iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to do with white cedar

Started by DonT, April 21, 2002, 12:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonT

Hi ,I am planning on cutting some white cedar in the near future.At what point is a tree worth turning in to lumber.I am currently using the small stuff with 6inch -8 inch bases for 12 foot fence rails.At 8ft. what should be my minimum top size to use for some 1inch boards or 2x4s?What does everyone else do with cedar? Thanks DonT

Tom

DonT fret Don, Tiimberbeast has exhibited a wonderful use for cedar that Jeff has informed me was White.  Panelling and furiture are immediate uses that come to mind.  

I DonT have access to White Cedar but do use Eastern Red Cedar, aromatic it is actually a Juniper.  Unless I have a tremendous amount of time, I draw the limit on the diameter of the top of most saw logs at 9".  This is a approximately a stretched hand span from tip of little finger to tip of thumb.  When you square a 9" top you will be lucky to get a 6 inch board.  The real reason for the limit is the ability to "dog" a smaller log on my horizontal band mill.  With a lot of effort I can hold one smaller but they generally tend to roll out of the clamp.

Look at some of the stuff Jeff is making  and you may decide to use some of it straight from the trunk of the tree.  It not only makes good furniture but porch posts, etc. as well.

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=general&action=display&num=1017620408&start=0

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=Business&action=display&num=1019122783

Kevin

I cut white cedar and it`s great for small projects like boxes, decks, carvers use it for decoys and its great for doors because it`s so light.
The smaller tops get used for beams and are great to place on the ground because of the rot resistance.

Jeff

Actually, the stuff made from White cedar is in the tread titled  Jeffs Log.   It is one of my favorites. You can use the small stuff in its natural form for rustic furniture, and a multitude of other projects. Most noted, as Kevin said, is its rot resistant properties and outdoor uses. It aint just yer Daddies fence post anymore!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Cedar Eater

White cedar below 9" diameter at the small end is mostly only used for fence boards and posts, unless you have a specialty use like boxes or garden stakes. It takes 9" to get a 6 X 6 for very straight logs, but cedar is rarely very straight.

Stakes at 8/4 X 8/4 or 6/4 X 6/4 last for several years and are often used in up to 8' lengths for keeping transplanted trees vertical (with guy wires).

I've cut about 500BF for use as rustic paneling. Vertical rough sawn un-edged interior paneling left untreated looks great for many years. You can easily cut cedar to only 3/8" for this purpose. You can also nail it up green (tightly) if you can tolerate 1/4" spacing between boards once it shrinks.
Cedar Eater

timberbeast

Can make really nice 1x4 T&G siding as well!  Wasn't a log from this batch that was over 10 inches,  big end...

Where the heck is my axe???

Thank You Sponsors!