iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any recommendations on who to call for milling a large oak in Tampa area?

Started by cdb529, November 17, 2014, 02:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdb529

Any recommendations on who to call for milling a large oak in Tampa area? I am in New Port Richey. The bottom of trunk was approximately 180 " around and 53" across. I hate to see this cut up for firewood.  Tree already down and only trunk remains.  Came down Sat.

scsmith42

You will want to look for someone with a slabber and a swing blade type sawmill.  I know that there are a few in Florida but don't recall where.

Good luck!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

cdb529

DR_Buck

Click on the extras link at the top. Then the "find a database".  I think there is a link for find a sawyer.  I can't confirm it as Im5 on  a tablet and can't open the links .
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

cdb529

Any recommendations on who to call for milling a large oak in Tampa area? I am in New Port Richey. The bottom of trunk was approximately 180 " around and 53" across. I hate to see this cut up for firewood.  Tree already down and only trunk remains.  Came down Sat. 11/15/14.

drobertson

Sounds like a dandy one, if it's solid, even not there should be plenty of goodness come from it, seems like there is someone in Florida with a slabber mill, can't remember who or where, surely they will get word, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

cdb
Don't need to post more than once. Admins will get your post in the right spot. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

slider

al glenn

cdb529

Any recommendations on who to call for milling a large oak in Tampa area? I am in New Port Richey. The bottom of trunk was approximately 180 " around and 53" across. I hate to see this cut up for firewood.  Tree already down and only trunk remains.  Came down Sat. 11/15/14.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

cdb529

Herb Brooks

I pulled up the member map and there are several members near Tampa.  the link is at the top of the page. 

ellmoe

A 53" oak is probably live oak. I wouldn't have any interest in it and I don't know anyone local that would. The best chance of moving it will be to a hobbist/rustic furniture maker. There is someone that does that in Tampa, but I don't know if they will have any interest in live oak.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Jeff

Quote from: cdb529 on November 17, 2014, 02:04:40 PM
Any recommendations on who to call for milling a large oak in Tampa area? I am in New Port Richey. The bottom of trunk was approximately 180 " around and 53" across. I hate to see this cut up for firewood.  Tree already down and only trunk remains.  Came down Sat.

Before you make another post, I want you to go to the bottom of the page, click on the link and read the rules on posting.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

cdb529

Sorry Jeff. I didn't mean to post twice as previously stated.  I went to another section and was going to ask a question and think I pasted my latest copy by mistake.  Not sure how to delete once posted.  Also, I don't see the link at the bottom of the page you mentioned.  Again, very sorry!

Thank You Sponsors!