iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 090 Chainsaw Milling - Granberg - First Post

Started by homestead090, May 22, 2018, 10:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

homestead090

Hi Fellas,
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've always enjoyed this site and found many answers to questions so I decided to finally join up. What brought me here was an interest in chainsaw milling. I ended up with a Stihl 090 and a Granberg mill which has been a good combo so far. Lots of power in the saw and a great mill. I will say that the long running time does vibrate the saw a bit, already lost a number of screws and broke some stuff. One thing I'm on the look out for is a flywheel for the saw. Here's a photo of the one I want if anyone has one or knows someone that does. Hope I post the picture right..we'll see.

I've also made some videos using the saw and I've got some others of related things I'm doing milling....perhaps this would all be better in a milling thread.
Here's my latest video.
Monster Chainsaw Milling Monster Walnut FINALE! - YouTube
Looking forward to being able to ask questions and get you all's feedback on some things. So I guess this is my "Hello" post, most of my interest will be around chainsaws and milling.
Saws I have are ...Stihl 090 with a second one coming soon from ebay soon (both non-av), Stihl MS390, Stihl S10 (top handle), Homelite XL and a tiny 32cc Montgomery Ward Featherweight. Hopefully, the pictures and the video pop up....nice meeting you all.

Furniture maker and wood collector.

sawguy21

Welcome aboard!! You have come to the right place. The saw is getting on in years, that flywheel is for the breaker ignition. I don't NEED an 090 but if one came my way...
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

homestead090,nice meeting you too.
Welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dakota

Welcome !  I enjoyed your video.  All I can say is, "ah, to be young again".
Dave Rinker

homestead090

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 23, 2018, 01:06:28 AM
Welcome aboard!! You have come to the right place. The saw is getting on in years, that flywheel is for the breaker ignition. I don't NEED an 090 but if one came my way...
Thanks, seen you in many of the threads I have read through. The saw is indeed on in years, could be almost twice my age. 

cbla

homestead090

Weekend_Sawyer

Welcome, and well done thread!
I have recently gotten back into chainsaw milling. Fun, fun, fun!!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Devon

Enjoyed your video.  Thanks for sharing.  That was a ton of work!

Can you elaborate a bit on the winch that is on your mill?   That sure looks like a good idea. 

Jessie Wilburn

This saw is great I keep it in the cab of my loader and when I'm parked on a slight incline wala put this in front of tire instance e break

glenj

Love your channel man, you do some awesome work.. 

homestead090

Quote from: Devon on June 06, 2018, 08:55:12 AM
Enjoyed your video.  Thanks for sharing.  That was a ton of work!

Can you elaborate a bit on the winch that is on your mill?   That sure looks like a good idea.
It was a cheap winch I got off Amazon, here's a video showing how I went about it. https://youtu.be/TSVn6rH2UyA
I also put a link in the video description to the winch. It was an easy thing to set up.

hedgerow

Quote from: homestead090 on August 28, 2018, 01:37:52 AM

It was a cheap winch I got off Amazon, here's a video showing how I went about it. https://youtu.be/TSVn6rH2UyA
I also put a link in the video description to the winch. It was an easy thing to set up.
Nice set up. Happy milling. 

HolmenTree

Good thread homestead090, thanks for sharing.
All you need now is a HD 090 gear drive to mill some big wood .

Legend chainsaw miller Will Malloff who wrote a book on the subject developed a winch setup milling oversize red cedar, redwood and doug fir with a 090Gear with a winch pulling the saw and Alaskan mill from the end of the log. This way he was away from the vibration, noise and  dust of the saw, just sit and pull the winch crank. The throttle was rigged to go WOT when tension was applied to the winch cable.

