iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many members plan to visit the great white north

Started by pep, January 25, 2014, 07:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pep

Now that our dollar is trading at around .90 compared to the American dollar, how many members are planning a trip to Canada.  If any member plans to travel to northern ontario, specifically north of North Bay on Highway 11, I do hope y'all would stop for a visit.  I'm located right on the Trans Canada and would welcome any members for a visit.  Just don't come now, don't think u would enjoy the cold and the snow.  This winter has been the worst one in the last 30 years.

Cheers
Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

Magicman

We are planning a fairly long trip this Summer but as yet we do not know when or where to.  Just going somewhere.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pep

Magic, I'd be more than happy to show you around, plus it would be an honour to meet you in person and talk about wood and milling.  There's lots to see in this part of the north, plus it's a beautiful area in the summer.  Google Cobalt,On. And Temiskaming Shores.

Cheers
Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B

gspren

Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

pep

gspren, the fishing is pretty good.  Lady Evelyn Lake is a world class walleye lake, Lake Temagami is a very good Lake Trout lake along with walleye, northerns and bass.  There's no shortage of lakes with speckled trout, spake, northerns, walleye,and bass.  I know a few lakes with huge northerns that no one fishes.  Most people fish walleye, lake Temiskaming which is half in Ontario and half in Quebec is a very large lake which starts in New Liskeard and runs about 75 miles south and then narrows into the Ottawa river systems.  It is shallow at the north end but as you travel south it deepens.  Around Devils Rock it's around 700 ft.  A lot of ice shacks on Temiskaming but as you go south to the narrows you will find open water.  Probably now over 3 ft. Of ice, too cold now to fish unless you have a shack.
No shortage of lakes and rivers.

Cheers
Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B

hardtailjohn

We're somewhat planning on attending the World Clydesdale Show in London, ON  in 2015... most likely we'll be showing again.
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

ET

Pep, Ive been going north to fish annually since the late 60's. We normally take 75 north through the sioux st marie and get on hoghway 17 north throgh Wawa. We fish around white river. There are hundred lakes to pick from. Only been north as far as Marathon, as i have some friends that live there. I normally take my truck camper (Lance) and pull my 14' boat behind. Gas cost has kept me home in recent years.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

pep

Hey Ernie
HBD.  I've fished the Wawa-Hawk Jct area over the years, great speckle and lake trout fishing.
Wawa has a great ice fishing derby the first weekend in March with 100,000 in prizes.  We usually fish on Manitouic, but I haven't been there for a few years.
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B

ET

Pep, thanks for the birthday (HBD) never saw it put that way. Ya, just love that area; the magpie river dam complex area is an awsome fishery too near wawa. I just noticed you also have a lucas, you been swinging long?  I used to ice fish alot back in the early 80's when we had consistent cold winters but for the last 25 years its been too warm, not counting this one. Heard a rumor that lake erie may freeze completely over this year. First time in maybe 25 years
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Magicman

Quote from: pep on January 25, 2014, 12:29:48 PMMagic, I'd be more than happy to show you around
Thanks pep, but our trip will probably be much further North and much further West.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

m wood

Hey there pep, I got to Sparrow Lake a few years back.  Thats some great cottage country up there.  If I plan another trip that way I'll be sure to look you up.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

pep

Hey Mark, where is Sparrow Lake? Ya be sure to look me up.  If your driving north on Hwy 11 you can't miss me.  I'm 25 miles north of Temagami.

Cheers
Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B

gspren

I have fished in Lake Kipawa in Quebec a few times, would your fishing be similar?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

m wood

Sparrow Lake.  We were 15 minutes away from kilworthy where we re-supplied.  Orillia was the last big town we went through coming from Ontario.  We stayed at a resort there for a Family vacation and I didn't do any fishing that trip :'(.  I think you're at least a couple hours further up.
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

pep

Mark, I'm about 4 hrs north of Orillia, depending on how fast you drive.  3 hours north of Huntsville.

Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B

SwampDonkey

Pep, do they have route 11 patched up yet through to Renfrew? I have been out that way many times Pep. Last time I went down around to Huntsville and up to North Bay after going through the Algonquin park.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pep

Swamp, Renfrew to North Bay (hwy 17) isn't too bad, there is always some construction going on, passing lanes and repaving.  Now Hwy 11 north from North Bay is another story.  Our governing politicians seem to think that the province of Ontario ends at North Bay. Going north from the bay on Hwy 11(The Trans Canada) is like a 2 lane goat trail.  I don't think they know it takes 2 days to get out of Ontario going the northern route.  A lot of truck traffic on a 2 lane highway, a death almost week, and terrible road maintenance.  30 years ago there was no issue with winter maintenance.  Now it's private contractors doing the salt,plowing, and sanding, but they are still told when to do it by the MTO(ministry of transportation Ontario.  This stretch of highway has been closed at least 6 times this winter due to the weather and accidents.  They call it the highway of death.

Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B

SwampDonkey

I've never minded that goat trail through to the Sault because it's just as narrow and winding as here on any New Brunswick road. Here the 4-lane is privately maintained and salt is all they use. That is useless when it's 20 below. Better than a rock in a  windshield I guess. Then I just stay home for a couple days after a winter storm anyway.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

moosehunter

pep,
The Mrs. and I love going to Ont. mostly to go snowmobiling but about any excuse will do! We are going to ride in the Algonquin Highlands / Haliburton area this year. Rode out of New Liskeard one year and another town very near there that escapes me right now the next year. Went through Temaggami, Cocrane, that town Shania is from (I am having trouble with names tonight for some reason!!) and a lot of other places. Tata-Cika-Pika was a place we stayed that we would like to visit in the summer, they said the fishing was awesome. One year we did the RAP tour around Algonquin park.
Always good people, good beer, and good food. Who could ask for more?
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

pep

Moosehunter

Shania is from Timmins.  Good sledding conditions this year.  Lots of snow.  Too much for me. Put over 50 hrs on the backhoe so far just keeping the yard at the shop open.  The snow banks will still be there in June.  If your ever up this way let me know, you drive right by my shop.  We camp in Algonquin every summer, but not this summer.

Cheers
Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B

Magicman

I noticed that Shania will be entertaining for most of the Calgary Stampede this year.

As of now, our plans are to be there a week or so later.   :)

pep

Thought I would bring this back to the top. Since I last posted our dollar has dropped .10 compared to the U.S. dollar. Good value in Canada for all you Americans. If your planning a trip up my way let me know, we'll be sure to give you the .25 cent tour. 

Cheers
Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B

pabst79

I never make it that far east, but we will be heading up 599 to Lake St Joe area (just south of Pickle Lake) in June. My Dad has went every year since 1972, myself since 1986 and this year we will be bringing my 6 month old daughter  :), should be interesting.
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

pep

Pabst79. Sounds like your heading up to fish walleye. Am I right.  Worked up in pickle lake for a month back in the 80's. Not much there other than outpost camps( fly-in fishing)

Cheers
Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B

pabst79

Yep, Walleye for sure! Its a great area up there, about a 13 hour drive north for me. The roads have gotten much better since the 80's that's for sure!  fishin-smiley
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Thank You Sponsors!