iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

What happened to the vids?  Yikes!  I'll look into that.

Temps were in the high 70's and low 80's during the heat of the day but overall pretty decent :)

Blade tension I keep at 3000psi at all times (if not slightly higher which it does as sap builds up on the belts and I turn it back to 3000 when I see it -- and I watch non stop).  The 4 degree bands don't crown on the big wide cuts like 10's do and I find I can set the speed and let'er go with the 4's but listen for band chatter because when they go dull their dull!  Change em out!

I don't get the life of others but wonder if that's a function of the 26.5hp vs 34hp motor???  After all, if throttle speed drops from a loose drive belt band life disappears as it heats up too fast.  Therefore, a bigger motor will drive the band at a faster pace (no bogging down I suspect) thereby letting it stay cooler longer I'm thinking.  Best I've seen so far is around 600bf per band.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

OK vids are back!  Seems YouTube had a glitch

Magicman

I see nothing wrong with your blade life.  A 4° blade is closer to perpendicular so it is doing a bit more ""scraping" compared with a 10° blade but I find that they will saw truer in hard/knotty logs.  This scraping may tend to dull the teeth a bit sooner but everything is a trade off.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

On a side note, since I'd passed 100,000 board feet I applied to WM 100,000 board foot club :) 8)  Don't think it does anything for me (discounts I think come at the million mark) but heck I thought it was cool :)

I'm now showing 116,445 board feet on the LT40  8) :o  Would be nice to turn 150k this year :)

fishfighter

You were getting paid to saw those logs in that area? If so, shame on you. :D

WV Sawmiller

He should be getting a premium to work in a place like that because it is so difficult to keep sawing instead of stopping to go fishing.

Then again, Eric is probably one of those Hollywood Marines trained at the boot camp at San Diego next to the airport watching the flights come and go all day instead of the hard corps Marines we trained out in isolation in the swamps of Parris Island and he is better adapted to deal with constant distractions. :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OlJarhead

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 19, 2018, 05:30:36 PM
  He should be getting a premium to work in a place like that because it is so difficult to keep sawing instead of stopping to go fishing.

Then again, Eric is probably one of those Hollywood Marines trained at the boot camp at San Diego next to the airport watching the flights come and go all day instead of the hard corps Marines we trained out in isolation in the swamps of Parris Island and he is better adapted to deal with constant distractions. :D :D
Ahhh yup!  They issued us Sunglasses and  Beach Towels and we laughed at the swamp rats being eaten by chiggers and sand flees!.....(removed Marine Speak -- sorry admin!)

WV Sawmiller

Eric,

Your chiggers comment reminded me of a Sgt who was a DI on our team who had gotten chiggers in the pine straw out at Page Field, the old airport area where we did field training there at PI. He had so many bites and such a bad reaction I am sure when he dies/died it will be/was with the pock marks still all over his body.

Also reminds me of the time I popped a parachute flare too low during night training and we (I?) nearly burned the whole training area down.

Hang in there. Enjoy the good life. I bet the next site won't be as nice.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OlJarhead

well darn I fueled up the mill about three quarters maybe just slightly more but certainly not all the way, the can filled upfilled and the truck and headed up to my mill site. I'm up about 4000 feet and was at about a thousand feet when I filled up now the mill won't start.   this happened a couple times to me before and wood miser told me it was a fuel lock.  Unfortunately I'm not sure what to do, maybe if I leave it for a few hours it'll clear itself up and start but I don't know. No spark plug wrench to try to pull plug don't have any pressure in the fuel system with it off so I have no ideas.   It just won't turn.

OlJarhead

Crusarius

I usually use compressed air or since I have a portable co2 tank. Just put a little pressure in the fuel tank. it should help.

redbeard

Fuel pump could be culprit the diaphragm could have a hole in it.
That's what happened to me.
Mill would run intermittent.
Fuel filter could be clogging up also.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

KirkD

Could be altitude change to. Can you shut the fuel off and see if that make a difference? I know a plastic water bottle half full will expand and contract going over the Cascade passes here.

