iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to look for when buying a used Timberjack skidder.

Started by Stoneyacrefarm, February 15, 2017, 11:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneyacrefarm

Looking for some more input from you guys.
I'm looking at 2 used machines. 
A 230 super E  with eaton axles and a Hercules / eaton winch.
And a 230 d with Rockwell axles that I'm looking at to buy.
What key things should I be looking at that will sway me one way or the other between the 2 machines.
Both are in nice looking / working condition.
The 230D has chains all around.
The E has chains on the front.  The E machine might be in a little better condition. But is a bit more money.
What ever advice you can give would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Neilo

Tires, leaks, pivot wear, brake function. Any features that you like for your use. You can check some oils on the machine and look at brass winch gear through the filler.

danbuendgen

Eaton rear ends hold up much better. That would be my choice.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

bushmechanic

As Neilo said, check  the front cradle bushings, the center hinge bushings and steering cylinder bushings for wear. I always pull the level plugs and insert a piece of wire to check the quality of the oils. Went to look at a forwarder once and every wheel end had water in them and when we started it the transmission was froze solid with ice, needless to say it didn't get bought! I prefer the E series because the Eaton components seem to hold up better. Now don't get me wrong the D series is a very capable machine as well. Tires are expensive so you might want to look at that. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Stoneyacrefarm

Neilo, bush mechanic.
To check the pins and bushings.
Have the machine on flat ground and pivot the machine back and forth while watching them.?
Tires are decent on both of them. Chains also.
I'll check the axles and fluids also.
The E machine is about 8 k more than the D machine.
Not sure if it's worth that much more for the money.
Thanks for everyone advice.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Caseybow123

Both great machines. I personally would go with the D, only because I  wouldn't be able to justify paying 8 grand more for the E model.

Neilo

Also check pins by lowering blade and lifting front end. Apply drive forward and see if you get center pin movement.

Stoneyacrefarm

How long do the center pins last?
I'm told The D machine was done 5 or 6 years ago.
Probably depends on how hard they've been run?
Work hard. Be rewarded.

danbuendgen

Quote from: Stoneyacrefarm on February 16, 2017, 01:13:02 PM
How long do the center pins last?
I'm told The D machine was done 5 or 6 years ago.
Probably depends on how hard they've been run?

That all depends on the operator, maintenance, and the amount of hours on the pins. If the machine was only used occasionally and the operator greased them often, they could be fine. If the pins are worn you can tell just by driving it around. I mean, you can feel it when operating. Clunk clunk clunk.

If it goes back and forth all day long, my mechanic says to grease em 2x a day. If you work alone and chop and skid your own hitches, once a day is fine.

I have a buddy who is looking for a lightly used grapple skidder, he looked at a handful out of Maine that were only a few years old with low hours and the centers were shot. He said the machines looked like they never saw grease.....

Also, center pins aren't too bad on a 200 series Timberjack as long as the bushings aren't worn out.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

Stoneyacrefarm

Update.
Looked at another machine today. It was supposed to be a 1976 230d.
It looked a lot older than any other machines I've looked at.
I made an offer on a 230e this afternoon.
Let's see if it goes thru.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Mountain_d

If you get the 230E post some pictures in your gallery. I am curious how it compares to mine. Especially the transfer case and brakes. I need to redo my brakes and I have some parts missing. Drum etc. Would like to see what it is supposed to look like. I think I have a New Process transfer case which has a different brake setup from the EAton transfer case.
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

Stoneyacrefarm

I've seen a couple 380 grapple machines for sale in my area.
Anyone had any good or bad experiences with them.
I'm going to look at them this weekend.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Decked

There's one ( grapple) right here for sale...I got to play round with it a little. Easy on 'n off...I like that ! I'd rather live without the Jimmy motor tho...

Stoneyacrefarm

My turn tomorrow to try one.
I'll keep you posted.
I'm clearing 15-20 acres and logging the rest of my land with it.
Trying to find the right machine for me that's on my budget.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Thank You Sponsors!