I once owned his book but sadly loaned it out to someone and it went with him when he moved out of the country .
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

bwstout

Welcome lots of info here, have some of your sechamic for the kitchen island building for my daughter for Christmas this year.
home built mill

Al_Smith

Wow well done .A thought came to mind as a I watched that back breaking removal --skid loader .

homestead090

Quote from: bwstout on August 28, 2018, 11:23:05 AM
Welcome lots of info here, have some of your sechamic for the kitchen island building for my daughter for Christmas this year.
Cool, thanks. I enjoyed making the island. I'd love to see how yours comes/came out. 

homestead090

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 31, 2018, 05:37:11 AM
Wow well done .A thought came to mind as a I watched that back breaking removal --skid loader .
Ha, I've got a lot of things that come to mind while I'm doing the milling...all the way to "what am I thinking?" but it's too fun in the end. 

olcowhand

Quote from: HolmenTree on August 28, 2018, 11:03:49 AM
Good thread homestead090, thanks for sharing.
All you need now is a HD 090 gear drive to mill some big wood .

Legend chainsaw miller Will Malloff who wrote a book on the subject developed a winch setup milling oversize red cedar, redwood and doug fir with a 090Gear with a winch pulling the saw and Alaskan mill from the end of the log. This way he was away from the vibration, noise and  dust of the saw, just sit and pull the winch crank. The throttle was rigged to go WOT when tension was applied to the winch cable.

I once owned his book but sadly loaned it out to someone and it went with him when he moved out of the country .
Willard, Did he move to a Country with an Extradition Agreement with Canada? For an offense that serious, I'd send someone after him......
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

HolmenTree

Olc, still in Canada  :laugh: but on the opposite end of it from my part of the country. :D 

bwstout

Quote from: homestead090 on August 31, 2018, 09:47:23 PM
Cool, thanks. I enjoyed making the island. I'd love to see how yours comes/came out.
Well finally finished the kitchen island from your plans, as you can see not did not follow them too close ;D but they were the base starting point.  I have never learned tenon joints so I used dowels. the wood is from a lighting struck pecan from my friends plantation. The top is 36x48 I added a drawer in one end of the base.

home built mill

reedco

awesome island,  nice video  and yes to be with out the ache and pains of maturity.  
Not many trees

HolmenTree

Quote from: reedco on October 26, 2018, 10:04:05 PM
     awesome island,  nice video  and yes to be with out the ache and pains of maturity.  
So true, :D
I was in my mid 30's on my way to the woods with 16 ft trailer in tow to alaskan mill up some trees for a customer. Slid off the road into a snow filled ditch in the middle of no where.
Ended up shoveling out the whole truck and trailer , truck's 4x4 got me out 4 hours later.
Then put in 8 hours milling up my order with the 090 but not finishing  before my girlfriend came looking for me.
Yes youth helps :)

These pics here was the last time I milled with my 090 and 395XP about 5 years ago at age 56.
My sponsor who supplies 16 ft long 10"×10" timbers for my mid winter chainsaw competition went out of business with short notice. So I ended up milling the timbers myself a few days before competition day with a minus 40 below wind chill.

Cut 3 very nice white spruce 10"×14"×16ft timbers, they were almost too nice to cut up into cookies.
But 50 competitors were very happy I made them :)

homestead090

Quote from: bwstout on October 15, 2018, 09:58:13 AM
Quote from: homestead090 on August 31, 2018, 09:47:23 PM
Well finally finished the kitchen island from your plans, as you can see not did not follow them too close ;D but they were the base starting point.  I have never learned tenon joints so I used dowels. the wood is from a lighting struck pecan from my friends plantation. The top is 36x48 I added a drawer in one end of the base.

That really came out nice, I have not logged in in a while so it was a nice thing to find. Thanks for posting it. I like the changes that you made, much more interesting than my original. It's been a while since you posted, but I'd be curious about the milling and how you went about it. Great job.

Crookedkut

Wow, seeing the Stihl 090 at work is pretty impressive.   I looked into the prices for one of these and it is a pretty penny.   Good work.   :laugh:

Thank You Sponsors!