iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is the best portable sawmill available for under $3000?

Started by titanscout, December 31, 2008, 08:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

titanscout

I'm just getting started on a log cabin project and would like to have a faster alternative to squaring the logs off than an adze or just a chainsaw. Thanks for your advice.

Dan_Shade

Having been there and done that, I have to say there isn't one :(

Where are you located?  You might be able to find something used that's pretty reasonable.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

thecfarm

Don't know your finances,but that will only buy a used one,maybe.Have to look at it a diffeant way.If you spend $5000 how much time,work. and money will you save?Welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

titanscout

Thanks for the welcome. I'm just outside of Springfield, TN. Ok, what can I get for $5000? I knew there must be a starting price, just didn't know what it was. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

thecfarm

I kinda meant a used one.But a Wood Mizer LT15 can be bought for $6000 new.Check out the Norwood site too.They are both on the left hand side as sponsors.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

titanscout

Have you heard of or know of anyone who has a "Lumbersmith"? You can see it at www.lumbersmith.com. The price for the mill and the engine needed(sold separately) would be around $2000, but it may be a piece of crap and I don't want to waste $2K if it is. I would rather put that $2K to something that you guys would recommend.

Dan_Shade

Depending on your circumstances, wants, and needs, it may behoove you to hire a sawyer to come in and do the job for you, but if you're going "little by little", that may not work.

I had an 8hp sawmill as my first post chainsaw mill, sawmill.  I'd not recommend anything under 15hp, but beyond that, it's important to have a solid bed or frame for the saw to operate against.  if the frame isn't solid and rigid, you won't get good lumber.

The thing with the small mills is you spend all of your time sawing and none of your time using.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

fishpharmer

U could build one. If you follow and stick with a good plan.  Or not.  I have alot of time, money and welding burns in my homemade mill, so I feel like I must get it going.  Also, I really love making and growing things.  It if I had all this advice when I was getting it going It would have turned out better.  In hindsight I think I may have just bought a mill.  Could have saved alot of wood that way.

I wish I had gotten all this good advice when I built mine.  I looked at your link, and its my uneducated opinion that the lumbermate would be a great saw if you cut one small log a month for woodworking projects. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Rancher

Although I probably wouldn't want to go there, there is now a bandmill available from Harbor Freight for 2K. I suppose if a person was handy with beefing it up it could work.
If you're honest you don't have to trust your memory.

Warren

titanscout,

Woodmizer LT10, LT15,  Baker Wood buddy,  Lumbermate,  all make entry level mills for part time, occassional use.  The question I would ask is:  Do you want a sawmill JUST for the log cabin ?  or Do you see yourself sawing more lumber for other projcts after the log cabin is finished ?

The reason for asking, if you just want the lumber for a cabin, and no follow on projects, you can get a lot of lumber custom sawn for $5,000 to $6,000.  Pay someone else to do the sawing and put your time and effort into other parts of the project.

OTOH, if you think you like the idea of sawmilling, and the cabin is just the first step, by all means, buy as much mill as you can afford.  I started off with a Woodmizer LT15 to make sure I would "really like" sawmilling.  Two years later traded up to a full hydraulic mill.

Welcome and Good Luck !

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

beerguy

I have a Hudson 52" mill that I use for slabbing. 46" cut between the guides.

It is reasonably well built, and uses standard parts. I liken it to a homemade mill that I didn't have to build.

They have smaller, cheaper ones that handle smaller logs.

Worth a look.

Tim L

Ripsaw offers a small mill for around $2500. They are in Andover Mass I believe. My buddy has one with a 5hp Tecumseh that works ok but truthfull as engines go, bigger is better. Depending on your needs and budget used might be worth looking into. I have a Turner and their base model is under $5000. Any top name saw would work for you.
Do the best you can and don't look back

bandmiller2

Titan,depending how large and long the logs are for your cabin chances are a cheapo mill will not cut the mustard.With the current state of the economy their will probibly be some used hydraulic mills for sale.Even if you spent a little more you can always sell the mill when your done.If you just want the logs squared hire a miller if your interested in milling ,buy a good mill.A used swing blade would also do the job.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

titanscout

Once again, thanks to all for your help. I appreciate the warm welcome and good advice. It's nice to meet you all.

Kelvin

Howdy,
Making log cabin logs square and beams are what the chainsaw mills like the Logosol mill (forgot the name) excelle  at.  Pretty good through pine especially, but not good for big or long logs.  I've seen some used ones on ebay for not too much money.  They are pretty nice for certain size logs.  Bunch of different chainsaw type mills that are pretty simple to start with.  I started with an alsakan mill which works well once you get an assortment of jigs and things together for it.  There is a lot of info on them and you can sell it when you are done pretty easy.  i just bought another one after i thought i wouldn't need one, but they are good for making large slabs with a bandmill anyhow. 

The one thing that you will face with any mill, is moving the logs.  If you have to move the logs you have to invest in lots more equipment, sometimes more than the milll itself, unless you know someone who has it all to borrow or you already have it for your job or something.  The portable ones that go to the log will allow you to make material right away and save a lot on heavy trailers, transportation, big trucks and loaders.  Moving logs is terribly hard work and expensive.  I would take my Alaskan mill right into someones back yard and walk the lumber out to my truck.  You have to look at the whole picture.  They cut slow, but you are done.  Add up the time to haul the log to the mill and you lost a lot of time moving the log around. 

You have to decide what type of material you need, first.  For instance if you have to make really long beams, i don't think the logosol will work, but the alsakan or one of the cheaper LT-15's, or norwood bandmills, are easy to lengthen as they use cheap angle iron rails you can expand out as far as need be.  Its always easiest to hire out a local miller and you will actually get the job done and learn things you never thought of unless you are experienced with making lumber.  Its money well spent.  Then if you want to still buy a mill, you will have paid for a good education and learned tricks of the trade.

kelvin

cilley

I would tell you to look at the Hud-Son mills........i have one .....and it does the job for me.....aj in NH

cilley

look at the Hud-Son mills.......it might be what you are looking for.......aj

taw6243

https://www.woodmizer.com/us/sawmills/manual/lt10/lt10.aspx

LT10 Wood-Mizer Ultra Compact Sawmill
7HP Recoil Gas Engine, Blade Tension Activator, Accurate and Quick Head Adjustment, Four Instertable Log Side Supports, Hand Push Feed System and Log Clamp

$3700
4500 hours on my 2004 LT40HDG28, CBN sharpener and auto setter, 25" woodmaster planer with 9'auto leveling bed and trac vac chip handling system, 1998 L3010 kubota, 2010 L3200 kubota Festool TS75 rail saw with 42", 75" and 106" rails.

Dave Shepard

Doesn't the LT10 come with a single phase electric motor option? I think it may be 10 HP, which would be a great option if you were to be milling near a 50 amp plug. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Banjo picker

I would just like to add about 2 cents worth.  Titan, sawmills are a lot like banjos  :D don't laugh too much yet.  They both have a lot of moving parts, that you may not fully understand at first, which can radically affect their function.  Another similiarty is that you can find a used cheep one, but it may give you such a bad taste for it because it won't stay in tune that you never really get as good as your true potential will allow.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

bandmiller2

Titan,that lumber Smith mill looks interesting and would probibly work well for squareing poles for a cabin just slow.Wonder why they don't sell the mill with the engine, possibly to skirt liability issues,sold as a kit.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!