iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 562xp engine burn up

Started by Beres, January 21, 2015, 09:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beres

Need help. Bought a 562xp less than a yr ago and have only used it 5-6 times cutting fire wood. After cutting for a couple of hours last Saturday it started cutting off and wouldn't idle. Figured something was wrong so stopped using it and took it to shop on Monday. Get a call today saying that trash got past filter and messed up piston. Now I have a burned up saw and told it was operator error and warranty doesn't cover it. I have read post about the 562xp having filter problems. If so can someone please pass on the info so I can try and get my saw replaced without dropping more money on another one.

Andyshine77

We need a bigger picture.

Were you running the saw with a properly sharpened chain? How about the fuel, was it fresh and mixed properly? Do you have the old parts? if so take a pic of the piston and cylinder and post them. 

Even if the saw was missing the filter altogether, it will normally take more than a few hours of run time before it starts doing real damage. Sawdust itself is pretty soft, it's the silica in the bark that really does the damage.

With that said, it's true the filter on the 562 isn't the best. http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/death-by-dust.270211/ 
Andre.

Beres

Picking up saw tomorrow. Saw had a newly sharpened chain, fuel was Xp grade fuel mix. Was running fine until it cut off. Cord was hard to pull when tried to fire it back up after cutting off.

Andyshine77

Do you sharpen your own chains? Was the chain producing fine dust or nice big chips? I understand you used good oil, but was it mixed correctly, and was the fuel fresh?

Sorry for the questions, but I need the accurate details to give you proper advice. If dust was the cause, yes Husky owes you a new saw. However there are many things the operator is responsible for, and if not done properly will void the warranty. Every detail is important. Make sure you get the old parts as well, if they don't have them don't pay them.
Andre.

Beres

I get chains sharpened at dealership. Gas was mixed that morning using non ethanol gas.  Chips where not large but was cutting a large oak that was dry. The only trouble I have had with saw was it flooded easy and I took it in to dealer after first use and service guy told me to hold trigger and start it. I've had to do that a couple of the times I cut. Now I read on other post that say that means it needs to be reprogrammed.

Andyshine77

You shouldn't need to hold down the trigger like that on a new saw. He should have explained how to properly start the saw, or fix the problem. He did neither. The early model 562's have had numerous recalls, from carburetors, ignition coils, control modules, to case screws. Find out when the saw was made by looking at the black tab that also has the serial number.     

It's starting to sound like the chain was in fact dull, most dealer sharpened chains come back a mess. This will produce more dust, and at the same time overheat the saw. On top of that it sound like the saw may not have been functioning as it should. The result is a burned up saw, which doesn't sound to be entirely your fault.   

I hate to give advice like this, not being there or knowing the facts for certain. However from what you told me I not sure I'd be inclined to pay him, I would contact Husky first. I would definitely be looking for a better dealer if possible.   
Andre.

Beres

I do know when I bought it and looked at one online to make sure I didn't pay too much which I did. I noticed that the ones online had the flip up flue and oil caps whereas mine just had the regular caps. I'll check the yr tomorrow before I talk to owner. Is there a yr that is worse than others.

Andyshine77

Newer than 11-2012 should be fine. Spike60 would have the exact information, but that date is very close.
Andre.

JohnG28

Shops that I deal with would contact the manufacturer for you and try to get it covered. I had this happen a couple years back. They gave me almost the full original sale value back nearly 2 years after the fact when all was said and done also. I'd be talking to a better shop if that's all they have to tell you.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Beres

Went by and talked to owner and he claims that he will be making some calls. Never crossed my mind until this all happened to check when saw was made. It's a 2011 model. Kinda of mad that I paid full price in 2014 for a 3 yr old saw.

Andyshine77

Quote from: Beres on January 22, 2015, 09:27:09 PM
Went by and talked to owner and he claims that he will be making some calls. Never crossed my mind until this all happened to check when saw was made. It's a 2011 model. Kinda of mad that I paid full price in 2014 for a 3 yr old saw.

That's not really uncommon, sometimes they sit for awhile. It also takes 6 months or more after a saws built, before a dealer even sees it. What should have been done in this case, is every update should have been preformed before it was sold. I personally would be demanding a new saw, you really don't want that early 562. It will require, new case screws, carb, coil, program update, and I believe filter intake mount.

If I had to guess you're saw has an air leak from loose case screws, but that's just a guess. The saw needs to be vac and pressure tested, that way you'll know what really caused the failure. This is basic stuff they've missed, I wouldn't trust their work whatsoever at this point.

