iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

little accident at the miill

Started by wormy, November 09, 2013, 11:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wormy

I don't saw for a living but I will take on little jobs for neighbours h ere and there.I have a lt40 and yesterday I was cutting some 1 x 12 white pine was having a good day.I had cut a 20x12 can't then I cut the 1x12s leaving the boards on the mill as I went. Finished the can't and started unloading the boards by sliding them off the end of the mill one by one. Got to the last board and grab the end of the board and slid it down the mill and smashed my hand between the board and the Jack that is at that end of the mill. Ended up breaking several fingers and almost losing one finger having to have surgery next week. I was just wondering if any of you guys have had this problem with the Jacks on the lt40?

Gasawyer

Had that happen on movable toeboard and just skinned one finger down to the bone with a large cant. Got to watch those I movable parts on the mill. Hope all goes well with your hand.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

sawguy21

OWWWW!!! It only takes a moment of inattention. I hope all goes well.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

terrifictimbersllc

Ouch sorry to hear, hands on top of the wood is a good rule.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

Sorry to hear the news when anyone gets hurt!

The only time I've ever been injured (banged fingers, hands, lost fingernails, etc) is when two people have their hands on the log, cant or board. 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jim H

I always wear my gloves, but I've managed to lose a few fingernails over the years. I  tell new helpers the mill is almost as good at mashing fingers as it is at making lumber. :D
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Nomad

No, never had that happen.  But I cringe at the thought!  Sure hope everything heals okay for you.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

Ouch for sure.  I am sorry for your unfortunate accident.  I hope that there is nothing left for me to hobble myself on on (Tom) the sawmill.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Bad news partner. Hurts just thinking about it. Hope all goes well for you.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

backwoods sawyer

Ouch
When off loading a stack like that off the end of the mill I have gotten into the habit of raising the rolls, and side suports then rolling the whole stack to the end of the mill setting the end of it down on the jack then lowering the rollers so the stack is stable and off loading from there. It does two things eliminated the pinch point and shortens the distance to the stack or the roller I place on the stack making for less twisting motion.
Would like to add a third roller on or near the rear leg allowing the whole stack to just roll right off the end of the mill making for less handling of the wood.

again Ouch
Wish you a speedy and full recovery.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

WildDog

Hope all goes well for you Wormy and you don't have too much down time on your day job.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

wormy

Thank all you guys for the well wishes. That's a good ideal backwoods my mill doesn't have the rollers on it but may be something I need to invest in also some of those hydraulic jacks .

Ga Mtn Man

We usually say "no pics, it didn't happen" but in this case we'll just take your word for it yikes_smiley.  Sorry to hear about your accident.  I'll be watching out for that "pinch point" thanks your post.  Hope all heals well.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

drobertson

Sorry to hear wormy, never had that kind of smash'O,  don't sound very good either,  take care,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!