iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3-53 or 4-53 detroit transplant ?

Started by RunningRoot, December 17, 2014, 06:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puffergas

I did a couple 353 transplants in an IHC pickum-up truck.
Started out with an aluminum gama goat engine that had a lot of problems. Thats the red engine in the below photos.

So that one had problems right from the get go. No more used engines for me so I locked my self in an insulated garden shed with a ton of parts one winter and built me a turbo version with all the trimmings. For noise I went with the silent gears, turbo, cast valve cover and a truck muffler. Plus I got to configure it the way I wanted like which way you put the head on so you pick which side the exhaust is on etc. etc...  ;D

Sure sounded just right.... 8)

You'll notice that it's reconfigured later. No end to the changes and improvements... :o

Marry Christmas    :new_year:
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

KyLogger

Love the ol' Cornbinder!!!!! I want it.......................
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

deastman

Bought a Clark 667 grapple skidder once with a 4-53 turbo. On the 7th twitch the crank broke and that was it for the engine.  Found a used 6BT Cummins out of a 380 Timberjack and retrofit it in the Clark.  Took a couple weeks to find all the parts and make the swap, had to fabricate new motor mounts and a few other things. It was well worth all the work when it was finished,  the Cummins has a different torque curve and it was like a whole new machine. Instead of having to floor the pedal with the 4-53 to get it moving the Cummins would start pulling just off of idle. I would recommend swapping in a 4BT,  you won't believe the differnce it'll make to your skidder.
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

tantoy

Quote from: Puffergas on December 25, 2014, 01:19:52 AM
I did a couple 353 transplants in an IHC pickum-up truck.
Started out with an aluminum gama goat engine that had a lot of problems. Thats the red engine in the below photos.

So that one had problems right from the get go. No more used engines for me so I locked my self in an insulated garden shed with a ton of parts one winter and built me a turbo version with all the trimmings. For noise I went with the silent gears, turbo, cast valve cover and a truck muffler. Plus I got to configure it the way I wanted like which way you put the head on so you pick which side the exhaust is on etc. etc...  ;D

Sure sounded just right.... 8)

You'll notice that it's reconfigured later. No end to the changes and improvements... :o

Marry Christmas    :new_year:
WOW WOW WOW, That is cool. What vintage were pictures 80's?
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

ga jones

That's a man after my own heart! Silver 353 turbo clone!
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Puffergas

The old cornbinder has done an amazing amount of work. It's first 10 years was plowing snow for a school and then I got it. But it's been put to rest. The pictures were before digital cameras so I'll say mid to late 80's but the truck was on the road in year 2002 or there abouts.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Thank You Sponsors!