Best of luck!! Let us know what happens.     
Andre.

lumberjack48

Take the muffler off and look at the piston,if it's scored, the saw over heated. This is caused by holding it full throttle to long. If the carb is set a little to lean or chain is a little dull will cause it to over heat if you stay in the throttle to long. But the saw had been setting, a seal or gasket might have dried out causing a air leak. If its run with a air leak will score the piston real quick. I would take the saw to another dealer and have it checked out.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

hamish

The saw needs to be properly diagnosed.  If the dealer had hooked up the reader to the saw, the data given, most notably max rpm, max temp, and the fuel settings..................let alone the error codes would have given a competent dealer the means to properly diagnose the saw.  All within 5 minutes, then verified with vac/pressure test etc....
You could have easily run that saw for 10 hours without an air filter, and not caused a problem.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Mopar70

You could have very well ended up with an out of the box lemon, but andy brings up a good point on sharpening.
your chain has been more then likely sharpend with a grinder if you took it in to a dealer.
Which is ok, but ive personally heard feedback from dealers that 'dont check raker depth until the chain is half worn out"
which is poor advice.
If the dealer sharpend/ground the chain properly and filed the rakers properly you sould have been able to buck wood one handed with a noticeable engine load on the saw.

ehp

I got 1 of the first 562's that sold over here in the States and that saw has a ton of hours on it and no problems and its ported to hell and back so that should of shorten its life some what , if you saw has had to much crap go by the air filter then check the intake skirt on the piston , if its torn all to crap them maybe some did if not then that was not the problem , Some of the early 562's did have a problem with the crankcase gasket leaking once the saw got sometime on it

Spike60

The OP sent me a message asking for some advice on this. His PM ended with "help me get my money back so I can buy a Stihl". My first inclination was to blow him off after that comment, but I thought I'd ignore the unintended insult and post here for everyone.  :) I don't like playing referee for a saw that's not on my own bench. I can share some opinions or advice, but I can't actually do anything to help the OP. But a few observations:

"User error" cannot be a generic term. What was the specific "error" that the dealer is suggesting the OP has committed? It's not clear in the posts. You can't just tell a guy "user error" without defining what that error was. Doesn't seem to me that it was run long enough for any user error short of straight gassing it, which is not the case here. Whether the fault of the OP or the saw, we don't have a clear failure diagnosis. We can do a lot of guessing, but little else without solid information.

There are no "recalls" on the 562, and that is not a term that should be used. There were updates that in some cases should be done by observant dealers to their customers' saws, such as the case bolt deal.  Updates should not be, and were not intended to be done unless a problem was evident. A coil issue would be an example of this. But in no case was there a "recall" with the intention to do all of these updates to any early saws. That's just not how it works. No manufacturer would ever improve anything if every improvement was retroactive to every unit that preceded the improvement.

The reality is that warranty is only as good as the dealer's ability and enthusiasm for filing them. A dealer needs to advocate for his customer if the product is at fault. Husky has not been hesitant to make good on failures that have occurred on a few of the early 562's. Like EHP mentioned, many if not most of the early 562's are still out there doing fine. The incidents were enough to be addressed, but no one should conclude that it's just a matter of time before something that was addressed in a service bulletin will happen to them.

Two things are evident with this dealer. If that saw was 3 years old, then he doesn't sell many 562's, and certainly can't be familiar with them. And probably doesn't have the ability to check for failure codes as hamish mentioned.  Second, any decent dealer should be capable of doing his own leak down test. Kind of embarrassing that he needs to send it to the factory for this, but if that's where it is, then it's in better hands than at his shop.

So, if all of the info we have is accurate, then I think the OP could get a replacement saw out of this. There are such things as bad saws, but when combined with a not so good dealer who is quick to blame the owner because he doesn't know enough about the products he sells, then we get situations like this.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

fordf150

Beres

Spike60, thank you for your response.  I only said "so I can get my money back and get a Stihl" because in my town the place I'm dealing with is the only Husky dealer and I just don't want to deal with them any more.  I didn't want it to be a bash against any brand because I really liked my 562XP when it was running.  It was more of lack of service and knowledge of the dealership. 

Spike60

Yeah, those guys really don't seem to have a handle on things. I wouldn't want to rely on them either.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

fordf150

Quote from: Beres on February 19, 2015, 03:20:30 PM
Spike60, thank you for your response.  I only said "so I can get my money back and get a Stihl" because in my town the place I'm dealing with is the only Husky dealer and I just don't want to deal with them any more.  I didn't want it to be a bash against any brand because I really liked my 562XP when it was running.  It was more of lack of service and knowledge of the dealership.

lack of knowledge and a desire to provide good service is unfortunately an all to common problem in this day and age. Spike60 is one of those rare exceptions of a guy that will go out of his way to help and knows his product well

hamish

Bob
You hit the nail on the head.

Keep er between the ditches.

Jeremy
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Andyshine77

Bob thanks for clarifying the history of the 562xp.

BTW I'm liking my 550xp so far. It's strong runner right out of the box, even in this stupid cold weather we've been having. Firewood pile is getting a little low, so myself and my brother did some cutting yesterday 5°F and the 550 didn't miss a beat. 8)   
Andre.

Thank You Sponsors!