iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mimosa Tree

Started by woodhaven, July 19, 2003, 02:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhaven

Any of you guys got any of these trees. I think I have finally determine it is a Mimosa. Whats it good for?
Richard

Tom

It is an invasive species and not liked in Florida but by those who want it for a yard tree.  It doesn't get large enough to provide for lumber.  It's wood is pinkish colored and turns browner upon drying.  It is used more by turners who create bowls than by any other wood workers.  It can be used for fuel.

Mimosa is a name given to many small plants and trees from a 1" ground cover type, sensitive mimosa (see our tree and plant ID), to various acacias which reach heights of 10-15 ft.

woodhaven

Tom,
I don't know what to say except,
You Are Good
I had 2 questions about this tree and you answered them both without being ask.
Richard
Richard

Bro. Noble

I wouldn't consider it an invasive tree here although a lot have been planted in yards and they seem to grow fairly well.  They are kinda attractive and the humming birds like them.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

kelLOGg

I'm resurrecting this post because someone brought me short logs from a dying mimosa. It had a small leaflet sprouting from the bottom cut and had the typical spherical puffy blooms this year. It was 18" at the base.

This 1/8" veneer, backlit by the sun, was translucent it had so much water in it. When green it is quite heavy - we measured its density at 52 lbs/ ft^3. Googling mimosa revealed quite a bit of variation in this value. One site reported 1.11 g/cm^3 which is denser than water. I doubted that.

My friend is a master furniture builder and here he is (green shirt) admiring his lumber with a mutual friend. What can we expect when it dries out?

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

beenthere

QuoteOne site reported 1.11 g/cm^3 which is denser than water. I doubted that.

Why?  Wood cell walls are denser than water. Thus some wood sinks when in water.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: kelLOGg on October 03, 2013, 06:56:55 PM
I'm resurrecting this post because someone brought me short logs from a dying mimosa...

Kellogg,

Since all three members who participated in the original thread have passed on, you REALLY are working this resurrection thing a bit hard.  :o

Herb

BTW, that's quite the mimosa specimen. I cut one down which had a twelve inch diameter at the ground a few years back. Gave the "log" to a turner I know. Not sure if he ever did anything with it...

kelLOGg

Kellogg,

Since all three members who participated in the original thread have passed on, you REALLY are working this resurrection thing a bit hard.  :o

Herb

[/quote]

That was an unfortunate choice of words - my apologies for insensitivity.
Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

beenthere

I think those three are prolly getting a kick outta that "resurrected" line.  ;D

Remembering at least two of them, they'd be the first to toss that one out there. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Are you sure that it is mimosa?  Bark is way wrong for mimosa from what I have seen.  It is usually way smoother than your pic.  Looks more like Cunninghamia lanceolata, also called china fir or monkey puzzle.

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=449
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've never heard of a MONKEY PUZZLE  :D......but I'm guessing that's what it is.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

That is probably not the right common name.  I never seen the first puzzled monkey in any of them. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on October 03, 2013, 09:47:43 PM
That is probably not the right common name.  I never seen the first puzzled monkey in any of them.

What kind of BARK does a Puzzled MONKEY have if a Puzzled Monkey barks? 
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

woodyone.john

Are you sure that it is mimosa?  Bark is way wrong for mimosa from what I have seen.  It is usually way smoother than your pic.  Looks more like Cunninghamia lanceolata, also called china fir or monkey puzzle.

I thought Monkey puzzle trees were from the south american araucaria araucanna. But no monkeys there either.
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

WDH

Yes, I believe that you are right on the monkey puzzle name. 

LeeB

The only Mimosa I remember sawing had a much darker wood with a reddish hue to it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Texas Ranger

Leaflet does not look like mimosa, nor the wood.  Mimosa wood looks a lot like light mahogany.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

LeeB

Looks like Bald Cypress to me.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: kelLOGg on October 03, 2013, 07:46:58 PM
Kellogg,

Herb

That was an unfortunate choice of words - my apologies for insensitivity.
Bob
[/quote]

Bob,

Well, like some of the other members have already said, I'm pretty sure at least a couple of those guys are rejoicing in laughter at the unintended humor of your words and I didn't mean to imply that you had committed any kind of offence...

I just found it funny myself and hoped to lighten up the thread a bit with my observation. I think I probably didn't do as good of job of saying that as I should have. I'm sure Mr. Tom would have found it funny and Bro. Noble would have probably blamed it all on those "stupid cows"...

Take care.

Herb

kelLOGg

Quote from: WDH on October 03, 2013, 09:38:16 PM

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=449

All mimosas I have seen have smooth bark but I have never seen one this big. Does the bark remain smooth when the tree is this big? It had about 20 rings so it grew fast. What clinched it for me was my friends' description of the blossom - sounded like a mimosa for sure.

WDH

The bark does remain quite smooth as the mimosa get larger. 

grweldon

I have a Mimosa that is targeted for felling.  It might be 10-12" at the base.  I've been told on this forum that the wood can be quite beautiful.  I also concur with the others (hard to argue with Danny, I haven't seen him wrong yet) that my Mimosa has very smooth, very thin bark.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

LeeB

Bald Cypress.

MSSawmill

Looks like the mimosa we have around here, especially if it had the feathery pink blooms on it this spring. The bark changes from a smoother bark to a rougher one when the tree gets bigger, so I wouldn't be surprised if a tree that size had bark like that.

I've been curious lately about how the wood from these trees looked, so I'm glad you brought the thread back out of retirement!

Of course, take what I say with a grain of salt... I was convinced that a sweetgum was a red oak!!
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

Thank You Sponsors!