iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

A 28 " (DBH) hemlock would be over 200 years up here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

This tree was only 24"at DBH.I counted 110 rings.I could of missed a few.I know that hemlock grow slow.I only guessed and I was a little low.Some of the rings almost tounched in most years.Good thing I had a pen with me to keep track.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

What about the first 60 years, growing on top of one another, within an inch around the pith?  ;D ;)

j/k They will do well if growing in good conditions. I don't doubt your ring count.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Scott

Here's some pictures I took while in Pictou NS last winter. The first pictures are a Timberjack 1010 forwarder and the last one is a 1270 harvester.

Ron Scott

4510 Iron Mule Forwarder. Waiting to start its forwarding job. Malmborg timber harvest, 2/07 & 3/07.

~Ron

Ed_K

Ron, I noticed that the centers of the machine and the loader not the same. does the loader have to hang on the front half somewhere when turning the machine?
Can someone (PLEASE) let me borrow/give me ones of these. My skidder broke a drive U and did something to my transfer case so it chatters when pushed going down hill.
Ed K

Ron Scott

Ed,
The loader sits on top of the bunk load and just pivots with the machine when turning.
~Ron

Ron Scott

5010 Iron Mule Forwarder. This is a larger size iron mule forwarder recently seen along the roadside in Michigan's U.P. Note that the boom is pivoted and down on its opposite side.

~Ron

dail_h

I agree with Ed K,"Will someone please give me an iron Mule?" Hear small spoiled brat boy voice. Dosen'thave to be pretty,well painted,old derelick ,abandoned ,ugly as me,,,,,,well ,not quite that bad,would be perfect. If you could deliver it for free would be even better ;D ;D ;D
   Dail,head down running for cover :D :D :D :D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Gary_C

Most of the early forwarders including Gafner's Iron Mules had the loader's mounted on the front half with the cab, some (not Gafner's) even had roof top mounted loaders. After Gafner was bought out by Valmet (Partek Forest Products) the 500 series and the 600 series Valmets had the loaders mounted on the front. Finally the Valmet 800 series machines had the loaders mounted on the bunk section where they belong.

Those early machines with the loader on the front were a pain for sure, but they are still very productive machines and many are still working daily in the woods. However if you have a lot of pulp wood to move, especially behind a harvester cutting 50-100 cords per day, you need a newer double bunk forwarder with six or eight wheels, mini joysticks, a loader with an extend a boom on the rear half, and an automatic transmission.

Yes, there are some older machines they are practically giving away.  :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Ron Scott

Woodhauler's are often given a personal name by their owners. Her "Sexy Lady" is being loaded with pulpwood at the landing. Gothard timber harvest; 11/06.

Some other owner named woodhauler's recently noted at work were:

"Pine Marten"
"Shorty"
"Mad Dog"
"Hooter Patrol"
"Hog Tied"
"Big Wolf"
"Attitude"
"Carpenter"

~Ron

Kevin_H.

Hooter patrol...That cracks me up,
But hey, anyone giving of their time to watch out over owl's is ok in my book.  ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

farmerdoug

KevinH,

You crack me up. :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

olyman

good thread--but jeezz--took three nights to get thru it all!!!!!!! continue

Ron Scott

John Deere 440-B Cable Skidder. This small cable skidder provides support for cabling trees out of wet areas and up hill sides where selectively cut trees can not be reached directly by the iron-mule forwarder. Malmborg timber harvest; 3/07. 

~Ron

logger

That's a nice looking/clean 440 there. 8) :) ;) ;D
220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

Greenedive

Wow!!  :o
That early 70's machine looks brand new. I had one of those in the A-model many moons ago....

Ron Scott

Yes, this logger takes exceptionally good care of his equipment. The best that I've seen with older equipment. The 4010 Iron Mule shown earlier is also his.
~Ron

Ed_K

Just bought a 40A Tajfun 3pt winch. Pictures coming soon as I get it a little dirty  ;D . It'll be easier pulling 7/16s cable than 3/4 plus it comes with 200' of cable I shouldn't be pulling the end off so much.
Ed K

Ron Scott

4510 Iron Mule Forwarder. The iron mule forwarder pulls a load of aspen pulpwood uphill on its way to the landing/decking area during a break in the weather. Malmborg timber harvest; 3/07.

~Ron

thecfarm

Good luck pulling out 100 feet in a straight line through the woods.   :D   Looking forward to the pictures.That is a hyd winch,right?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

thecfarm, no it doesn't have the hydraulics.When I went to look at the different sizes I found that the hydraulic ones still have a pto shaft to the winch and the price is almost double for the hydro-remote control. I started by looking for a fully hydraulic winch and couldn't find any that would pull more than 63' per min and theres no production in that.
Ed K

Corley5

Pile of 10' grade and 100" sugar maple saw bolts.  Pile was started with a little seed on March 12 before the frost laws went on.  They went off yesterday at 8AM 8) 8) 8)

Winter's production of firewood.  Rough estimate is there's 140 cords in the two piles.  I've probably got another 30 cords or so to pick up  8)

Pile of 10 and 12' basswood grade logs.  Too bad they aren't worth more :(

Beech sawbolts.  I'll have a train load to go out next week  :)

1st train of the day  8).  The 1st in five weeks actually :)

2nd train of the day  8) 8)

3rd train  8) 8) 8)

5th train  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) loaded with maple on the lead and 12' basswood on the pup.  We were just a bit short of maple grade for a full load.  I got to BSing with Mark as he was binding down the 4th load and forgot the picture ::) ;) ;D

100" maple sawbolts and a few maple grade logs are all that's left of the big pile.  Mark'll be in tomorrow or Monday for them.  Shouldn't miss a train load by much if he comes in tomorrow and it'll be over that if he comes in next week.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

1975 Model 5000 Iron Mule with a load of maple saw timber

Pic taken earlier when there was still snow and the tire chains were still on.  The load is hardwood firewood. 

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Norm

Holy cow you've been busy!

Great pictures Greg, thanks for showing us. :)

Thank You Sponsors!