iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PatD's Gumbo

Started by Magicman, December 25, 2013, 01:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I mentioned in another thread about our Christmas traditional meal has evolved to a large pot of Gumbo.  First, I love a steaming hot bowl gumbo, but also, it gives Pat a break from preparing a meal consisting of so many fixings.  Since cold is the normal, it warms the soul as well as the belly.

First, you make a rouix roux .

Which goes into the pot first.

Next is stock from boiling a couple of chicken breast chicken.

Smoked sausage.

Onion and celery are diced.

After saute' it goes into the pot.

Along with the cooked chicken, sausage, and shrimp, plus seasoned to taste.

Served over rice, it makes a fine meal.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Anything above 40° I'm in favor of.  :)
That looks so good Magic.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

coxy

looks good     is that all there is to the recipe never had that be for would love to try it ;D

Magicman

(I changed the chicken breast above to a chicken.)
Tony's was about the only additional seasoning other than salt & pepper.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coxy

Corley5

That looks REALLY GOOD  8) 8) :) :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Andy White

DanG Lynn, you are good!!! I can smell that in Texas! Looks like momma used to make. Enjoy my friend!    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

samandothers

MM
Glad Pat is feeling better and able to do the gumbo.  I am sure you helped in order to keep up the 'being a cook' practice.

Looks very good and similar to an SC low country boil.  Need to give it... rather request the better half to give it a whirl!

clww

Looks delicious!
:new_year:
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

NWP

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

My fat fingered apology for putting that "i" in the roux.  roux

Magicman

Pat reminded me that she put in a can of diced tomatoes (she did stuff when I was not looking) and that most folks always add okra.  Gumbo file' is also a much used ingredient.  File' is made from powdered Sassafras leaves.

beenthere

Speaking of okra,  member Okrafarmer hasn't been around for about 5 weeks..  Hope he is ok.

The gumbo looks real good. Hope to get some made up around here someday soon.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I talked with Jim (Oakrafarmer) on the phone today.  He is OK, but his computer is acting badly.  Also, work is a bit slow and he catching whatever jobs that become available.  He has a lot of mouths to feed.

clww

Hope he's making ends meet.
:new_year:
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

NWP

Looks good!  I make jambalaya but I put the rice in the pot when it's almost done. And no roux. I'm not sure what the difference is between gumbo and jambalaya.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Magicman

Mostly, it's the way it is cooked.  As you mentioned, the rice goes in jambalaya and gumbo is served over rice.  To me, the rice in jambalaya usually soaks up the liquid making it a drier dish.  I like them both, but prefer gumbo.

scgargoyle

Looks a lot like the gumbo I make, only I bring more heat ( a LOT more heat).

We smoke turkeys fairly often, and my wife boils the carcass for stock, which we then use as a base for gumbo, among other things. That smoky stock adds another flavor profile.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

RynSmith

Quote from: scgargoyle on December 27, 2013, 07:34:44 AM
That smoky stock adds another flavor profile.

Oooooh, I bet it does!   8)

thurlow

Onliest thing I would do different is to use Tony Chachere's Instant Roux;  I swear you can't tell it from home-made and it shortens the cooking time considerably.............
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Magicman

She has used it and yes, it is good.   ;D

BradMarks

That looks yummers!   My wife is from LOOsiana and I mostly get jambalaya. She uses Andouille suasage along with other goodies. Was that andouille in the gumbo?  Couldn't read the label well enough.  And I'm very happy your wife is doing better (or so it seems).

Thank You Sponsors!