iDRY Vacuum Kilns

"View first unread"

Started by Piston, June 02, 2013, 07:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

Is there a "View first unread" button for the forum?  I'm pretty sure there isn't but want to make sure.

Sometimes I get so caught up with going from thread to thread that I lose track of what post I ended on, it would be really handy to be able to click a magic button that remembers where I left off.  I fully understand that the main problem here is my memory, or rather, lack thereof.  ;D

I assume it's not an easy thing to add if not?

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Jeff

If you click the little orange "new" image rather than the topic name, it will take you to last post that was posted since you last read that given topic. Many people do not know that the little orange "new" image is a link.

The greatest amount of data that is held in the forum database, even greater in size than the actual topic and post data, is the data needed to help members browse and keep track of what they have or have not read on the forum. Its huge.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Piston

Quote from: Jeff on June 02, 2013, 08:03:44 AM
If you click the little orange "new" image rather than the topic name, it will take you to last post that was posted since you last read that given topic. Many people do not know that the little orange "new" image is a link.

OH

MY

GOD!!!!   

You are my HERO Jeff!  I can't believe I've gone all this time without ever knowing about that little orange "new" button!  Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.  My life is so much better now... (it's the little things)

smiley_blue_bounce smiley_blue_bounce smiley_blue_bounce smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_hollywood_cool logrite_cool logrite_cool logrite_cool smiley_hellow_im_here smiley_hellow_im_here smiley_hellow_im_here smiley_beertoast
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

giant splinter

Nice shortcut Jeff it speeds up things and is a direct link to the most current post on a topic that is being followed.
Thanks Piston and Jeff
roll with it

Jim_Rogers

On my screen under my name it says: "Show unread posts since last visit." and below that "Show new replies to your posts." And "Read most recent posts". Then the date and time.

This are active links to search lists. Click on them.

I use the second one first. And then the first one second.

Sometimes I use the third one as well. But never first or second.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Piston

Jim,
I use that all the time too, but, if you click on the title of the thread, it just brings you to the first page.  But if you click on the little orange "new" button, it brings you to where you left off last time you read the thread, so in other words, the first "unread" post.  That's a great feature to have!
-Matt

DR Buck

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on June 02, 2013, 05:42:03 PM
On my screen under my name it says: "Show unread posts since last visit." and below that "Show new replies to your posts." And "Read most recent posts". Then the date and time.

Jim Rogers

This is also my MO.  Then I follow up with the little orange 'new' button.    ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Raider Bill

Quote from: DR_Buck on July 17, 2013, 12:56:19 PM
Quote from: Jim_Rogers on June 02, 2013, 05:42:03 PM

Jim Rogers

This is also my MO.  Then I follow up with the little orange 'new' button.    ;D

They disappeared. now I have to go to the section and hit each unread post button.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Piston

Still there for me Bill.

In the upper right corner of the web page, there is a very little arrow.  Is that arrow expanded?  If I click that once, the arrow makes the menu for reading new posts, disappear, but if I click it again, it magically appears again. 
-Matt

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Dave Shepard

Yeah, that happened to me once.  :D I was lost without the Unread Posts button.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!