iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When to call a game warden

Started by sprucebunny, September 18, 2014, 06:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

No offense taken at all. I guess it's part of getting older, we tend to think of things that happened and always wonder why and how the issue could have been resolved. As when a young CA ran down in our field, through the mud, nearly a half-mile to accuse me of squirrel hunting a day early. [late May] And he accused me of having a gun, I had no gun only my yellow Lab that always came with me on dozens and dozens of walking around my crop fields.

Well, he searched in the crop for my 'gun' and became frustrated and stomped off, in all actuality this should be a funny story, but my honesty had been challenged. To the officers credit, he moved away to another county..coincidentally, a county our tree farm is located and became a very good CA.

red oaks lumber

i use to report things, provide tips,  genarally be a good citizen, until one day the 2 wardens paid me a visit at the shop"want to ask you a few questions" the one said. because i had provided accurate info. they figured i must be linked to alot of illeagl activites in the area.
after a couple of hours they left still not believing me. over the next several years i would see them 'keeping an eye on me" occasionally stopping to see what i knew about certain things unusal in the area. so , the next time they stopped i had some real good crediable info regaurding 2 wolves being shot , complete with names and locations. told them flat out, i won't provide anything because you guys can't be trusted. anymore i have zero respect for game wardens in wisconsin
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Barney II

You Wisconsin guys are right on about the wardens in the north and I assume elsewhere.  I too have reported violations by others and have never been thanked but had them turn on me.  I would not call them about anything, period .   It is very disheartening.
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

jdonovan

multiple contacts with game enforcement in multiple states, all of it negative. Never was breaking the law, but sure got accused of it.

Tried to help them out recently, and it went poorly. That was the last straw. I'm not going to impede their work, but I'm sure not going to be friendly and helpful anymore.

red oaks lumber

in wardens eyes ...guilty until proven innocent ;)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Southside

Had to call one earlier this evening.  Was closing up the layer houses when a shot rang out about 50 yards to the east right into one of our pasture areas.  I had planned to move some cows over there to get what was left of the grass in that area but the past few cold nights killed it off so I elected not to, they would have been right there.  Horse just about ran me over when he took off, chicken 6!@#%^&*, SOB turned around in my driveway as I tore off running that way.  Guess I have to start packing the H&K around the farm.  I hope this is not an indication of how the fall will go. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doctorb

Our DNR police have been incorporated within the Maryland State Police, to the best of my knowledge.  They are a lot more interested in stopping impaired boaters (which is a real problem and a safety hazard) than driving out to private land to check on trespassers or injured animals.  I understand there are priorities, but when you see people taking fish or game out of season, you don't get much response here.  I'd like to see them be able to handle those responsibilities better.

Good call Sprucebunny.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Southside

Agreed, I even called today to let them know there is a button buck dead in the soybeans 20 yards off the road with a bullet hole in the nasal cavity, and and obvious bump under the shoulder blade - pretty sure its the bullet, somebody might come out on Friday....
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

beenthere

Quote from: Southside logger on October 29, 2014, 08:08:32 PM
Agreed, I even called today to let them know there is a button buck dead in the soybeans 20 yards off the road with a bullet hole in the nasal cavity, and and obvious bump under the shoulder blade - pretty sure its the bullet, somebody might come out on Friday....

I've been reading this with interest. But Southside loggers report is what, to me, peaks a wardens' interest. Mostly because the warden has to wonder how the person calling knows so much about the details of one dead deer. Comes to mind, how can one tell a nasal cavity of a dead deer has a bullet hole (entry I presume) and a bump under the shoulder blade.

If I knew that much, I for sure wouldn't trust a warden to not think that I might just know more than I am letting on. Hence, raising their curiosity and the only "suspect" they know about is the one making the call. Seems natural that they would concentrate any investigation on that lone "suspect". If that makes any sense...

i.e. if the report comes from the only spectator, who is the one that will be talked to first? and maybe last.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

A shot in the dark means venison in the freezer.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chain

I think a rule-of-thumb in deciding to call would be.....

count to ten....sleep over it..go to coffee shop...and ask tired waitress if you should call....tip her if she says, "absolutely not!"

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

coxy

Quote from: Corley5 on October 29, 2014, 10:00:22 PM
not all the time ;D ;D

Southside

Beenthere -

Good point, I did not think of it like that.  To at least answer your question the gaping hole between the nose and eyes was a giveaway, the fact the shot about got me killed when the 1800 lb draft horse took off got me wound up - not to mention it could have been one of my cows behind it - and the hard bump that moves around and feels like some of the bullets I have removed from under the hide of deer I have killed makes me believe that is what it is.  Of course if I was going to kill one the last thing I would do is call anybody and report it.  But - yea, I get your point. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

LeeB

Quote from: Southside logger on October 29, 2014, 11:20:57 PM
Beenthere -

Good point, I did not think of it like that.  To at least answer your question the gaping hole between the nose and eyes was a giveaway, the fact the shot about got me killed when the 1800 lb draft horse took off got me wound up - not to mention it could have been one of my cows behind it - and the hard bump that moves around and feels like some of the bullets I have removed from under the hide of deer I have killed makes me believe that is what it is.  Of course if I was going to kill one the last thing I would do is call anybody and report it.  But - yea, I get your point. 

I don't and I'll take your reply to be tongue in cheek. Why would anyone call a warden to get themselves in trouble? I know how some of you feel about the way you have been treated by the wardens. I get it every time I come back into the country coming home from work. 90% of the customs officers treat you like a bonafied terrorist at the passport checkpoint.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

Quote90% of the customs officers treat you like a bonafied terrorist at the passport checkpoint.

And it may be the nature of the beast (the job), but it is an extension of my point. ;)  Whether it should be or not, it sometimes is the caller who is the only one around to be "examined" and questioned interrogated by the investigator... if one shows up.  Add to that, the over-anxious, newbie "youngster" wardens, and every leaf of yours is examined.
I don't like it to be this way, but it does seem to be one is taking that possibility on when making the call. Not all wardens are like this. Ya takes your chances. And if your neighbor hears a shot, and calls that he heard it, who will he/she check out first?  the one he/she knows in the area.  ;)
south central Wisconsin

Corley5

Quote from: coxy on October 29, 2014, 10:20:29 PM
Quote from: Corley5 on October 29, 2014, 10:00:22 PM
not all the time ;D ;D

If the shot was made at one of the DNR's radio controlled decoys  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!