Brunswick are only recent migration in the last 110 years. Deer on Anticosti Is. are imports. Bears could have been there I suppose since they got on the Charlottes Islands in BC, but their deer and elk were brought from the mainland out there to.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

I would like to learn more about Grape growing up there.
Seems the weather would be your biggest challenge eh?

SwampDonkey

I bet them grapes are froze solid this morning at 12 degrees. ;D

They grow grapes here where I live in backyard vineyards. The biggest thing is lots of sun and keep the vines off the ground.

Mooseherder

How do you protect the vines thru the brutal winter?

SwampDonkey

Just lay as they are.  ;D There are even native wild ones that grow in the river valley.

Stephen Alford

Hey folks, the deer were mostly imported,and there is discussion whether or not some came on there own.  Last know deer here in the 1800's. Lots of bears last one shot in the 1930's.  The biggest population was caribou. The migration path was from Caribou Nova Scotia to Woodislands PEI, up to the north shore and crossed to New Brunswick near Borden PEI. Lynx and Bobcat were common but not now.  No moose but I have spent time in the swamps in Enmore  and finding anything there is difficult.
   Hey mooseherder, there are two wineries that I know of.  The Matos Winery who won a silver at the Canadian Wine Awards for their Gamay-Noir.  They are on a hill in St Catherins with plants running north-south and that allows the frost to run off. The second is the Rossignol Estate Winery on the coast near Whitesands. They grow a Marechol Froch and chardonnay. The plants run to the shore and they find the steady breeze from the striat avoids fungal infection and thus pesticide use. My understanding is they also make wines from local fruit like blueberries and strawberries. IF you have a chance give them a try would like to hear your opinion. If you don't like to drink alone look me up.   ;D
logon

Mooseherder

Sure will let you know if we are in your area.  I have been making some wine as a hobby from canned fruits, Juices and also frozen fruit.  Strawberry and Blueberry have been everyones favorite.  Would like to have some vines on our property.  It probably is a tad colder there as it is further inland from the ocean climate.  Did you buy your plants from the winery and are they a lot of work? 

Stephen Alford

Hey Mooseherder, I have never tried to make any wine, just juice. The few plants I have came from the Cornhill nursery outside Moncton NB. Originally we just wanted something that would grow around the deck and offer a bit of privacy.  Spare time seems to elude us so when we have a chance its nice to set on the deck.  As SD mentioned ours are sheltered and face south. The height is achieved by the deck.   After the grapes are done the new growth is trimmed back leaving a few new buds for the next season.  Its a trial and error process depending on tne variables.  We had put the bird bath at the base of the plants just because of location. The daily dumping and changing of the water really made a difference in growth.  The other thing we did was to place black matt to control weeds and put large pieces of shale on top to hold it in place.  I am guessing this heated the soil a bit as an added bonus.  It may be benifical for you to have your soil tested as well before you make your final decisions.  Good luck with your project.  :)
logon

Thank You Sponsors!