iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CPA Recommendations - Cadillac Area

Started by Out On A Limb, February 24, 2006, 07:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Out On A Limb

Could anyone recommend a good CPA in the Cadillac area?  Preferably one that is knowledgeable with the Michigan Timber Tax laws.

I have some property near Cadillac, and even though I have not yet had a timber sale, I want to begin establishing a good relationship with a CPA for when it does come time to do some logging.

In addition to Timber Tax laws, does anyone know how boulders would be classified?  Would they be considered minerals?  I made a substantial sale of boulders from my property in 2005, and I'm hoping the CPA can address this somehow.

Any adivse is much appreciated.

Jeff

I sent your post to Ron Scott so he would be sure to look at it. That is his town, and if there is someone to know regarding that, he knows them.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

There are several in the Cadillac area. 3 that I'm most familar with and depending upon your specific situation and needs are:

Baird, Cotter & Bishop, P.C.
Cadillac Accounting & Tax Services, Inc.
Jay K Thiebaut, CPA, PC

I often use Karen Vanderwall the manager of the local H & R Block offices here in Cadillac as she is also very knowledgeable and able to provide specific  information as needed.

The price received for the sale of the "boulders" would probably be handled as a capital gain unless they are spelled out as a mineral in your property deed as designated mineral. Sand and gravel are often spelled out and are valued as a mineral, but I'm not sure how boulders fit in unless their value was previously recognized with sand, gravel, quarry stone, rock, etc.

A good question!  :P
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!