iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is another brand pump to replace Taco 009 F5

Started by Superclyde007, September 21, 2018, 06:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superclyde007

I am adding a new circuit to my CB 6048. My existing circuit uses a Taco 009 F5.  Is there an equivalent but cheaper brand pump anybody have experience with?

E Yoder

Wilo has a similar one, 32 I think.
Dodds Bros in Missouri good prices on taco and various brands. Google the name and they should come up.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

Corley5

This is where I've sourced my pumps.  Much cheaper than getting them locally and free shipping if purchase is over $99.00.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Pumps-Flanges-288000
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

maple flats

The TACO 009-F5 is a low flow high head pump. Determine if that is what you really need.
Sometimes, if you are using an OWB that is non pressurized and you are pushing the water up more than a few feet, you will need the high head pump.
Once you figure out what you need, you may well be able to use a different pump. Check the specs, not just the price. If you determine that a lesser pump will do the job, maybe even a Taco 007 will be enough at about 1/3 the price, it moves more water but will not push it as high.
If your system is pressurized the head does not matter because the load is balanced. Most often in a pressurized system the pump will be in the return line, in non pressurized it should be in the supply line. In a pressurized system, someplace there will be a tie in with a water line and a pressure reducing valve, most often for 15 PSI. There will also someplace in the system a pressure gauge.
Determine what you really need then buy accordingly.
Years ago I was in the heating business and most of the pumps we used were Taco, but very few needed the 009.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Superclyde007

The first circuit has a total one way run of 125' then right back to the boiler cor a total run of 250'.  Boiler is actually slightly higher elevation than heat exchanger on this run. 
The new circuit will be approx 190' one way to heat exchanger then about 70' to 2nd exchanger then 260' back to boiler.  
The boiler sits about 5' taller than the heat exchangers on the second circuit.  Coming out of the first heat exchanger pex will go up about 7' to rafters and then to second exchanger, then up about 7' to rafters and then back to boiler

E Yoder

The CB is an open system so you definitely want to push the water, not pull. Pushing water lessens your chance of cavitation on any system, pressure or no, but it's especially critical on an open system.
If you have 1" lines or larger the 009 is probably not needed on the short run. It's a high head, low flow circulator (as was mentioned), a medium head one like a B&G NRF-25 would probably work fine. Typically where I've seen the 009 is on 3/4" piping because of the restricted flow.
The long run with two coils could benefit from a larger pump like a Grundfos 26-99, it's 3 speed so you can adjust to what heats good but saves electricity. Dodds has very good pricing.
My thoughts anyway. 👍
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

Thank You Sponsors!