iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skunks - dog sprayed

Started by GAV64, September 15, 2004, 03:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAV64

This morning Mr. Storm (8 yr old siberian pain in the ***) does not have a friend in the world.It seems that he found a animal with a racing stripe, Mr. Storm not being too smart and liking to chase and run things down  (squirrels, neighbors chickens, cars ect...) figured this must be a fast one so i'll give him a run and see if I can catch-em. I now look to the vast knowledge of the forum for any sure fire remidies to get rid of the stench. I will check the board before I leave work at 2 pm est., no need to reply after that time since I will be foaming him down with something by 3. thanks ahead of time. glenn

MULE_MAN

Well I never had to try it, But I a was alway told Tomatoes Juice would kill the smell. So if you have a large can of it, I would soak him down with it and give him a bath.
I'm hoping he didn't also get bit . Skunks are well know for carrying Rabies. Not a good thing.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

sprucebunny

Someone recently told me to use diluted bleach (like 5-1) and then shampoo. I've used tomato juice ,worked some. Don't use V-8: It's totally nauseating. Voice of (gag) experience.
My husky prefers porkiepines.And only understands Siberian.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ed_K

We always used regular tomato juice. then hair shampoo. then she stayed out for a day, with you've been a bad girl. Didn't help tho, she only spoke siberian. Had to keep her tied as she like anything that moved  >:(.
Ed K

Corley5

Two quarts of hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda and a tbsp of dish soap.  Mix it together and work it into the dogs coat then rinse them with clean water.  It works 8) 8)  Doesn't completely erase the smell but sure takes the bite away.  We've used it several times as have Mom and Dad.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sprucebunny

GAV64--What did you use and how did it work?
Had a lovely game of "wash-the -husky" myself. When all the truck windows are open and I can still smell the dog its time for a bath.
She prefers warm water. Second bath in two weeks. She's fond of wading in black muck ( my predominant soil type) and rolling in anything that smells bad ::)

Woodcarver

I've used both tomato juice and hydrogen peroxide (dogs can be slow learners). I think hydrogen peroxide is more effective than tomato juice.  
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Ron Wenrich

Most pet stores have a skunk-be-gone type of spray. We always have one on hand, and it works real well.  

We've been down the tomato juice road, and it works OK until the dog gets wet.  You'll smell it for months.  Also been told that Massengill works.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

I have a brother-in-law that is a dog warden. I think if our Husky gets sprayed, I'll take her down and swap her out for a de-odorized model.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Old man Massengill, next door, sure ain't gonna appreciate y'all bringin' yer skunked dog to his house. :D

CHARLIE

Skunks are real smart animals. Have y'all noticed how they know to migrate towards the highway when it's time for them to die? ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

GAV64

Thanks to all for your replys. Mr. Storm got a double wash of 3 pts peroxide and 1/2 box of arm and hammer and dish soap. I had to modify the recipe by corley the store only had 6 pts. I followed that with coconut shampoo, he smells peerty.
I found the skunk under the deck, a duel striper, probably a yearling, looks pretty healthy but definately dead. Taking him to the virulogy lab to get his head examined just to be safe. Mr Storm was a rescue dog, out of a project living in a laundry room chained to a pipe he was about year old. We were his third home, when I went to get his old vet records I found out why, " killed neighbors bunnys" as a pup so theygot rid of him to the dope that had him tied up in the laundry room. So then he moves out to the country, you think he'd be gratefull, heck no!!!! Seven years of hell!!! Doesn't listen, you could be 10 feet away and he just ignores you. You let him out and he'd run in only one direction and  I would have to drive around town to try and find him(usually in the middle of the night). He would go to a horse farm about a mile away, I would find him near at the edge where field meets forest stalking the horses like a wolf, he'd get into the neighbors chickens, tormenting the neighborhood squirrels, moles and chipmunks, two towns and 5 miles away i'd spring him from the dog warden after getting hit by a car (dislocated hip)$30 plus vet bills. I found him asleep on a strangers kitchen floor with Sam after being out on a all night romp (she didnt want them to get hit by a car) she took them in and fed them. I had had enough, listed him on a rescue site and got a taker, even explained all his "problems" they still wanted him. Drove and hour to drop him off, The house  backed up to a interstate highway, Told the people it wasn't going to work out ( he woulldn't make the day), through him back in the truck, that was six years ago. He truely is my foster child, He doesn't run away anymore, we got rid of the training collar he ignored that too, I got tired of running after him with the zap button he was out of reach in a heartbeat. He is what we wish we all were, a free spirit, answering to no one just having a good ole time. Would I trade him, not on you life, would i ever get another, no way life because the only good husky has an engine the four legged kind S**k., and for you Jeffb to drop one off to get another you are a better man that I. glenn.

sprucebunny

Glad your "pet" is smelling better.Bet you wish you could wash his attitude!
My husky was tied to a chicken coop ( no chickens!) for 7 years before I got her. She had never been indoors. Boy, is she making up for all those cold nights outdoors! If she can't be on the sofa ,she is a hundred miles an hour gone so she doesn't get off a leash except when we go up to my land which is 5 miles from the rest of the world. Don't let her loose in spring or early summer 'cause she's a bird dog .But she already knew how to run along side a vehicle so I take her running with the ATV.
She's gotten to like being patted after 2 1/2 years but is still very contensious so only has one dog friend.Likes people too much to be a guard dog . Usually sits when she sees anything like a sled.
Yup.. Jeff must have alot of patience to trade-in for another husky.
I'd get a cat before I got another husky--they aren't all that different and I don't think I'd have to show the cat where the mouse  was and yell KILL!.She is also the first and last pure bred dog for me.

sprucebunny

CHARLIE--I always thought that the skunks all got killed on the road from trying to mate with white wall tires ;D

Percy

:D :D :D :D :D :DGotta love them Huskys. I had one (Nikki) that had a heart of gold and brain of mush, sharp as a marble, dumber than a post. He used to steal stuff from other peoples houses(back porches, yadda). Came home once with a brand new pair of work boots.The good kind. Never did find the owner of them :o  :D :D :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

sprucebunny

A friend was telling me yesterday about how her husky, who is the sweetest boy dog I know, went into the big supermarket and right up to the deli counter. They were feeding him bologna to keep the "beast " from eating them.  Another time he escaped and came back with a plastic shopping bag with a whole chicken in it !! I'd really like to know how he got that chicken. Did someone throw it at him? Steal it off the cart when they turned thier back?
"Here ma,can you cook it for me?"
I've had a couple of dogs that stole stuff. Usually stuffed animals.
Hope the boots fit you, Percy ;D Must have been a little bright to get you both boots :D

Thank You Sponsors!