iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Look what I found in this hydro pole

Started by Quebecnewf, December 17, 2014, 04:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Still not finished yet. Mast and seats along with centreboard and rudder to add.

Quebecnewf

LeeB

Looks very very nice, but this is just a tease right? Surely you are going to provide us with more details aren't you, and more pictures? Where did you get the plans? Have you built other boats before? If you can't tell, I'm fascinated. Must know more!!!!!
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ely

FarmingSawyer

Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

thecfarm

I sure did not expect to see something like that!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

47sawdust

Qnewf-
You are one talented man.Our poles usually have nothing but boat anchors in them.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

slider

al glenn

coalsmok

drobertson

Never know what you'll find :D  not what I was expecting either! incredible work of art!  Got a dozen to saw for a lady this week,  and I'm sure we won't find anything near this,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Busy Beaver Lumber

WOW. I bet that is pretty much a lost art that not a lot of people know how to do. I have always thought of myself as a fairly decent wood worker, but that put most of what i have done to shame. Well done
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Magicman

That is a very nice "find" and I'm with LeeB.  I hope that you have some pictures of the build.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sealark37

Here is a great example of workmanship and vertical integration.  Thanks for letting us have a peep.  Regards, Clark

sandhills

sawguy21

Glad you are back, we have missed you. That is a fine piece of work. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Leigh Family Farm

Got any more of those poles around?  ;)

That's amazing work. What kind of rigging will you use? Lateen? Gaff? Sloop? I assume that the mast will be able to be taken down after each use, so no standing rigging. What plans did you use? Are you going to fiberglass the insides or just apply resin? If you haven't noticed, I have a thing for sailing  ;D

More Pictures please!!!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Ga Mtn Man

Yeah, well, what he's not telling us is just how many poles he had to saw before he found that. :laugh:

Absolutely amazing work Quebecnewf. 8)  Have you got any in-progress pics to post?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

beenthere

QuoteWhat kind of rigging will you use? Lateen? Gaff? Sloop? I assume that the mast will be able to be taken down after each use, so no standing rigging.

I missed that when looking at the pic. Didn't look like a sailing craft.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rhino135

That boat came from that one pole,the water sweld up the the wood. Just kidding very nice work.

blade69001

Nice Clinker style,

Love wooden boats we have a big wooden boat show up in Georgetown every year. Some of the prettiest wood work I have seen is there. My girlfriend just can not understand why I love it so much.
Sean P.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

Ocklawahaboy

One of my dreams is to build a wooden boat.  dont know why I havent started yet.

Delawhere Jack

Fantastic work. Pardon my ignorance, but what is a hydro pole?

WoodenHead

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on December 17, 2014, 05:31:53 PM
Fantastic work. Pardon my ignorance, but what is a hydro pole?

:D  That is a miss-used term up in these parts for a utility pole. 

A significant percentage of electricity (in Quebec particularly, but Ontario too) comes from large Hydro (water) dams.  The large utilities are named "Hydro + something else".  My utility is called Hydro One for example.  As a result electricity is often called "Hydro" and the poles "Hydro poles".   :)

petefrom bearswamp

In my experience fishing in Quebec Hydro must mean Hydro Quebec.
Great place to visit
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

beenthere

Hydro to me is hydraulic, so throws me for a second when seeing "hydro" referring to electric utility.
But guess we adapt.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Delawhere Jack

Well, I learned something today. Thanks.

Thank You Sponsors!