iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw Edger

Started by rmack, February 14, 2013, 09:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmack

I have an opportunity to purchase an old Belsaw Edger. I believe it ran on flat belts off an old side mount tractor pto.

It evidently has replaceable bits on the three blades. just wondering if this may be one of those where I cannot get replacement bits? any suggestions on what to look for when I go to see it?
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Slingshot

Here is one I have that I have not set up yet to use. It has the  non-replaceable
blades---12 inch.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,50743.msg732761.html#msg732761

loggah

Im pretty sure you can get the replacement bits,i believe the saws are 12" dia. 10 guage . Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

bandmiller2

Mack,chances are you can get bits and shanks,I believe Belsaw used Simonds bits and shanks I would think they would also use them on the edger.Can you read anything on the sides of the shanks,or show us a close picture. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

rmack

Quote from: Slingshot on February 14, 2013, 10:19:33 AM

Here is one I have that I have not set up yet to use. It has the  non-replaceable
blades---12 inch.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,50743.msg732761.html#msg732761

That must be a very rare piece, that old and not even used yet. the one I'm going to see doesn't have much paint, but what there is looks to be grey.

Quote from: loggah on February 14, 2013, 11:52:13 AM
Im pretty sure you can get the replacement bits,i believe the saws are 12" dia. 10 guage . Don

Yes, I believe the owner said they were 12" blades.

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 14, 2013, 08:54:47 PM
Mack,chances are you can get bits and shanks,I believe Belsaw used Simonds bits and shanks I would think they would also use them on the edger.Can you read anything on the sides of the shanks,or show us a close picture. Frank C.

I haven't gone to look at it yet, but as long as the bearings are smooth and there doesn't appear to be any major issues, I'll probably pick it up.  :)

btw, I was thinking of running it off my tractor pto, I believe there is about 17 hp available. I know it's not the 5hp/blade/inch of cut but we'll see what happens.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Slingshot

I stated that my belsaw edger had non replaceable blades-----I meant to say
  blades with non-replaceable teeth.
     There was no pulley on it when I got it. I put a double pulley on it and have
  an 8 HP Honda electric start engine I am going to try. Probably not enough HP
  but only want it for mostly 4/4 boards.

Thank You Sponsors!