Want to see something interesting see what it does to a bag of potato chips with a 4 or 5000' elevation change.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

OlJarhead

Oh it is the altitude change and WM knows about it.  I just filled it up more than 3/4 and shouldn't have I guess.  It wasn't full, but it was too much still.

Made it up to over 4000 feet without issue other than the rough road in made for a slow last 4 miles or so.

After leveling off the truck I was starting to think I'd not mill at all!  The customer suddenly had to drive his helpers back to town and i was left to set up the mill knowing I wouoldn't have much help to mill for the rest of the day and it was before noon!  Not a good feeling have driven so far and into a tough spot to get to.

Only thing to do was set up and hope for the best ;)

Took this shot of the generator run time.  This is a new camper but I've used the genny a lot on milling jobs and love it!

Once set up I rolled up the big pine that was near the mill and knowing he wanted 5/4 stuff from it I began building a CANT but realized I didn't have a width from him so decided to wait until he arrived.  When he did he advised to make everything as wide as I could :)

Gratuitous shot of the mill from the camper step ;)

Once we finished up we headed down the mountain to the customers home to check out some of his projects with the lumber I'd made for him the year before.  He did all the work himself though he has Parkinson's disease and often has to take breaks, is hard to understand and sometimes can't use his hands or legs etc etc....so ya, amazing!

I love the doors and wainscotting frankly and his shop is amazing.  He was a contractor/developer so clearly had the nice tools!  Grizzly shapers, jointers, planers and massive saw tables and more!  Nice shop, the kind I dream of LOL

I'm taking a little time off now to let my hands rest a bit but here's a shot of the setup :)  The tire up front is to take some weight off the rear since I'm so heavy with the mill but it does block the radiator a bit.  Doesn't seem to matter though and I'll know for sure when we head south for a week vacation soon.

caveman

Erik, thank you for sharing your experience.  Wood-Mizer ought to be using your mill and sawing sites for a sawmill brochure or postcards.  As the owner and photographer I would think there would be some perks.
Caveman

FloridaMike

Great work and on-scene reporting! 

If the spare up front causes any cooling problems, maybe mounting it (quick disconnect) near the rear of the mill.  Would get it out of the truck's cooling air and also reduce some tongue weight (if the mill axle has the capacity).

Mike
Mike

fishfighter

Air bags are your friend with a truck camper. Very easy to install and you can find them for under $300.

OlJarhead

Got the air bags and upper and lower stable loads ;)  But I was sitting at 8240lbs at last weight in with the mill and the tires are rated at 4080lbs ea (so 8160 on the rears).  Just trying to get under the tire weight rating on the rear axle.

Drove the truck and camper 1200 miles in the last week :)  No issues at all!

bags

I move my mill (HM130) between 5100' and 9300' without a problem. If your orange critter has a tuff time start'in up high--- ya might try shut'in the fuel valve off while your still down low, and run'in it out of gas/diesel to relive altitude pressures.

OlJarhead

Trick is to just keep it below 3/4 when going up like that ;)

FloridaMike

Quote from: bags on July 11, 2018, 08:38:41 PM
... ya might try shut'in the fuel valve off while your still down low, and run'in it out of gas/diesel to relive altitude pressures.
I don't think I have ever seen advice given to intentionally run a diesel out of fuel.  I have always tried to avoid the whole priming/air bleeding process whenever possible, of course I live at 55' above sea level.
Mike

OlJarhead

After taking the last two months (or so) off from milling I'm heading out tomorrow for a one day gig at a repeat customer.  Should be good but I'll admit the arthritis has been a challenge this summer and my old myalgias from the gulf have been haunting me too.  Still, I'll head out to mill and do a short 2 hour job on Monday too :)

Meanwhile, saw what looked like an LT40 Super HD in town today!  It's at a local tree trimmers so I guess after I stopped in a year or so ago they decided to heck with me and bought their own! :o 

Magicman

It's good to see you back sawing. 

I passed a trailer load of painted end logs going to someone's sawmill this morning so no one can have it all.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

Welcome back. Finish early and get home safe.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!