iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Visit From Forum Member Stanwelch

Started by WDH, February 06, 2015, 07:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I met @Stanwelch at the Pig Roast, and he told me that when he got down this way from Michigan, he would come by for a visit.  True to his word, he came by yesterday.  We looked at some hardwood timber, we looked at some pine timber. 

I also got a little work out of him  ;D.  We planed about 250 BF of walnut and sawed a big red oak log that died from the drought two years ago, and then laid on the logyard for 6 months.  The sapwood was rotten and punky, but the heartwood was solid.

Here is Stan in the planer room on the outfeed side pulling boards.

Stan has a LT15 too, so this mill was no stranger to him.  Here he is standing on a small mountain of sawdust.  We discussed sawdust, and Stan subscribes to the Jim-Rogers-5-Gallon-Bucket-Model. 

We modified quartersawed the red oak, and there was enough 6/4 for a Farm Table.  Farm Tables are very much in style. 

The weather was sunny and mid-50's.  All in all, a very nice day.  Stan, I really enjoyed your visit, and I appreciate your help.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ugly Tree

That oak looks great! What is your preferred saw dust disposal method?  My mill looks alot like yours on the sawdust side.
Woodland HM126, Massey Ferguson 3165, 440 and 210 Stihl, a lot of grunt bars.

WDH

Tractor with FEL bucket.  About 5 or 6 scoops, and I am back to walking close to the ground.  I make small piles between the rows in a pine plantation to let it break down naturally.  Don't try to sell it as it almost always has some walnut sawdust in it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

stanwelch

Danny, I want to thank you very much for the great visit yesterday. You have a very impressive operation, homestead and woodlots. You showed me more oak species on your land than I ever imagined existed. Your pine plantation lots are a thing of beauty and a real way to show how to do it right

I'm also glad you let me get a sawdust fix. I've been having withdrawal symptoms -- too much cold and snow up north!!

The person that gets the oak table top lumber is in for a real treat. The grain and rays in those boards will really POP. Sweet. Can't wait to quarter saw some oak and sycamore when I get home this spring.

We had a perfect day. Thanks again my friend. See you this summer at the Pig Roast!!

Stan
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Chuck White

A good visit is always a pleasure, especially with a Forestry Forum member!

Sounds like you both reaped benefits from it!   8)    8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

customsawyer

Sounds like a great time. Hate I missed it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Sixacresand

Another need for sawyer hostel. :D  Glad you all had Good time.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

:D :D

Just a turkey sandwich, chips, and cookies  :).  Pretty plebeian when it comes to food.  I need to do better to feed my visitors  ::).

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

Yeah, but you can't see the heat. I bet it was at least 50, maybe 60 down there. Wouldn't know what to do when it gets that warm. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

You're right, Dave, they must be baking!  I was almost down to a T-Shirt today it got up to 20 degrees, I was hot!  This mornin was subzero, dogs water bowl was froze right up!  Didn't make it to the woodstove last night slept right through it.
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

I broke out in a sweat cutting slabwood this afternoon. It felt great outside in the sun. Got in the Jeep and it was 14° outside. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

I sweated enough to save miami today hiking a few miles up steep mtn terrain, walking through snow that was almost up to my knees
Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on February 06, 2015, 08:05:30 PM
:D :D
  I need to do better to feed my visitors  ::).

digin_2 smiley_beertoast zzzz_smiley........you're doing just fine.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

fat olde elf

Glad the Michigander got down to see you Danny,  I also met him at the Pig Roast and we talked quite a while. Always glad to hear about Forum members visiting.  Keep the faith.         
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Magicman

Congrats to both of you for what looked to be a very enjoyable visit.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Was right at 5 years later, but Stan ( @stanwelch ) came by to spend a day with me again.  At least we are both still on the right side of the green grass.   He has become a good friend.  We edged and stickered some blue pine, sawed out and stickered some very nice stained ambrosia maple slabs, sold some maple and walnut to a customer, and planed some ERC. 

Some of the 9/4 maple was stout.  Having Stan here made it much more pleasant to sticker them. 

Weather was nice, low 60's.  I even saw a bead or two of sweat ;D.  No glaciation here.

Jeff

Hope to be down there in April with Stan!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Congratulations on the visit.  Maybe we can see all of you in April.  ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

K-Guy

@WDH 
He has to be a nice guy when his name s Stan!!!  ;D
But I might be biased!!!  :D

I look forward to seeing both of you at the sawing project and everyone else of course.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

samandothers

Quote from: WDH on February 06, 2015, 08:05:30 PM

Just a turkey sandwich, chips, and cookies  :)
So food this time?
Looks like y'all had fun!

richhiway

Looks like good lumber and good friends.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

WDH

Took a break and went to a local Mexican restaurant for lunch.  

Sixacresand

Good to have a working visitor like Stan.  

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!