iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Before Pulling Your Mill....Check and Re-Check!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, September 05, 2016, 07:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Deese on September 06, 2016, 04:05:02 PM
Looks like Mesquite Buckeye's truck  ;D

Well I wasn't gonna mention no names.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

kensfarm

Looks like Arizona tags.. you can see the last letters.  Maybe he only pulls a couple of Kayaks? 

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

red

I hope they lock the steering wheel properly. Next piece is obviously a double coupler setup.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

fishfighter

kelLOGg

Even worse than the truck owner is the manufacturer of the hitch. What is the manufacturer's intent for mounting? There is a bolt hole (awful design) and very little area for welding (and what would you weld it to?) I guess you could epoxy it to a plastic bumper.

I was going to buy a dozen but I think I will hold off.

Oh, maybe the manufacturer is not crazy. The right-most end is supposed to slip into a receiver, and if you don't have one - well, no problem - just do like they do in Arizona.   ;D
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: kelLOGg on September 08, 2016, 08:14:32 AM
Even worse than the truck owner is the manufacturer of the hitch. What is the manufacturer's intent for mounting? There is a bolt hole (awful design) and very little area for welding (and what would you weld it to?) I guess you could epoxy it to a plastic bumper.

I was going to buy a dozen but I think I will hold off.

Oh, maybe the manufacturer is not crazy. The right-most end is supposed to slip into a receiver, and if you don't have one - well, no problem - just do like they do in Arizona.   ;D
Bob
Hard to tell the scale but it looks like the left part is a normal ball mount that slips into a receiver (the ball would be mounted where the bolt is).  The 3-ball end looks like it could be for a 1ΒΌ" receiver.  I guess the owner found the parts at Wallyworld that fit together and figured out how to attach the mess to his truck...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

red

Drawtite Legos . . Just wait for the Trailer Brake Setup
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

JJ

When somebody gets hurt by this, they (injury lawyers) will find it was the hitch manufacturer's fault for not providing correct application instructions on a sticker.
Then there will be a class action case, where everybody who has bought this insert will get like a $1 rebate, and the lawyers will get many $Ms
I think I will go buy one today.

JJ

ChugiakTinkerer

Quote from: JJ on September 08, 2016, 10:22:07 AM
When somebody gets hurt by this, they (injury lawyers) will find it was the hitch manufacturer's fault for not providing correct application instructions on a sticker.
Then there will be a class action case, where everybody who has bought this insert will get like a $1 rebate, and the lawyers will get many $Ms
I think I will go buy one today.

JJ

More likely it will be a coupon good for $1 off your next CrazyHitch purchase.   ::)
Woodland Mills HM130

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gimpy

The first thought I had was, "what was their thought process." A ball, $10. That set up? $75-100. Doesn't really look redneck to me. Spent far to much.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

ScottAR

Agreed.  The bolted down bit is for a Class V receiver 2.5", a pin to match, and a 2" 3 way hitch. 

We'll assume that's grade 8 bolt and you got $100 worth of stupid.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Bandmill Bandit

Some of those could qualify the creator/user for a Darwin Award UNLESS he is still alive AND already reproduced off spring! 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

sealark37

We don't know how far he is planning to move.  Whatever it takes!     Regards, Clark

Southside

"Life is hard, it's even harder when you are stupid"
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

I bet it was a twenty something that borrowed a trailer to move from one crummy apartment to another. I have 3 twenty somethings, so don't ask how I know. :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Tom the Sawyer

Not a mill, but close.

A couple of months ago I had a client who had walnut tree taken down for a remodeling project and the tree service agreed to bring two logs to my mill site.  The owner's wife showed up with a fancy pickup and a big dump trailer (14K).  There were about 6 "logs" in the trailer and she asked where I wanted them.  I told her to dump them where she was and I would move them with the forklift.  

As the trailer was lifting the logs started to slide and at the tipping point, the hitch flew into the air, until one chain caught it.  The hitch was padlocked but the trailer had a 2 5/16" coupler and she had a 1 7/8" ball on the hitch.  Had to unlock the hitch, change the ball (it was a 3-way), and then unload the trailer with the forklift until the load shifted enough to let the trailer down.  Made sure the breakaway cable was connected. Good thing she didn't hit a big bump on the highway.  She had no idea how long it had been that way, apparently she had been using the trailer for brush, instead of logs.

FLASHBACK 

Many years ago, I worked a crash where a construction crew was pulling a big GD compressor south on State Line Rd.  Hit a bump and the unlocked pintle hitch opened up.  Compressor tongue clipped the back of the pickup, then crossed the center line at 35 mph, and hit an oncoming station wagon almost head-on, tongue went through the driver's compartment and elderly driver, in the other state.  Instant fatality (and mine to work since the first damage occurred in our state) and huge settlement.  

Maintaining your equipment, and following the rules is so important, although hopefully you'll never need to find out why.  
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Ianab

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on August 08, 2018, 10:24:35 PMMany years ago, I worked a crash where a construction crew was pulling a big GD compressor south on State Line Rd.  Hit a bump and the unlocked pintle hitch opened up.  Compressor tongue clipped the back of the pickup, then crossed the center line at 35 mph, and hit an oncoming station wagon almost head-on, tongue went through the driver's compartment and elderly driver, in the other state.  Instant fatality (and mine to work since the first damage occurred in our state) and huge settlement.

Seen the aftermath of a similar unhitching locally. The actual towbar on the vehicle failed and turned loose a trailer and boat at ~60mph. Safety chain and coupling held, but the whole bar they were attached to came loose. Again the drawbar went through the windscreen of an oncoming car and killed the driver instantly.  I think the company / engineer that designed and built the towbar got shut down over that one. Design was too flimsy and poorly welded. 

Any major "modification" to a car here in NZ has to be certified by a qualified transport engineer. The companies that make the towbars have someone qualified to certify their standard or custom designs. So you can order a standard certified towbar for your car, and your local mechanic can fit it. Something got missed in that case, and a weak design got approved. 

Another guy got charged with manslaughter or similar when he lost a trailer and it took out a couple of kids on the footpath. Coupling was worn and I think wrong size, no safety chain, and the trailers safety inspection had expired by a couple of years (would have picked up the worn coupling and missing chain). The cops charged both the driver, and his employer who owned the trailer.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!